• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks - thought the doggies would get up over Souths.alas!

House v Uni to decide 5th spot this weekend (can't see Souths beating Quins), pride on the line!

Depending on what Melbourne and Box Hill I think the top 4 have sorted their order out. Quins to host Box Hill and then Melbourne to host Moorabbin in the 1st week of the finals. Then back to Quins for the prelims and then Box Hill on the 16th.

Quins looked really strong apparently. Moorabbin's wheels seem to have fallen off. Melbourne have won 8 in a row I think, Box Hill will give anything a crack. I'm really looking forward to watching the finals this year.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Depending on what Melbourne and Box Hill I think the top 4 have sorted their order out. Quins to host Box Hill and then Melbourne to host Moorabbin in the 1st week of the finals. Then back to Quins for the prelims and then Box Hill on the 16th.

Quins looked really strong apparently. Moorabbin's wheels seem to have fallen off. Melbourne have won 8 in a row I think, Box Hill will give anything a crack. I'm really looking forward to watching the finals this year.

For some reason I think it might be a 2013 replay in the decider, Quins v Melbourne...but with Melbourne taking the cake this year.

Moorabin are not what they were in early 2014 and I think Box Hill might falter in a tight finals series (I really hope they prove me wrong though!!!).

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rising squad just announced - Rebels trying to spin the selections that every club involved using the clubs of the Rebels players alignment which is a stretch. Real breakdown below:

Quins - 5
Johansson, OJ Noa, Simona, Taufa, Gus Hamilton

Dogs - 3
Imo, Martin, Big Frank

End Hills - 3
Rennie, Junior Palia, Rueben Rolleston

Box Hill - 2
Bauer, Sef Naivalu

Moorabbin - 1
Tui, Joe Kamana

Melbourne - 1
Fin Simpson

Uni - 1
Fereti

What does everyone think? A couple of guys seem very lucky to get a spot - but that is always the case in any selection process I guess.

T

Train Without a Station

Dogs and Hills probably lucky to have 3 players each considering their position on the ladder. Other than last year Dogs haven't been contenders either.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Dogs and Hills probably lucky to have 3 players each considering their position on the ladder. Other than last year Dogs haven't been contenders either.

Selections are never about the team's performance, more about the individuals, where they come from matters little if they are good enough!

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Rising squad just announced - Rebels trying to spin the selections that every club involved using the clubs of the Rebels players alignment which is a stretch. Real breakdown below:

Quins - 5
Johansson, OJ Noa, Simona, Taufa, Gus Hamilton

Dogs - 3
Imo, Martin, Big Frank

End Hills - 3
Rennie, Junior Palia, Rueben Rolleston

Box Hill - 2
Bauer, Sef Naivalu

Moorabbin - 1
Tui, Joe Kamana

Melbourne - 1
Fin Simpson

Uni - 1
Fereti

What does everyone think? A couple of guys seem very lucky to get a spot - but that is always the case in any selection process I guess.

Agree, IF it were me I'd have a few younger players there for the development aspect.

T

Train Without a Station

Pablo, that ignores the fact that teams which are good will very likely have better performers than teams who perform poorly.

Notice how the Wallaby squads generally have more players from good teams and less from poor ones?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Pablo, that ignores the fact that teams which are good will very likely have better performers than teams who perform poorly.

Notice how the Wallaby squads generally have more players from good teams and less from poor ones?

I don't ignore it, am well aware of it, just don't prescribe to it necessarily. There is also the thought that good players will rise regardless of where they are from!

Maybe this is the Wallabies problem and why we haven't won the BC in 10+ years, we keep picking the same players from the "good clubs".

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree, IF it were me I'd have a few younger players there for the development aspect.
Could not disagree more. We as a state still need to earn the respect of the northern states who don't think that Victoria/Rebels deserve their place in the national rugby landscape. The best team needs to be picked no matter what the age, the best results need to be gained and we need to show we are up to the standard. For too long young players have got the easy path due to the lack of competition in this state which has created a sense of entitlement. A couple of young blokes in the current squad can already count themselves very lucky as they haven't proved themselves in Premeirship Grade this year.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Could not disagree more. We as a state still need to earn the respect of the northern states who don't think that Victoria/Rebels deserve their place in the national rugby landscape. The best team needs to be picked no matter what the age, the best results need to be gained and we need to show we are up to the standard. For too long young players have got the easy path due to the lack of competition in this state which has created a sense of entitlement. A couple of young blokes in the current squad can already count themselves very lucky as they haven't proved themselves in Premeirship Grade this year.

Part of me agrees, part of me doesn't....I see the NRC as a future builder not a pinch hitter.

From the ARU website:

"The National Rugby Championship is an important strategic development for the growth of Rugby in Australia.”

“For players it represents the missing link in their development pathway towards Super Rugby and ultimately Wallaby selection."

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Part of me agrees, part of me doesn't..I see the NRC as a future builder not a pinch hitter.

From the ARU website:

"The National Rugby Championship is an important strategic development for the growth of Rugby in Australia.”

“For players it represents the missing link in their development pathway towards Super Rugby and ultimately Wallaby selection."

The concern is that the ARU have only committed to keep the Rebels propped up with cash for 1 more year - so if we cant show we deserve a place immediately (or find Private Equity and winning is important to this) there won't be any Rebels/Rising to develop players down the track. We are fighting for the survival of top level rugby in Victoria.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't ignore it, am well aware of it, just don't prescribe to it necessarily. There is also the thought that good players will rise regardless of where they are from!

Maybe this is the Wallabies problem and why we haven't won the BC in 10+ years, we keep picking the same players from the "good clubs".

I doubt it. Teams with good players generally perform well. If the 3 rising players, in addition to some of the healthiest rebels representation in the Dewar Shield both Footscray and Endeavour Hills have been propping up the bottom of the ladder all year.

With up to 6 players who are supposedly at a higher level playing surely these teams would be able to manage more than a pair of wins in the whole season.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So the bottom clubs reps are Frank Amituanai, Shane Imo, Rennie Lautolo-Molimau, Martin Naufahu, Junior Paila and Reuben Rolleston.

I'll admit I don't know a hell of a lot about these boys, but we've got both reserve Stand Offs and the second Scrummie, then a couple of boys who've played at a higher standard (age grade/Shute Shield/Aukland Clubs).

Are there obvious replacements for all/some of these players at the more successful clubs?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
The concern is that the ARU have only committed to keep the Rebels propped up with cash for 1 more year - so if we cant show we deserve a place immediately (or find Private Equity and winning is important to this) there won't be any Rebels/Rising to develop players down the track. We are fighting for the survival of top level rugby in Victoria.

Understand this all too well. It is just that when I look at the make up of the squad I can't see too many local players getting significant game time. Makes me think, do you feed the pipeline or not?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Weekends games look like crackers - Quins v Box Hill and Melbourne v Moorabbin. Results this year have been..

Moorabbin 19 - Melbourne 11
Melbourne 30 - Moorabbin 21
Quins 14 - Box Hill 29
Box Hill 26 - Quins 26

Predicting Quins and Melbourne wins.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Games for this weekend https://assets.imgstg.com/assets/co...2014_Senior_Semi_Finals_Schedule_2_August.pdf

Ashwood Reserve
Grade KO Home Away
Premier 1 15:00 Harlequin Box Hill
Premier 2 13:20 Harlequin Endeavour Hills
Premier 3 11:20 Harlequin Melbourne
Premier 4 15:00 Harlequin Power House
Womens 12:00 Western Districts Northern
Romanis Reserve
Grade KO Home Away
Premier 1 15:00 Melbourne Moorabbin
Premier 2 13:20 Power House Melbourne
Premier 3 11:50 Power House Melbourne Uni
Premier 4 15:00 Melbourne Southern Districts
Womens 12:00 Melbourne Power House

2nd Division
Grade KO Home Away
Bridge Street - Eltham
A Grade 15:20 Eltham Wyndham City
John Gardiner Reserve
A Grade 15:00 Boroondara Northern
Griff Hunt Reserve
B Grade 13:15 Maroondah Eltham
Epsom, Huntley Rec Reserve
B Grade 15:00 Bendigo Monash Uni

3rd Divison
Grade KO Home Away
McPherson Rec Reserve
3rd Divison 15:00 Melton Melbourne
HMAS Cerberus
3rd Division 14:00 Cerberus Melbourne Chargers

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Games for this weekend https://assets.imgstg.com/assets/co...2014_Senior_Semi_Finals_Schedule_2_August.pdf

Ashwood Reserve
Grade KO Home Away
Premier 1 15:00 Harlequin Box Hill
Premier 2 13:20 Harlequin Endeavour Hills
Premier 3 11:20 Harlequin Melbourne
Premier 4 15:00 Harlequin Power House
Womens 12:00 Western Districts Northern
Romanis Reserve
Grade KO Home Away
Premier 1 15:00 Melbourne Moorabbin
Premier 2 13:20 Power House Melbourne
Premier 3 11:50 Power House Melbourne Uni
Premier 4 15:00 Melbourne Southern Districts
Womens 12:00 Melbourne Power House

2nd Division
Grade KO Home Away
Bridge Street - Eltham
A Grade 15:20 Eltham Wyndham City
John Gardiner Reserve
A Grade 15:00 Boroondara Northern
Griff Hunt Reserve
B Grade 13:15 Maroondah Eltham
Epsom, Huntley Rec Reserve
B Grade 15:00 Bendigo Monash Uni

3rd Divison
Grade KO Home Away
McPherson Rec Reserve
3rd Divison 15:00 Melton Melbourne
HMAS Cerberus
3rd Division 14:00 Cerberus Melbourne Chargers

Results from Sat, winners bolded. Couldn't find any Div 3 or the Wests V Norths women's results.

A lot of great rugby played.

Status
Not open for further replies.