• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
There isn't really a third tier besides the NRC. There is the Shute Shield in Sydney and the Hospitals cup in Brisbane. This is what you would probably call the 3rd tier before NRC. These are really 1st Grade district competitions, neither national nor state based. Canberra, Melbourne and Perth have their own Grade comps and there are several country comps.

In 2007 there was a similar concept to the NRC called the ARC but it cost too much money and didn't involve the Sydney Shute shield teams to a level of their satisfaction so it became politically and economically tenuous and was discontinued after only one season.

The difference this time is that the Melbourne team does not need to relocate players from interstate which was part of the reason the ARC blew the budget (there wasn't a Rebels Super rugby team in 2007). Also now the Sydney teams contribute to their NRC team and particularly the powerhouse Sydney University club pretty much have their own team, the Sydney Stars. Not every Sydney club is happy though...

T

Train Without a Station

Interestingly enough, there was also the Australian Rugby Championship or Australian Provincial Championship in 2007. This had teams from the Reds, Force, Brumbies and Waratahs minus test players. It was unfortunate they didn't continue this at least.

Barbosa

Bob McCowan (2)
There isn't really a third tier besides the NRC. There is the Shute Shield in Sydney and the Hospitals cup in Brisbane. This is what you would probably call the 3rd tier before NRC. These are really 1st Grade district competitions, neither national nor state based. Canberra, Melbourne and Perth have their own Grade comps and there are several country comps.

In 2007 there was a similar concept to the NRC called the ARC but it cost too much money and didn't involve the Sydney Shute shield teams to a level of their satisfaction so it became politically and economically tenuous and was discontinued after only one season.

The difference this time is that the Melbourne team does not need to relocate players from interstate which was part of the reason the ARC blew the budget (there wasn't a Rebels Super rugby team in 2007). Also now the Sydney teams contribute to their NRC team and particularly the powerhouse Sydney University club pretty much have their own team, the Sydney Stars. Not every Sydney club is happy though.

And what was there prior to and post 2007??

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Sydney and Brisbane club rugby have been the highest levels of rugby under super rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
School boys can sometimes play both league and union at the same time, I think rob Horne would be an example. But not once they're adults. Plus all football codes play at the same time pretty much. Except for A league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barbosa

Bob McCowan (2)
That Australia has excellent squads and is reference in both union and league is not news. What surprised me in my researches is the fact that the same is not true for NZ. Why does that happen?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the Rising have named their squad. Brisbane and QLD Country will name theirs on Friday.

When do the others get named?

T

Train Without a Station

Credit to the Rising on a great job with the media surrounding their initial squad, jersey unveiling and final squad selection. Very good job done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems like we need a bit of an NRC: Where are they? summary.

Super Rugby players I'd have expected to see in the NRC that don't seem to have long term injuries and haven't been named anywhere to my knowledge.

So far:

Ben Meehan
Jonno Lance
Liam Gill

Anyone got any others? (I'll edit my post and add them)

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
It says in the article that Liam Gill is aligned to Brisbane City but will be juggling that with his Sevens commitments. Jonno Lance had an ongoing knee problem and looks likely to sit the NRC out same reason Tom Kingston will be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.