• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Oh, that's right. Can't believe I missed that. I didn't even bother looking TBH, thought it would almost be a given :p
Could be going to Qld (where he's from) with Genia and Frisby both out, it's definitely to our benefit.
At this point, I'd be thinking that Fereti Sa'aga, Angus Hamilton, Joe Kamana and Sefanaiu Naivalu would be some of the Front runners for those spots.
Those blokes would be my local picks. Maybe also Palia seeing as there's no other 9s I can see (even though he usually plays 10 in Dewar I thought?).

Maybe one of the two mystery spots they haven't filled yet will go to Dave Hardisty, who holds his own in the Shute Shield and is very much a Vic product. We certainly need a 3rd 9, that's for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
my o
my thought would be that the rebels felt he would be better off starting somewhere rather than sitting on the bench

My thoughts were that Ben may have been the sole retained halfback, given both Burgo and Nic would automatically command a starting position at wherever they ended up, whereas it wasn't so certain for Ben.

Either way, good start, the players who look to be playing NRC, and were in both the 2014 & 2015 Rebels Squads are:

Luke Burgess
Tom Kingston
Ben Meehan
Max Lahiff
Laurie Weeks

The Beef is playing for NSW Country, Weeks for the Stars. Any ideas for the Others? Kingston Probably returns to play for the Stars as well. Could See Burgess playing for either Country or the Stars, isn't he a Newcastle boy originally? Where does Ben Play? As far as I'm aware, he's a Queensland boy who moved to Melbourne, originally to play League before switching back to us. What team logistically does he play for?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Kingston is on the injury list.
Nobody lets me be blindly optimistic... :(

My reasoning was:

He'll maybe be fit for the last 2-3 games.
He's currently in Sydney anyway, both for rehabilitation and because he's continuing his studies, at Sydney Uni nonetheless.

Assuming the Stars don't completely fill their Soup quota from elsewhere, I could see them putting him in their squad.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Stade Melbournaise

ndK5DEb.jpg

They're really digging the graffiti-d laneway vibe, aren't they?

Must be how Melbourne is viewed interstate?

T

Train Without a Station

Kingston is dyed in the wool Sydney uni. Word is he would ignore the Rebels S & C program on the basis he had an SU one which he followed. I'd have my money on him doing anything he could to play for the stars.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Must be how Melbourne is viewed interstate?
Yeah, other than the laneway near Degraves St our graffiti is mostly just awful tagging.

Where does Ben Play? As far as I'm aware, he's a Queensland boy who moved to Melbourne, originally to play League before switching back to us. What team logistically does he play for?
That's about right. It appears the Reds are doing an even split and it's more about getting a good mix than actual origin location (for example, Quade is rumoured to be with country).

I doubt they'll be more than a handful of non-Reds soup players in the Qld teams, so it's possible Ben might end up on someone's couch in Sydney. There's worse ways for a 22yo to spend 2 months.

There's plenty of talk in Vic by people who know what they're talking about that Benny is better than Stirzaker. For me it's chalk and cheese, Ben gives the game a ridiculously fast tempo whereas Stirza has probably the best base pass of any of the developing 9s.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Fairly sure Finbar Simpson was playing 2nd grade for Tuggeranong Vikings earlier this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fairly sure Finbar Simpson was playing 2nd grade for Tuggeranong Vikings earlier this year.

Pretty sure he's in and out of 2nd grade for Melbourne Unicorns too.

That being said, 60% of the non-Brumbies players in the ACT squad will come from Tuggeranong (including probably at least 3 front rowers) so there's no shame in it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
awesome i love it, if a jersey like this is going to work then it'd be in the hipster capital of Australia

Bring colours aren't really in line with hipster culture in the least mate, neither is this jersey. I like it and think it'll do fine, but it's not 'hipster'.

T

TOCC

Bring colours aren't really in line with hipster culture in the least mate, neither is this jersey. I like it and think it'll do fine, but it's not 'hipster'.

Sorry 'mate' i will refrain from using any form of humour in the future..

My point was i liked the jersey.

D

daz

I really like the jersey. A lot.

Caught up with Cruze Ah Nau after the Footscray/Endeavor Hills game on the weekend for a good chin wag. Training starts Monday, and by all accounts it's not going to be a vacation for the boys.

There was some serious talent of display on the weekend. The team list for the game I was at had "RR" next to the players in the rising squad, so people (like me) not familiar with the club boys could have a good look at them during the game.

Very enjoyable day, and really looking forward to the NRC kicking off.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Kingston is dyed in the wool Sydney uni. Word is he would ignore the Rebels S & C program on the basis he had an SU one which he followed. I'd have my money on him doing anything he could to play for the stars.

Well that would explain why he could not cement a starting spot if he is not able to follow a S & C plan because he wants to live in the past.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Just got season tickets for me and the mrs.

Lookig forward the seeing the boys smash some North Harbour scum

.....Followed by some Perth scum

....Then the Canberra scum

...And finally the Queensland Country scum!!!

It was a bit annoying having to purchase two individual season tickets rather than 2 in one transaction, but small gripes!

Will be supporting the boys full tilt, beers in hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.