• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tips for the Final Round

Parramatta v Penrith.
The M2B will be disappointed with their performance last week and will be out to finish the season on a high point, especially in this "local" derby. The Emus will also be keen to show that last week wasn't a fluke, but they haven't performed too well away from Emu Park this year. Tries aplenty, but the Emus to fade in the last quarter to lose by <10.

Manly v West Harbour. The MMM will approach this like it is a training run for the finals series. They will let in a try for two but will win by a very comfortable margin, 24+.

Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs
The Corporation have been consistent. The Beasts haven't. Uni will win by 15+

Northern Suburbs v Randwick
The Shoremen have been disappointing this year. Wicks have hit a purple patch and in a rare display for this year, they have named the same team that put the Rats to the sword last week. Wicks will be too good and will get the chocolates by > 12 points in an ugly victory.

Gordon v Southern Districts
The Gay Gordons have been on the improve but have consistently come up short, as they will do against The Hobbits who will be keen to put on a good dress rehearsal for their finals campaign. Home advantage will mean little for the Highlanders who will not get within 15 points of the Hobbits.

Warringah v Eastwood
Harder to pick than the combination to the safe at the Commonwealth Bank in Martin Place. There is everything and nothing to play for. Finals places are assured for both combatants and can not change. Rats have home town advantage and will be keen to replicate the form they showed against the MMM. Woodies had an ugly victory last week and are due for one of their "good" games. Rats by <7.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I can't see why it is pointless, when Croke played in what was an average performing 20's side. And to gain base to my argument, that you say is pointless, why is not O'Connor from manly colts, Vea from randwick colts, Perry from canberra not listed? Robertson and Sandell from Uni? Aus 20's players?
Sometimes it is better to look at another synonym than pointless

Agree with this thinking especially when the fringe SS players, many of whom are very early 20s in age, have also played high level rep football such as Aussie 20s however are now viewed as SS players. That just emphasises the difference in standard and the futility in fast tracking Colts unless they are of the ilk of a Kellaway or Cam Clarke. In other words, why give priority to an untried under 20 Rep kid, when there are 21 & 22 yo former rep kids that have proven themselves in the SS? Don't selectors rate the SS? Are players to old at 22? Of course not, the aim of the NRC is to bring these lads through. Bet the Kiwis & Saffers wouldn't be promoting 18 yo hot house flowers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't be picking Uni to make the final they have to face Warringah at Pittwater which they could easily lose and then Manly in a semi. It's not like last year where they had a massive influx on Super Rugby players late. They'll have a couple at most.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
A depressing year for the development & future of Rugby in Sydney's West.
Number of teams in the finals playoffs from Penrith,Parramatta,& West harbour clubs ?
Penrith-0 grade,& 0 colts.
Parramatta-0 grade,& 0 colts.
West Harbour- 4th grade only ,& 0 colts.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Number of teams in the finals playoffs from Penrith,Parramatta,& West harbour clubs ?
I think Wests 2's fell over the line into 6th despite with a 4 try bonus point after the bell despite losing the match . I mused about Pirates possibly stacking sides to get teams in - no real evidence of it but certainly their lower grades seemed strong as opposed to a very poor first grade today Marlins quality not withstanding........

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not quite correct. Parra 3rd grade colts made semis

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Are you sure?
According to the table finished equal with Wests on 24,but Wests had more wins.
Either way I think you get my drift.

Grade SATURDAY
Time Grade Manly Oval Pittwater Rugby Park
3:00pm 1st Manly v Randwick Sydney Uni v Warringah
1:15pm 2nd Eastwood v West Harbour Sydney Uni v Gordon
11:40am 3rd Manly v Eastwood Sydney Uni v Southern Districts
10:15am 4th Manly v Warringah Sydney Uni v Eastern Suburbs

GRADE SUNDAY
Time Grade TG Millner
3:00pm 1st Eastwood v Souths
1:15pm 2nd Manly v Warringah
11:40am 3rd Warringah v Randwick
10:15am 4th Eastwood v West Harbour

COLTS SATURDAY
Time Grade Forshaw #1 Forshaw #2
3:00pm Colts 1 Sydney Uni v Eastern Suburbs
12:00pm Colts 1 Randwick v Manly
11:40am Colts 2 Sydney Uni v Southern Districts
10:00am Colts 3 Sydney Uni v West Harbour Southern Districts v Manly

COLTS SUNDAY
Time Grade Forshaw #1
3:00pm Colts 1 Southern Districts v Northern Suburbs
1:10pm Colts 2 Northern Suburbs v Randwick
11:30am Colts 2 Eastwood v Manly
10:10am Colts 3 Eastwood v Northern Suburbs

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
One of the worst days I can remember at Manly Oval today. The Pirates were embarrassing,totally outclassed and their lack of commitment in defence just woeful. Some individuals excepted of course but overall not good enough.

Manly Oval - what can I say? I've already said it. I was dreading coming here and it lived up to every one of my low expectations. The ridiculously positioned stand. The complete inability to find a single vantage point to see the game. The players appear tiny,such is their distance from the sidelines. Don't get me started on the crowds. I suppose when the score is 79-15 it's possible to lose interest in the action on the ground. But I never saw anyone take more than a passing interest in the game. It is a big social catch up where the crowd drinks beer and chit chats. I've got nothing against drinking beer,I'm sure my posts of a Saturday evening can confirm that,but I like to concentrate on the match. The joint is full of kids and dogs. I don't mind kids. I used to have some. And I don't mind dogs at the footy either. Quiet dogs that sit around looking indifferent and minding their own business. Not barking dogs. They annoy me. The constant din of chattering women and dogs barking and men gibbering and kids wrestling and Pirates letting in 15 tries was all too much for me!!!

I think I'll drop into Concord tomorrow just to enjoy some peace and quiet!!!

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I forgot to mention the ground announcer at Manly. As I entered the ground I could hear him. Three and a half hours later driving away from the ground his amplified voice was the last thing I heard as I made my way home. Is he paid by the word??

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I forgot to mention the ground announcer at Manly. As I entered the ground I could hear him. Three and a half hours later driving away from the ground his amplified voice was the last thing I heard as I made my way home. Is he paid by the word??
Paul you had a great time, good to see you travel. Having 4 Ganges at the one oval doubles your experience would have loved to see the your post with all in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.