• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

No1Son

Frank Row (1)
Im somewhat confused what the best 'path' for my son is. He plays Gold Cup, CHS and NSW Country. Ive read with interest most of this sites forums but I still am finding that a lot of these kids only get somewhere because of who they know, where they are from and schooling. Ive seen league boys hold out dedicated rugby players from making squads and kids with influencial parents get picked over kids that have genuine natural talent. Ill follow my boy anywhere, but gee his been kicked in the guts sometimes and its very frustrating.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Today was the Central Coast division of the Coast to Country Cup (Schoolboys under 14s & 16s tournament held for schools that reside outside the Sydney area). The day was run with teams broken up into pools, vying for the chance to progress to the State finals. The teams that will be representing the region in Forster, on the 16th September are:

Under 14s: St Edward’s College, Gosford; & Narara Valley High School (St Edward’s won the final 31-0)

Under 16s: St Edward’s College, Gosford; & Terrigal High School (St Edward’s won the final 5-0)

It was a great day of rugby and the stand out team of the day was definitely the Eddies 14s. They won every game by 30 points or more (not bad considering the games went for only 18 minutes) and had no points scored against them. They are shown below holding the winner’s Cup.

Good luck in Forster, boys.
Winners.JPG

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
To the Country boys heading off to Tamworth this weekend, give it to those City boys, take it up to them hard and physically and don't step backwards.

Carn those Country Boys.

Megsy

Frank Row (1)
Im somewhat confused what the best 'path' for my son is. He plays Gold Cup, CHS and NSW Country. Ive read with interest most of this sites forums but I still am finding that a lot of these kids only get somewhere because of who they know, where they are from and schooling. Ive seen league boys hold out dedicated rugby players from making squads and kids with influencial parents get picked over kids that have genuine natural talent. Ill follow my boy anywhere, but gee his been kicked in the guts sometimes and its very frustrating.

I totally agree with this, I dont rate the coaches at illawarra as they are prime examples of this, maybe theyll learn next season when lose a family of supporters and a star player! And this is why city gets stronger as they dont put forward family and friends before pure talent

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Vintage performance from Country in the 17's. Well done.

Any other scores from today, and/or NSW team announcements?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Can't help too much with team list yet 3 Hunter boys selected 1 Prop Harry Johnston Holmes ( also played schools NSW 2s ) inside centre Isaac Enright and full back Joe Woods

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Vintage performance from Country in the 17's. Well done.

Any other scores from today, and/or NSW team announcements?
14s SYDNEY 15 - 0
15s SYDNEY 26 -10 (approx)
16s Draw

Scully Park, Tamworth a fantastic, fast pitch, that looked a treat despite heavy rain Sat. Bacon & Egg rolls 9 out of 10 and CJRU did a terrific job hosting the day.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I totally agree with this, I dont rate the coaches at illawarra as they are prime examples of this, maybe theyll learn next season when lose a family of supporters and a star player! And this is why city gets stronger as they dont put forward family and friends before pure talent
the grass is definitely not greener in the city. though its the lads that get picked in spite of their socially inept parent that are clearly consistent performers

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The NSW Age Group Rep Teams are usually on Sydney Juniors and NSW Juniors Web pages within 24 hours if past history is anything to go off.

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)
My son also played district & NSW Country
But got to the point he needed a better standard of rugby . At 16/17went to Sydney colts & has played 1st grade colts . His game as progressed 10 fold over the last 2 seasons. We would of loved to stay with country but the standard at local level is to poor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)
I agree with this aswell . This is one reason we went to Sydney . Coaches picking their sons / sons friends/ friends sons etc

Piller

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know where we can see names of players who have made NSW teams from this weekend?

NSW Under17

14 from Country U17

Nick Cushan
Maxwell Stewart
Angus Clark
James Finch
Nicholas Mccrohon
Josh Noonan
Josh Thorndyke
Shaun Townsend
Issac Enright
William Latu
Brodie Ford
Joseph Woods
Harry Johnson-Holmes
Brad Hauville

9 from Sydney U17

Tyrell Thorson
Tim Anstee
Johnathan Chapman
Sam Reimer
Michael Yarham
Andrew Graham
Daniel Harvey
Kyle Cotton
Brandon Marsh

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
NSW Under17

14 from Country U17

Nick Cushan
Maxwell Stewart
Angus Clark
James Finch
Nicholas Mccrohon
Josh Noonan
Josh Thorndyke
Shaun Townsend
Issac Enright
William Latu
Brodie Ford
Joseph Woods
Harry Johnson-Holmes
Brad Hauville

9 from Sydney U17

Tyrell Thorson
Tim Anstee
Johnathan Chapman
Sam Reimer
Michael Yarham
Andrew Graham
Daniel Harvey
Kyle Cotton
Brandon Marsh

Central Coast - 3
Hunter - 3
Central West - 1
Central Norh -1
Illarrawa - 6

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with this aswell . This is one reason we went to Sydney . Coaches picking their sons / sons friends/ friends sons etc

If this is the lad I think it is, it was most interesting that he was deemed not good enough to make Sydney U17 last year, even though he was a regular starter for Colts First Grade.

Seemingly boys playing schoolboy footy in an understrength 14 game Sydney Juniors administered Under 17 age grade competition with no private school 1st XV stars were considered more talented than a lad playing in an 18 round Under 20's competition full of rock star players from the previous 2 years private school rugby programme graduates.

Despite the best of intent from the self-interested politically motivated coaches, selectors and administrators, cream rises to the top in Colts and Grade football where ongoing selection is dependent on last weeks performance and not high school or previous junior age group representation and reputation.

Good luck to your lad @rugbyconvert.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
If this is the lad I think it is, it was most interesting that he was deemed not good enough to make Sydney U17 last year, even though he was a regular starter for Colts First Grade.

Seemingly boys playing schoolboy footy in an understrength 14 game Sydney Juniors administered Under 17 age grade competition with no private school 1st XV stars were considered more talented than a lad playing in an 18 round Under 20's competition full of rock star players from the previous 2 years private school rugby programme graduates.

Despite the best of intent from the self-interested politically motivated coaches, selectors and administrators, cream rises to the top in Colts and Grade football where ongoing selection is dependent on last weeks performance and not high school or previous junior age group representation and reputation.

I reckon it might be the same in the NSW Country eagles selections!!

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)

Yes it Hugh, you've got a good memory.
This season he knew better and didn't even
consider going thru the CHS school boys pathway . Ended up getting selected in the Waratahs / Sydney colts development squad
Keep up the great posts & stats

sideline server

Stan Wickham (3)
Great result from the Country 17's. Was a dominant performance, even when they were down to 13 men late in the first half due to two yellow cards. To a man the Country boys outplayed their City rivals and probably deserved to dominate the NSW U17's selections. Lets not down play the significance of selection in this NSW side, there are still a lot of talented individuals in team and they have all put in the hard yards to get there. Lets hope NSW Juniors now come up with someone for them to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.