• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gold Coast Bulletin reporting no contract for Hunt at the Suns
e2u3u2y7.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe this is just the AFL paving the way for the Reds announcement?

They know he's leaving and possibly know he's already signed by the Reds but making an announcement makes it seem like it was entirely their choice rather than his or a mutual decision.

The Suns are right not to re-sign Hunt. He did well in AFL given the difficult transition and was an important part of their side in the first couple of years. Now all their top draft picks are coming of age and as expected are turning into excellent AFL players.

T

tranquility

Hunt was never above 95kg playing NRL and now is in the 80s. If he was exceptional quick I could see him excelling, but he really isn't

Technically true, in that he does not have an elite fourth gear. However, it doesn't tell the whole story.

He has what's called a very fast "first step." Which if you watched any of his Footy, especially contested footy in AFL, it allowed it get out of traffic really effectively. His first 10 meters are lightning, he just doesn't explode into a higher gear. There is a reason they test players over 10 meters however.

T

Train Without a Station

My view and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that top pace rather than acceleration is more important at 13 when you aren't 105+kg. his acceleration would be better suited to 12. Tapaui is quite similar in that regard isn't he?

T

tranquility

Yeah he is. I was going to mention him (Taps).

I'm not advocating that he play 13. But in terms of changing his hip direction (run correct lines, or change his line just prior to contact), and getting his footwork organised. His strong first step means that he is very strong in contact and also means he dictates contact by being in a better position than the defender as he takes contact. Long story short, he would handle the compressed spaces fine, and his speed shouldn't be a factor on either side of the pill.

It's just a waste to play a bloke like him in a battering ram role, when you have players like Kerevi, Sautia etc and then he can capatalise on the space created.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fuck has he signed yet? Knock 100k off it!

It would be nice but I reckon with all the press the Reds will get if the do sign him will be worth the 700k all day. I don't think for a minute the Suns were ever interested in signing him past this year because they knew they would never match the dollars of League and Aussie or French Union. I also see K as a 15 or 13 with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing.
I don't think pure pace is that important for a 13 but do agree you need to be bigger if that is the case. In saying that Ant F is possibly the slowest outside centre I have ever seen(would make Special K look like Usain Bolt) and he isn't big at all and he has been successful in the past.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It would be nice but I reckon with all the press the Reds will get if the do sign him will be worth the 700k all day. I don't think for a minute the Suns were ever interested in signing him past this year because they knew they would never match the dollars of League and Aussie or French Union. I also see K as a 15 or 13 with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing.
I don't think pure pace is that important for a 13 but do agree you need to be bigger if that is the case. In saying that Ant F is possibly the slowest outside centre I have ever seen(would make Special K look like Usain Bolt) and he isn't big at all and he has been successful in the past.

I mean slowest back not just outside centre.;)

T

Train Without a Station

I don't necessarily believe in marketing value when you have a salary cap though. You have limited funds to create success on the field and commercial benefits will not assist this really.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed in part but Hunt isn't like a Folau going to Western Sydney AFL. He has played this game at high level and been a star in League which I believe will certainly help him be a key to the Reds Success. In reality all Super rugby Teams are a business and the more exposure you get the more money you make. K Hunt will get the Reds plenty of exposure when and if they sign him and the value will roll in from there. Hopefully it brings them in a windfall and they have enough $$ to let RG go and hire someone who can actually have a coach guide all 23 players to a succesfull year.

T

Train Without a Station

Folau's marketing value was outside the AFL cap.

What I'm saying is that if we pay hunt $300k more than out next best player and he manages to play just as good as that other player, which I do expect him to, we are still $300k less room in the cap for the rest of the team.

T

tranquility

Yes but what we have done is payed our rookies less in theory.

Johnson + Kerevi + Kuridrani I am assuming if we hold him will be on less money than Rocket, Shipperley and Aidan were on let's say.

The problem we had is that Shippers had that break out year, and Rocket was a previous Wallaby so despite them being sound Super Rugby players we were probably paying them too much. Aidan was probably on not much though given his injury history.

This is one pretty possible way of making up 300k. Not to mention if we sign Same Greene to replace Mike Harris and Paraka to replace Owen.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Really? Any indications as to who it is? By "international" do you mean international in the sense that:

(a) he's not from around here; or
(b) he plays (or played) international (i.e. Test) rugby?

It's not Brad Thorn. No full details yet but I can say from little inside info that it's an international no.8, couple people are playing cards very close to their chest. Hopefully get a name soon. Also everyone can feel a little more comfortable now Reds have locked in both Hunt and O'Connor for 2015.

T

tranquility

If we have nabbed Hunt, O'Connor & "an International 8*", I am feeling pretty good really.

Given who we have lost, and don't forget that Kerevi is a "gain" as there are no EPS next year, and he will join the senior squad.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If the Kiwi backrower rumour is true, Elliot Dixon/Nasi Manu?
Someone in the thread said he was AB capped?
In that case, it has to be Victor Vito - I read somewhere he was looking to head overseas, and he is no dead certainty to play for the ABs with Read, Kaino and Messam ahead of him.

T

tranquility

I think the fact that it is a kiwi is just Chinese whispers though isn"t it?

Although, I think Victor would be a good fit.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes but what we have done is payed our rookies less in theory.

Johnson + Kerevi + Kuridrani I am assuming if we hold him will be on less money than Rocket, Shipperley and Aidan were on let's say.

But still. The $5M cap between all players works out about $127k each roughly. The minimum wage is $67.5k.

If hunt is on $700k that's $573k above the average. Now in order to pay Hunt $700k we'd need 9.5 players on the minimum wage.

That's before we even look at Genia, Cooper, Gill who with no top up would be on more and potential Tapuai. With reportedly no ARU top up surely the Fainga'as, Slipper, Simmons, Hanson and Horwill all would likely be on above the average here. If every one of this player is on even $180k at the Reds that basically would leave every other player in the squad on the minimum $67.5k.

If that's the case there is surely a lot more pain to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.