• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon if Kurtley doesn't lock down a run-on spot by the end of the RC then he will fuck off to Rugby League.

I don't think he will, but if he does so what, Cooper will be back next year to take his place in the Squad. He is a lose because of his impact from the bench, but we have enough depth to cover his lose.

T

Train Without a Station

No player is keeping a jersey warm for Speight though. They have an opportunity to make that jersey their own until Speight is eligible . Much like if there is injuries. If they don't, Speight will get an opportunity. If they do, he will have missed out until there is the next opportunity.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
It's also likely to become a battle between whoever gets named on the opposite wing to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (possibly Tomane), and Kuridrani. With Speight likely to slot straight in on one wing, they have the option of either replacing Tomane directly or moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to outside and dropping Kuridrani.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't buy Kurtley's reasoning for going as purely just wanting a starting spot. You get the same cash payments for being in the 23 and seeing as he's an impact player rather than an injury replacement he usually gets a solid 15 mins off the bench anyway. Firmly believe the league line was just used to boost his next contract since his current one would be dirt poor and don't think he has any intention of going to league.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The guy's going to be a Super Star.. The Demolition Jobs he did on the Force and Chiefs is pretty standard for Speight, if you give him the ball.

And that sort of space! Force defensive line very passive and Chiefs didn't crowd him at all. He doesn't need much, so give him none!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hiding in defence and playing on the wing are two different things. QC (Quade Cooper) defended at fullback for the Reds. Nobody said we should have fit him in the Wallabies as a fullback

It's Super Rugby, I'm not really sure he's hiding there..didn't see too many opposition teams identify and exploit a hole there..so if you rightly assume he can hold his own in defence out wide, and it's known he can attack from anywhere, and he has a stack of speed, then yes he can play there. I'm not saying it's the only or even the most likely option, but it's an option.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Please no Beale in the starting XV. He has always excelled at super xv but rarely for the wallabies apart from a few great runs from broken play at fullback. Defensive issues, poor passing, basic errors have always crept in his game. The brumbies ran all over him early in the season and they are hardly the biggest backline compared to most Test team out there. We'll see how he goes tomorrow night hopefully he can prove me wrong but I highly doubt it.
So its impact player from the bench for Beale.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
By the way, What ever happened to Goodwin, thought he would be in the mix for 12, I'd have him for a future 12 prospect over Beale.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
By the way, What ever happened to Goodwin, thought he would be in the mix for 12, I'd have him for a future 12 prospect over Beale.
Was injured just before the test break. Link said he would have been in the squad had he not been injured.

He will play on the NRC maybe a chance for the EOYT but prob look to next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Please no Beale in the starting XV. He has always excelled at super xv but rarely for the wallabies apart from a few great runs from broken play at fullback. Defensive issues, poor passing, basic errors have always crept in his game.

He's one of only three current Wallabies to have been nominated for the IRB player of the year. The other two (Pocock and Genia are out injured).

Saying he's rarely performed well for the Wallabies is completely reinventing history.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Godwin missed half the season or more through injury. I don't think he was nearly as good this year as last. I think he will return for the NRC.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He's one of only three current Wallabies to have been nominated for the IRB player of the year. The other two (Pocock and Genia are out injured).

Saying he's rarely performed well for the Wallabies is completely reinventing history.

Yes I do admit I do tend to exaggerate Beale's deficiencies mainly to get my point across firmly.
However my response is this. He wasn't nominated for his defence that's for sure. He was nominated for his counter-attacking abilities, which he was doing quite often at the time.

IMO he is a great fullback for that reason. But currently Falou is better and is a more complete player. And at 12 which many seem to be placing Beale his deficiencies are greater then at fullback.

Beale 2nd option Fullback. Way down the pecking order for centres.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I'm a massive fan of KB (Kurtley Beale) I actually think his a fantastic footballer but his best is 15 and well that's compared to Izzy.. Now I think 11 Izzy 14 Speight 15 Beale is the most dangerous in the world.. but moving Izzy is hard ..

T

tranquility

I'm a massive fan of KB (Kurtley Beale) I actually think his a fantastic footballer but his best is 15 and well that's compared to Izzy.. Now I think 11 Izzy 14 Speight 15 Beale is the most dangerous in the world.. but moving Izzy is hard ..

True.

However a combination with Izzy at 15 is greater than the sum of that combination or any combination with him on the wing.

I would prefer to run a back three, with a tradesman like winger just to keep Folau at the back.

Such as; Coleman, Izzy, Speight.

So much of Izzy's game is roaming from the center of the field. Teams don't want to kick to him, and if they do they need to re-align real quick. He is just an absolute nightmare - to put him on the wing should be instant dismissal as Wallabies coach.

Just to avoid any hoopla, I am not suggesting Coleman be a Wallabies winger.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
True.

However a combination with Izzy at 15 is greater than the sum of that combination or any combination with him on the wing.

I would prefer to run a back three, with a tradesman like winger just to keep Folau at the back.

Such as; Coleman, Izzy, Speight.

So much of Izzy's game is roaming from the center of the field. Teams don't want to kick to him, and if they do they need to re-align real quick. He is just an absolute nightmare - to put him on the wing should be instant dismissal as Wallabies coach.

Just to avoid any hoopla, I am not suggesting Coleman be a Wallabies winger.

Coleman is gold.. so no hoopla here, he has all the skill speed and dedication and just lacks size.. imagine him at 100 kg and 6'1..

And I agree, Izzy is best coming from the back and looking for the ball, I just feel he would feel lost on the wing.. Unlike Speight who is a perfect winger loves beating guys in no space playing in the channel of the sideline.. I dont think theirs a better player in that small sideline space.. which is a big difference in speight and izzy not good or bad just different..

But back too, then KB (Kurtley Beale) is a fullback and to fit him in will limit izzy..

T

tranquility

Coleman is gold.. so no hoopla here, he has all the skill speed and dedication and just lacks size.. imagine him at 100 kg and 6'1..

And I agree, Izzy is best coming from the back and looking for the ball, I just feel he would feel lost on the wing.. Unlike Speight who is a perfect winger loves beating guys in no space playing in the channel of the sideline.. I dont think theirs a better player in that small sideline space.. which is a big difference in speight and izzy not good or bad just different..

But back too, then KB (Kurtley Beale) is a fullback and to fit him in will limit izzy..

I agree with all of this.

This area is known as the tram tracks.

When I used to run around, we had a conservative coach who found it completely irresponsible to be bungled into touch. His thought was why should you attack against 17 men, when you only need to defend against 15. His philosophy was to only play between the 5 meter lines of the width of the pitch. We referred to the 5 meter line as the "electric fence", as in the the electric fence of the tram tracks. An as an outside back if you were in support it was critical that you called "electric fence" so the ball carrier knew exactly where he was in relation to the touchline because defender 16 & 17 are the best defenders in the team. It was an effective, and sound enough game plan - but with players like Henry I am very glad none of the Australian sides adopt this approach.

The communication on the rugby field is one of the most beautiful parts of the game, and it's a shame that we don't hear more about it. Well oiled teams have such a clear idea of what to do in all areas of the pitch, that it is a thing of beauty to hear an entire team communicating in unison, as if off a hymn page. Another common one is "doggit" when a player is getting too far over the gain line and isolating himself from support. It literally means to drop to the ground so that your support can catch-up. I suspect the Reds are a very poor communicating side, as a result a machine running without oil. We desperately need a service.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think all of the above is just fuelling the argument to put KB (Kurtley Beale) on the vacant wing spot..personally I do think he will be on the bench first game because it's the AB's and he is potent as a sub, but I'm still insisting it's a valid option and don't be surprised if it happens at some point.
And back to the root of the argument, I'm still interested to see the stats in the morning of To'omua cf Beale from tonight's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.