• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
TSC V Joeys 3rds referee.

Darren Cobcroft today (as per the SJRU appointments roster) sent 5 Joeys players to the bin. When he referred this as a trial game few weeks earlier he sent 4 Joeys boys to the bin and sent off one Joeys boy. In both games not one TSC player was sanctioned with a card.
It is not Darren ... I Have seen him ref games and he seemed fine ... Must be two sides to the story .. There are something's that are mandatory yellow cards ... So not sure what the cards were for ... If there was excessive dissent would have thought a referee is within rights to card ... But just guessing.

Remember he would not be paid a cracker, and he would just be assigned a fixture ... Maybe if he has had problems with same team, he should of asked for different match

Anyway my mail is 4-5 joeys players were injured in 1sts (from previous week) so part of the rare event of losses in both 2nds and 3rds is probably more to do with that.

And also shoes how joeys win in 1sts was good result

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
29 - 15, riverview win

So, if I'm not mistaken, today's thirds results were TAS 17, Shore nil; Riverview 29, High 15; Scots 22, Joeys nil; and Grammar 46, Newington nil.

The points score now is Scots and Grammar on 6, TAS and Riverview on 4, all other teams on 2 including byes. Kings and Newington have yet to win games.

Its far too early to write teams off. Each team has the capacity to surprise. Too my mind, Grammar remain early favourite. I saw the discussion on depth in the Grammar team. In the absence of catastrophic injury, I think the Grammar seconds have enough depth to step up.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It is not Darren . I Have seen him ref games and he seemed fine . Must be two sides to the story .. There are something's that are mandatory yellow cards . So not sure what the cards were for . If there was excessive dissent would have thought a referee is within rights to card . But just guessing.

Remember he would not be paid a cracker, and he would just be assigned a fixture . Maybe if he has had problems with same team, he should of asked for different match

Anyway my mail is 4-5 joeys players were injured in 1sts (from previous week) so part of the rare event of losses in both 2nds and 3rds is probably more to do with that.

I'm fairly sure his name was Dave and he was known to all the Scots boys so he must have been internally appointed.

2 yellows were warranted (lifting tackle and early hit off the kick off)

The others were baffling and the boys couldn't give a reason for it. It was more so the fact he blantly ignored 2 punches from Scots boys and the fact that the Joeys 7 had clear bite marks on his arm.

14 boys out from 1st-3rds at Joeys, plus the 2s had a player sent off within the first 5 minutes. Does make the 1st win even more impressive

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone know the result between scot vs new 2's? The battle of the cellar dwellars... Starting to think scots see the third grade comp as more prestigious than the seconds as they are first in the 3rds but last in the 2nds. Might be better to sacrifice one grade to win a lower one rather than be middle of the table in both. Joeys fifths easily accounted for scots fourths today so it can't be put down to great depth through the grades

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
It is not Darren . I Have seen him ref games and he seemed fine . Must be two sides to the story .. There are something's that are mandatory yellow cards . So not sure what the cards were for . If there was excessive dissent would have thought a referee is within rights to card . But just guessing.

Remember he would not be paid a cracker, and he would just be assigned a fixture . Maybe if he has had problems with same team, he should of asked for different match

No need for "just guessing" - if the reports are correct then look at the stats! His stipend is not even an issue! And perhaps he should HAVE asked for a different match - unless he has an agenda ( which he may not even realise! ). Don't forget James IV had to give up the throne because he couldn't reconcile his personal beliefs over the reality of the situation!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyone know the result between scot vs new 2's? The battle of the cellar dwellars. Starting to think scots see the third grade comp as more prestigious than the seconds as they are first in the 3rds but last in the 2nds. Might be better to sacrifice one grade to win a lower one rather than be middle of the table in both. Joeys fifths easily accounted for scots fourths today so it can't be put down to great depth through the grades

That was called "stacking" when I was a kid.
Winning 3's rather than finishing mid field in 2s is probably marketable as an indication of great depth.

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
Regarding the Joeys 3rds, they have received 10 cards so far this season, 9 of them in the 2 games against Scots with the same ref. He also decided to ban the Joeys team from forming the tunnel for Scots after full time. I don't like to focus on the ref but clearly this bloke has some history with Joeys, hopefully something is done about it.

In regards to comments made about the referee of the scots vs joeys game, and as a father of a newington seconds player. I watched the whole game and do not see any injustice in relation to those yellow cards, Joeys were mentally beaten early on and all it required was a little bit of taunting for joeys to break.They started fights,Were dirty in the ruck and were tackling players without the ball; clearly they were frustrated about the set piece and possession (which scots were dominant). The tipping point came when scots did score to put the game out of reach and a Joeys player decided to shoulder charge a player off the kick off when the ball was not going anywhere near the player taken out. The player was yellow carded. Unfortunately the Joeys boys lost their cool and took it out on the ref. Watching on from the sideline it was extremely clear that these boys were showing no respect towards the referee and were sent in the bin for it. At the end of the game the Joeys boys gathered and words were obviously yelled at the ref (clearly visible by the crowd) which made him ask the boys to leave the field.

Benched

Frank Row (1)
Saw the Joeys vs Kings game today. Impressed with how Joeys clicked, C. O'Shea displaying his credentials as aust. schoolboy. Still not convinced with N Duffy, but perhaps his combination with O'Shea will be a decisive factor in the short preparation (although will he start)?
I was more interested in Kings after their upset against Newington. Perhaps this weeks results suggest that was a case of Newington plummeting in form than a Kings resurgence. In saying that, I thought there were good signs from a tough forward pack. Not a great deal happening in the backline, rocks and diamonds with 15 I feel.

More broadly I'm curious about Scots. Had the opportunity to discuss this with a friend and having been unable to see them - if it is that they are so electric / are a team 'stacked' with talent - why were they not better represented at higher levels? i.e. - as per NSW Schools site - 4 state reps vs Joeys 5, Newington 6, Riverview 6. I can't believe 4 state reps would put 100 on 6!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyone know the result between scot vs new 2's? The battle of the cellar dwellars. Starting to think scots see the third grade comp as more prestigious than the seconds as they are first in the 3rds but last in the 2nds. Might be better to sacrifice one grade to win a lower one rather than be middle of the table in both. Joeys fifths easily accounted for scots fourths today so it can't be put down to great depth through the grades

Nothing that Scots do surprises the cynic in me! o_O

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
More broadly I'm curious about Scots. Had the opportunity to discuss this with a friend and having been unable to see them - if it is that they are so electric / are a team 'stacked' with talent - why were they not better represented at higher levels? i.e. - as per NSW Schools site - 4 state reps vs Joeys 5, Newington 6, Riverview 6. I can't believe 4 state reps would put 100 on 6!

because they are with a couple of exceptions built like a league team: they are 11 back rowers

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Benched - very good point on the rep numbers.
I have 2 not entirely satisfactory explanations.
The higher you go the less you can just rely on strength and size because everyone is big or bigger and strong or stronger.
You also have to allow for the fact that some of the New boys were incumbents, I think.

Westharbour3

Frank Row (1)
Scots were clearly the better team.Scots stunned joeys when they dominated in set piece,The game was lost mentally within the first 5 minutes, second rower; #5 Bernays had an impressive game in this complete domination of joeys. From the kick off, upcoming player bernays was on the ball making meters whilst making ferocious tackles all the while frustrating joeys by taunting opposition in the set piece, a wonderful player, i look forward to seeing him in action for the 1XV next year. A player from joeys, Warfield was also impressive, on the ball and defensively sound for the boys in pink although did lose his cool and disappointingly started throwing punches which got him sent off.Another mention goes to the Captain of the defeated joeys 3rd XV the #2 (dont quite remember his name) for keeping his cool at clutch moments throughout the match whilst his teammates could not. Expected more from the usually dominate Joeys 3rd XV side, Scots 22- Joeys 0

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Game plan for view to beat scots?

Scots have very few chinks in their armour

As they showed against cranbrook front row, they have a strong front row, even without all big guns, on deck

They have an embarrassing luxury of back rowers (diminutive smith, is a tear away) and they have tall timber for their line-out. So set piece is very solid

Crichton in the centers is something that has been working very well for them, and Dan England is exceptional, if he is your 2nd fiddle fly half

You have a very talented guy porter at fullback ... Even if it sounds like there is some jealousy at his self-assuredness

Princeville on one wing is proving a try scoring machine, despite refereeing 2 games earlier on game day

For whatever reason the trial game didn't go ahead, with scots electing to play manly 1st grade instead ... Jokes. But the point is view won't be overly familiar ...

I thought the massive winger hendrie was a key weapon, although starting to think it is more a case of whoever is running off POD Crichton

So how do you even come close to this team?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Riverview is obviously not without their strengths ... Probably argue they have a better front row, and loosies are excellent ... Might have scots wondering if Crichton should be back in forwards

Mcgregor at fly half is in my view the best 10 around ... And freeman is call calm and collected, in what his 3rd year!

Then you have Hutchinson at 13... With blinding speed

Ok not telling people anything they don't already know

So my game plan for what it's worth ... Hard to outmuscle, hard to out enthuse, hard to outrun ... Not easy.

Well Crichton is far and away their best player so he has to be shut down as best possible ... And that shouldn't be solely a Hutchinson job ... View back row might try and do what cranbrook makas tried ... Stand in centres

Then I'd be remembering scots will always run it from their 22, so if they can capitalise on this refusal to territorially kick, they could retain some good field position

Then I'd be targeting the breakdown, by leaving Crichton in the backs, they might be able to punch holes through the likes of smith

Then final thing is the strang/England combo ... They are new and I'd be all over it, maybe the ball good be disrupted before it even gets to Crichton

Anyway hope it is a closer game than what the form guide is suggesting ... And certainly view won't want to come into game with any injuries ...Hutchinson ok?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Following on from the Captain at #2078....

It is extremely disappointing when people who can hide behind their monikers on GAGR post items about a referee and go so far as to name & question his performance. It is just as bad as naming a player IMHO ( and on these threads the players are KIDS !)

I am acquainted with this referee, and he is a highly regarded senior subbies & grade referee, with more experience than most and IMHO he is one of the much better whistleblowers going around- and to suggest that he has some hidden agenda is absolutely absurd.

If what the Captain has posted is accurate ( and & do say IF)...then the referee seems to have been justified in his actions.

If the comments that are attributed to SOME (and I am positive it would have been in the minority, not all) of the Joeys players is true.....( and again, I say IF) - then if they had been playing in the SJRU comp they would have received 3 weeks or more - as there is an absolute ban on referee abuse - during AND after a match.

I am asolutely sick and tired of hearing the whinging about referees on here ( and other threads too - it is not just a GPS affliction) - if you think you can do a better job, go & do the referee course, get accredited - and get out on the other side of the sideline rope and see what it is like to be out in the middle coping abuse from every know it all parent and smart arse kid who think they know better and who quite frankly - haven't GOT a clue about the Laws of the Game. If they did, I might pay attention occassionally !

All referees go out to try the damndest to give the players a match that they will enjoy - keeping it safe for both sides - and hoping like hell that they get MOST things right on the day. Sometimes they don't - and everyone is entitled to an "average ay at the office".
99% do it for the love of the game, and to try & give something back.

Time to man-up whingers !

If you don't like what youy see - get off your backsides and do something about it.

Sunday morning rant over.....back to work.
The Hound

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
And there lies the real tragedy. Decent kids who love rugby and play in TSC lower opens have their reputation tarnished because of the actions of the school leadership.
The kids in the lower grades couldn't careless what you or any of the other anti Scots commentators think or say about their reputation. The average kid doesn't have a reputation (in rugby)in the first place too tarnish.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The kids in the lower grades couldn't careless what you or any of the other anti Scots commentators think or say about their reputation. The average kid doesn't have a reputation (in rugby)in the first place too tarnish.

He may not mean their rugby reputation - he doesn't say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.