• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands up anyone who thinks what has gone on and its latest twist is (or has been) good for rugby?

never said it was nor did I try to imply that it isnt having a negative effect on the current situation within schoolboy rugby. I am very aware that it is. Was simply trying to express why I earlier wrote with some passion. Apologies if I came across too strongly. I honestly didnt come here to start any confrontations.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I honestly didnt come here to start any confrontations.

Wrong thread :)
I think the difference between Scots and the other schools (bar joeys) is that they have a rugby program that aims at delivering gradual player skill development spread over 5 years from high level coaching techniques, methods and advice
I think some of us don't buy this explanation, which is why you may haver copped a couple around the chops in back play.
Most of us who don't buy it are willing to listen but we need to hear new things.
As for HJ's flesh wound - the irony still brings a smile to my face.
Who better to cop the record hiding than last year's (and next year's) villain - haven't you got some Punch & Judy footage HJ? (that reference will flush out the school kids on here)

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
If the above was true, that Scots does have a well rounded coaching programme, then after 5 years the results would be more evident across all age groups. I don't think that is the case.

The Scots 1sts is a very talented team and many will go onto higher levels if they chose to. But, it should be acknowledged that at least 8+ of the team are on sporting scholarships/bursaries etc. This was further acknowledged by the Headmaster. I reckon even I could coach 8 talented and cherry picked rugby players and mesh them with other "organically " grown talent who would also have made the 1sts on their innate talent.

The real test will be in the next two years as the scholarships dry up (I hope so) and Scots are back to a level playing field. Look at Newington - from heroes to zeroes in 1yr as their heavily weighted scholarship team (the team of 2013) hasn't been able to hold up with only three or four players left because it looks like they forgot to build a programme around others.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Today's Telegraph advertising banner has Scots pushing the Ukraine crisis to lower case afterthought.
I thought you guys were using "world domination' in jest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Today's Telegraph advertising banner has Scots pushing the Ukraine crisis to lower case afterthought.
I thought you guys were using "world domination' in jest.

You can't underestimate the Tele's desire to do the game harm, including by suggesting disharmony among its privileged followers.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The real test will be in the next two years as the scholarships dry up
Or longer - we will never know how early the scholarship holders arrived. Years 9 and 10 to be sure, but barring a forensic analysis of the boys' records, we have anecdotal evidence that primary school boys were approached. So the residual effect may take some time to come through the system, given that the Principal said that approaching players from other schools would stop from this year.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyway, 15 seconds of glory for a few posters on this site, albeit IS has already achieved a degree of media notoriety.
PS to those who were not quoted or did not comment - "Fire up boys, fire up!"

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyway, 15 seconds of glory for a few posters on this site, albeit IS has already achieved a degree of media notoriety.
PS to those who were not quoted or did not comment - "Fire up boys, fire up!"

I am left to ponder what all that was about last year when Growden outed me.
Everything that has happened since suggests he was wrong: I guess no surprises there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All this talk of superior "programs" amuses me greatly.
Where are the posters from the past two years that were lauding the New program?
Funny how the wheels fell off,when 2/3 of the imported cattle left.
Anyone who runs a program that recruits kids 5 or 6 years in advance,is admitting he can't really make that much of a difference.

I think this season has blown the 'superior rugby programme', 'top level coaching' and 'best facilities' arguments out of the water. It was the line peddled by some (only a few) NC supporters. In the space of less than a year we see a team which has presumably been through the same prgramme, with the same coaches and using the same facilities struggling. The only variable is that 2013 was a team built largely on sporting scholarships/bursaries, while the 2014 version is largely organic.

The superior programme/best coaching/best facilities line can explain winning, but there's no way it can explain victories of the magnitude we saw on the weekend. One assumes that the TSC 2nd XV have been the beneficiaries of the same programme, coaching and facilities, but they have won one match (against the team coming last).

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Westlake

All the knowledge I have has simply come from mainly reading various forums on this website and just doing a little bit of homework every now and then out of curiosity over the last 2 years. This includes simply reading up on the rugby page of scots, such as reading the coach bios and what they had to say etc, and also seeing some of the rugby being played by the schools as well as any video of the games occasionally if I have time. By the way, have you not seen that video of the battle of the hill made by TSC? I found it here and it can give you an idea of what I was trying to say

Now, im not here looking for a fight, just giving my thoughts on the program from what I have concluded from my reading and viewings to IS who was asking about why the last 5 years would matter. Im fully in favour of schools only fielding organic teams and not superstar teams stacked with recent arrivals solely for the purpose of a premiership. It ruins it for everyone and you will see what I mean when this much fancied organic riverview year group that were unbeaten through to 16's ( i think) lose out to a Scots team that would have been very different to the ones they played in their earlier years. I wasnt happy how Newington bullied more natural teams such as Shore last year with a squad of nearly 14 rugby bursary assisted players.

At the end of the day, I would like to see a comp whereby winners are determined by the natural abilities of various age groups and those who have worked the hardest to improve their standard and be competitive, not for the natural order to be thrown off course due to the greed and selfishness of other schools looking for something to add to their marketing.

By the way, my passion just comes from my shared love of rugby.
Ummm. You have confused me Jim/Chop. Could you please reread yours and your alter ego's previous posts and come back to me on what you are trying to say.

I await the both of you's analysis
Cheers
MR Westlake :)

T

The Big Marn

to provide some clarity here is the is the attendance history of the Scots team that faced Newington.
1. Yr 7
2. Yr 7
3. Yr 10
4. Yr 10
5. Yr 10
6. Yr 7
7. Yr 10
8. Yr 7
9. Yr 7
10. Yr 10
11. Yr 7
12. Yr 7
13. Yr 10
14. Prep
15. Prep
I count six late attendees, one of whom I know to be the son of an old boy. As is the case with most GPS schools, Year 10 is a significant intake year. This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.
Of these scots boys only two featured in GPS 1s or 2s.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
to provide some clarity here is the is the attendance history of the Scots team that faced Newington.
1. Yr 7
2. Yr 7
3. Yr 10
4. Yr 10
5. Yr 10
6. Yr 7
7. Yr 10
8. Yr 7
9. Yr 7
10. Yr 10
11. Yr 7
12. Yr 7
13. Yr 10
14. Prep
15. Prep
I count five late attendees, one of whom I know to be the son of an old boy. As is the case with most GPS schools, Year 10 is a significant intake year. This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.
Of these scots boys only two featured in GPS 1s or 2s.
I count six, but I did have to count my thumb twice (other hand holding my coffee, before anyone gets smart!).

Status
Not open for further replies.