• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me, Beale is the perfect bench player for the Wallabies, considering who is in front of him.

I just don't see KB (Kurtley Beale) accepting the bench role, moving forward.

It is fantastic that we now heve depth. A couple of years ago if a player like KB (Kurtley Beale) considered a move to league or playing overseas the rugby fraternity from the ARU to us mug punters would have gone spastic and the cheque book pulled out

Nowadays it seems like, Oh well, if you want to fuck off, then see you later.
( also has to do with the fact that the piggy bank is skinny)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Godwin missed half the season or more through injury. I don't think he was nearly as good this year as last. I think he will return for the NRC.
Godwin missed 6 games sure his attack was a bit down from last year but he was at the time the best defensive back in aus the comp. Like I said thing had him in the squad before injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite Link's persistence in naming Beale at 10 in his squad, I really don't think he is a 10 at test level. I definitely think the Tahs have it right to play him at 12, and he does make a good backup at 15. But if he is a 10 in Link's eyes, the intriguing question is what will happen at the 10 spot when Quade comes back, as I'm sure he will next year. Would that see KB (Kurtley Beale) dropped from the squad all together? Or Foley dropped if Quade makes the run on side? One of these scenarios could well see KB (Kurtley Beale) elect to go elsewhere.

In the meantime, I think there's no option other than to have him on the bench. I am perfectly happy for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Horne and McCabe to fight out the wing spots until Henry comes in, which I believe he will for the Argentina game no matter what transpires in the earlier tests. There would be no better opportunity to blood him at test level and get ready for the harder games to follow. Also worth noting that Henry has consistently got the better of opposing wingers from NZ and SA in Super rugby over two to three years, so there should be no qualms about his abilities at the next level.

T

Train Without a Station

To say Speight is a certainty to start no matter what transpires between now and when he is eligible is blatant provincial bias.

Right now Speight is our best winger. That could change before he is eligible. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne/McCabe or whoever does get picked put in Speight quality performances in finals and tests, Link isn't going to throw Speight straight in. Just because he was number 1 in July. It will be too bad, too sad. You weren't available, somebody else was and they took their opportunity with both hands, you'll have to wait a little for yours. Much like what happens when somebody gets injured.

Remember that David Pocock guy? Was a future test captain, best openside in the world, etc. Hooper got an opportunity, is now the wallaby captain and Pocock may very well not even make the 23 without injuries when he is back.

Nobody has a mortgage on a jersey. Especial uncapped players who have not had the opportunity to prove themselves at the next level YET.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting that so many people who complained about previous selections by Deans in particular not being closely enough matched to form are now making statements about players like Beale losing their spot when Cooper returns from injury.

Personally I think that the average 32 man Wallaby squad will include Foley, Beale and Cooper and someone else will drop out.

On current form it's difficult to see anyone breaking into the 10/12/23 jerseys because Foley, To'omua and Beale are in such terrific form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Godwin missed 6 games sure his attack was a bit down from last year but he was at the time the best defensive back in aus the comp. Like I said thing had him in the squad before injury.

His at was well down, hopefully he can return to being a threat next season

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes Foley will be in the 23 for a long time, his value off the bench last year was great. His running game and ability to spot a hole creates havoc against tired defence late.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes Foley will be in the 23 for a long time, his value off the bench last year was great. His running game and ability to spot a hole creates havoc against tired defence late.
Not saying this will happen but say Cooper wins his 10 jersey back is Foley a better bench option then Beale.. Or do you think you would have them both?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tough one, if it's 10. Cooper 12. To'omua one of them might miss out. Would go for Foley to stay at this rate but could easily change. Also depends who's playing in the backline to shift.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It also depends on who are the most reliable goal kickers, or it should. We need to have a decent goal kicker on the field for the whole match.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To say Speight is a certainty to start no matter what transpires between now and when he is eligible is blatant provincial bias.

Right now Speight is our best winger. That could change before he is eligible. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne/McCabe or whoever does get picked put in Speight quality performances in finals and tests, Link isn't going to throw Speight straight in. Just because he was number 1 in July. It will be too bad, too sad. You weren't available, somebody else was and they took their opportunity with both hands, you'll have to wait a little for yours. Much like what happens when somebody gets injured.

Remember that David Pocock guy? Was a future test captain, best openside in the world, etc. Hooper got an opportunity, is now the wallaby captain and Pocock may very well not even make the 23 without injuries when he is back.

Nobody has a mortgage on a jersey. Especial uncapped players who have not had the opportunity to prove themselves at the next level YET.

I'm not saying he has a mortgage at all. Just that the game against the Argies would be an ideal opportunity to put him in and give someone else a rest. There is no doubt that he is test quality so it wouldn't be an insult to the Argies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Amazing there weren't more injuries in that game. Speight's should be ok by September you would think.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Especially after consuming Matt Dunnings' former bodyweight in $7.20 VB at the stadium. Deadset, ICAC need to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.