• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

There will be others in the wider squad I don't have any knowledge of but relying on them as reserves and at some stage starting players is crazy.

If you have no knowledge of those players then how can you say calling them into the reserves and in the future starting them is crazy? How else do players get capped if not through the wider training squad and then reserves?

T

TOCC

But still. The $5M cap between all players works out about $127k each roughly. The minimum wage is $67.5k.

If hunt is on $700k that's $573k above the average. Now in order to pay Hunt $700k we'd need 9.5 players on the minimum wage.

That's before we even look at Genia, Cooper, Gill who with no top up would be on more and potential Tapuai. With reportedly no ARU top up surely the Fainga'as, Slipper, Simmons, Hanson and Horwill all would likely be on above the average here. If every one of this player is on even $180k at the Reds that basically would leave every other player in the squad on the minimum $67.5k.

If that's the case there is surely a lot more pain to come.

Tranq, don't get caught up in the media propaganda, that figure is far factual and you don't know how much of the that 'offer' is also conditional with third party contracts and endorsements.

T

tranquility

But still. The $5M cap between all players works out about $127k each roughly. The minimum wage is $67.5k.

If hunt is on $700k that's $573k above the average. Now in order to pay Hunt $700k we'd need 9.5 players on the minimum wage.

That's before we even look at Genia, Cooper, Gill who with no top up would be on more and potential Tapuai. With reportedly no ARU top up surely the Fainga'as, Slipper, Simmons, Hanson and Horwill all would likely be on above the average here. If every one of this player is on even $180k at the Reds that basically would leave every other player in the squad on the minimum $67.5k.

If that's the case there is surely a lot more pain to come.

Let's atleast give those who have the numbers in front of them the respect to balance the books shall we?

Anything less than that, is just completely disrespectful. At this point he isn't even signed, and the figure bandied about has a 100k error rate.

Let's just cool the jets.

As I said earlier, the contracting system in Australia currently involves a cloak, a dagger & a smoke filled room of mirrors.

T

tranquility

Tranq, don't get caught up in the media propaganda, that figure is far factual and you don't know how much of the that 'offer' is also conditional with third party contracts and endorsements.

Haha, Im not sure if that was a Freudian slip - but you addressed basically what I said, to me.

Great minds huh.

T

Train Without a Station

Let's atleast give those who have the numbers in front of them the respect to balance the books shall we?

Anything less than that, is just completely disrespectful. At this point he isn't even signed, and the figure bandied about has a 100k error rate.

As I said earlier, the contracting system in Australia currently involves a cloak, a dagger & a smoke filled room of mirrors.

I'm merely saying if that is the case, it only leaves room for about 12 players to be paid above the minimum and just highlighting how many players one very high paid player can affect the squad as a whole.

If it's off that allows a little room for 2 or 3.

My point I am getting that is if more of your squad are closer to the minimum than there are above the average amount, you are banking on a lot of untested players making the grade.

I'd hope it's closer to our best 23 being paid reasonably and the next 10 being on sub $100k salaries.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I sincerely hope for the Reds' sake KHunt's contract includes a clause about him passing a thorough medical examination some time early next year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The thought that we may by some miracle have gotten our hands on Vito excites me more than JOC (James O'Connor) or Special K. Been a massive fan of Vito since he was on the 7s circuit - he'd change the dynamic of our pack in a huge way.

T

Train Without a Station

He hasn't really consistently reached his potential though. And I don't see RG as the guy to get him there.

Now if link was around I'd be thrash wanking at the thought.

M

Moono75

Sounds interesting on the recruitment front if all pans out....coach still sucks though....sorry Reds fans :)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

And who since the Reign of JON of the bendable books has inspired this great unthinking and unquestionable respect for those with the figures.

Respect where it is earned. The only reason the Reds haven't copped the absolute level of both barrels I have aimed at the ARU and the NSWRU/Tahs over the years is because they have with McCall and Carmichael earned a great deal of it. That is not and never will be unquestioning deference, and the talk is getting louder because hitherto best management practice is being lost and the results going down.

That can be halted and addressed through proper critique, not unquestioning respect.

T

tranquility

Yes, mate. We know the drill. However they are only dodgy when you feel like it.

But until we have at-least a list of players who we have signed, and maybe some accurate figures, we can all carry on pissing into the headwind.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd think that the excellent crowd numbers for the Reds since 2011 would mean they can spend quite a lot on a marquee player. It would be awesome if Vito came to the Reds.

Maybe they can afford to lure someone like Adam Thomson back from Japan. He was always a dominant Super Rugby player but never quite mastered the step up to test rugby.

Vito would clearly be better suited for the Reds though.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He hasn't really consistently reached his potential though. And I don't see RG as the guy to get him there.

Now if link was around I'd be thrash wanking at the thought.

I'd still take a slightly watered-down Vito over any of our current loosies for pure impact on both sides of the ball. He's more than quick enough to run with the backs too, has the height to jump in the lineout, seems good behind a less-than-stellar Hurricanes scrum so he's got the experience we need there as well.

I'd be quite pleased if the signing turns out to be true.

He's also a FAR better option than Adam Thompson who I think is frankly just a little over the hill at 32. We need players we can build a 2-3 year championship run/retention campaign with if we want to get back to the heights of 2011.

Thompson is too old and is a Higginbotham-esque loosie, Vito is going to be 27-28 and is far closer to a Palu, which seems to be what we really need.

Surprised there's not more highlight footage of Vito on Youtube - I've rated him for a few years now:

Obviously those clips are from his 7s days but the freak athleticism and hunger for contact are more than apparent.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose on reflection the vast majority of boys at the Reds are home grown who come up thru the system (old or new). They want to play for the Reds and often would receive a greater payday at other franchises.

It is only when you get to the top of the tree (like QC (Quade Cooper), Genia, Horwill, maybe Simmons, Slipper, Gill) that you get a good payday.

The hardest thing for players, whether they be the top tier guys or not is when the franchise signs a bloke like K. Hunt (for the reported $700,000) and they (other players) feel that he is overpaid when compared to them then the tightness / culture can be detrimentally affected. Example would be a bloke who is on $150,000, who has played for the Reds for 3/4 years, spilt blood etc etc hen finds out a bloke, any bloke gets $700,000. A bloke that has not played the game for years etc etc.

Don't get me wrong about Hunt. Love tio have him and I expect that on the field the bloke will be good. How good, is yet to be determined.

An old boss of mine once responded to me when I asked for a pay rise: "Scrub, extra money is not a motivator" I repled: "Agree, but perceived lack of money can be a demotivator"

Status
Not open for further replies.