• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think he has done very well controlling a good team around the park. He would have to be in the mix as a result of this season.

T

Tigers Tale

Third would be welcome down at Tigerland but he'd probably have to play #12 or #15 with Brandon @ #10.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's a very different group at the Dragon's than I have seen over my last 8 to 10 years here. They seem a lot more determined and less reliant on the skill of individual players than they have in the past.

The best two pick ups in the off season have been Hirsimaki and Mitchell from the Stingrays. They just go all day and set the tone for the team. Along with Adams, Rochester and the other no-names they seem to relish the hard work.

The backline has been something else. I will continue to repeat myself but Henry Taefu has been outstanding. Everyone has contributed at different time and the return of McIntyre has taken them to another level, without trying to down play the great effort put in by young Mitch Third.

Talking to the players they are all loving playing at the moment and are excited by the upcoming games but they aren't looking past what they see as a tough away game at GPS this weekend.

The team aren't big noting themselves and are very focused on their next job.

And yes TT the 40m maul on Saturday was a thing of beauty.

The maul was a wonderful thing to watch wasnt it :) bring on this weekend against GPS

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Third would be welcome down at Tigerland but he'd probably have to play #12 or #15 with Brandon @ #10.

If he was moving it wouldn't be to a club that has an established 10. He's better off at the Dragons where he'll get plenty of game time when not playing U20's.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brandon has still got a few more years in him, TT.

Andrew Coady plays his 200th Premier Grade game this weekend. A great achievement.

T

Tigers Tale

Third will be a 007 then in no time it all makes sense.

Filth Coady's 200 - great achievement by a great bloke by all accounts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting game out at GPS today. GPS took the honours 39-24.

The Bank looked the goods early and probably dominated the first half playing solid and safe footy. GPS remained in it but made a lot of mistakes. Turning point was when Rex Tapuai was binned just before half time. Moments before big Sam Johnson had run over the top of Jake McIntyre, who had to be replaced, and that moment clicked then Gallopers into gear. Then when Rexy Taps went off, GPS took off.

Samu Kerevi was outrageously good. Pushed some passes for sure, but he was outstanding. Scored 2 and set up at least 2 more. Phil Kite scored a couple too, one out wide and one in tight.

Sam Johnson was bloody good and Kurindrani dangerous. Sam Grasso was very good in the 2nd half.

For the Bank, their pack were good. Big Lolo and Ben Adams, McCaffrey and Rochester were very physical. McIntyre looked badly injured and got replaced by Mitch Third, who I thought ignited his backline well, but Jake came back in the last quarter, which was odd to me.

GPS overall looked damn good. They are contenders as long as Kerevi is available. Their challenge remains around 10 I reckon. Tuttle was a little loose and wayway this game. Good people around him will help.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great game from GPS today, Johnson and Kerevi well and truly showed their class completely outplaying their opposites. We were unlucky to lose Villi F. with a compound fracture to his wrist.

Good day for the club, only dropping prem colts and colts II.

something

Jim Clark (26)
uni bros was a nailbiter. 1point in it until the dying minutes when uni scored the winner. Uni forwards outdid bros in almost every aspect, just looked like they wanted it more; especially in first half. But brothers crawled back and hung in there.

was a weird game IMO. felt for such a close one it was kind of boring (that being said i only watched the podcast as i am away so you cant really judge ambience).

In the young fly half battle neither did a lot to really stand out. Greene put in some epic in-play kicks but missed a few penalties he'd usually nail, was good in defence. Dalgleish was comprehensive but lacked any flair or threat. Very dependable though and got involved a lot more.

again though, i only watched the podcast so my view is a bit distorted i think

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Who is going to get the Bond job?

Rumour has it the majority of the shortlist are Sydney based with Nudgee Rugby director (sorry not sure of name but apparently a former QRU staffer) and Rebels asst coach Hedger the only ones with a QLD association to make the final cut. Heard some crazy gossip that the likes of Jim Williams, Todd Louden (ex Waratahs coaching staff) missed the final shortlist so whoever these sydney based blokes are must be super high calibre.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
TT was out at Bottomley yesterday to watch your tigers vs Bond. I think the way the day ended with the rain, thunder and lightning mirrored the game. It was looking like a great day with Bond starting well to open the scoring and then the heavy rain, lightning and thunder that was the Easts Tigers came rolling over the top and completely demoralised Bond. That young back row of yours is nothing short of outstanding with Gunn just absolutely pumping our big blokes. Mullins does so much work off the ball and can play any position and would do it justice and Placid is just a freak with every touch of the ball and Paraka first game back was hard to handle as he bullied his way through Bond's defence at will. Bond tried hard but were simply outclassed and it astounds me that the tigers are not featuring in the finals given the performance they put in yesterday, they would beat most teams in the comp.
I hope the new DOR that comes in gets his hands dirty and starts to make things happen on the Coast.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Brothers and University game was very equal overall. Each team dominated in different periods.

University started strongly and scored two early tries. Whilst Brothers hit back to leave the scores 17-13 to the home side.

Giles Beveridge scored early in the second-half, 18-17.

University then picked up three penalties, before Brothers scored again in the corner, Greene kicked a conversion from out wide, 26-25.

University scored right on full time, which didn't do justice to Brothers. I thought University should only have won by a point. An 8 point difference didn't reflect the game.

Very, very proud of the filth. I thought they deserved to win. But, University are a very good side.

Hats off the Coady (200th Cap) and Buchanan (100th Cap) from both respective clubs.

St Lucia is great to watch footy from. I managed to see all of the "Old Boys Day" game, which was a sensational spectacle of high quality rugby. ;)
However, it was a great initiative from University and I imagine the post match nutrition of XXXX Gold and Meat Pies went down well.

Looking forward to heading out to Ballymore for the finals.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Go on Mitch, McIntyre is in the way and at Bond it would be you and daylight second and it sounds like all your old team mates will leave Souths and return to Bond.
Very interesting Crusher. Who's leaving Souths & returning to Bond?

They could be building nicely for next season if this is the case.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS overall looked damn good. They are contenders as long as Kerevi is available. Their challenge remains around 10 I reckon. Tuttle was a little loose and wayway this game. Good people around him will help.

On this - it may be a bold move but if I were Shane Arnold I'd consider starting Liam McWhirter this weekend and having Bobby Tuttle play for Premier Colts to get some structure back.

McWhirter is a seasoned player and with such good strike weapons out wide in Johnson, Samu, Kurindrani etc, his steady passing and kicking game, with nothing too flashy could be good. In the same regard, GPS Prem Colts have been on a 3 game losing streak since securing the minor premiership. Having Tuttle back could ignite their back line and give them a trip straight to the Grand Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.