• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
the Highlanders who will not get within 15 points of the Hobbits.

Was a great day for the club yesterday.
4s got their first win....3s pushed Southern Districts Semifinalists...2nds Pants them....1s missed a few goals that would have seen them win. It was a great job to score 5 tries to 4.

Also very good to see a good crowd highlighted by the Juniors and their presentations.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the Highlanders who will not get within 15 points of the Hobbits.

You can thank me for issuing the tipsters kiss of death to the Hobbits later @Gibbo.

Up and down year for your mob. Glimpses of form is some games followed by some very ordinary displays. Must frustrate the buggery out of the Coaching staff.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One of the worst days I can remember at Manly Oval today. The Pirates were embarrassing,totally outclassed and their lack of commitment in defence just woeful. Some individuals excepted of course but overall not good enough.

Manly Oval - what can I say? I've already said it. I was dreading coming here and it lived up to every one of my low expectations. The ridiculously positioned stand. The complete inability to find a single vantage point to see the game. The players appear tiny,such is their distance from the sidelines. Don't get me started on the crowds. I suppose when the score is 79-15 it's possible to lose interest in the action on the ground. But I never saw anyone take more than a passing interest in the game. It is a big social catch up where the crowd drinks beer and chit chats. I've got nothing against drinking beer,I'm sure my posts of a Saturday evening can confirm that,but I like to concentrate on the match. The joint is full of kids and dogs. I don't mind kids. I used to have some. And I don't mind dogs at the footy either. Quiet dogs that sit around looking indifferent and minding their own business. Not barking dogs. They annoy me. The constant din of chattering women and dogs barking and men gibbering and kids wrestling and Pirates letting in 15 tries was all too much for me!!!

I think I'll drop into Concord tomorrow just to enjoy some peace and quiet!!!

You need to start watching from the tennis court side of the ground. You couldn't get any closer to the action (no chattering women but there are kids:))

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
You need to start watching from the tennis court side of the ground. You couldn't get any closer to the action (no chattering women but there are kids:))
Yeah the parking is crap and the orientation of the flying saucer to the pitch is better suited to cricket but the Manly rugby community were enjoying Juniors ( the future of the club) day and having watched the MMM's put on almost 40 in the first half against your inept lot why not have a beer and a chat . We were busy picking the run on side for next week - you should have joined in PM ! - thanks for coming though :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Awww c'mon qwerty51, you're a good (if harsh) judge, give them their moment. It's been a hard year for Gordon but they've ridden their way through it (including an a terrible injury toll early on IIRC) and improved through the season. Well done to the Gordon club.

Given the form the Students and Souths are in the last two weeks are exceptional results, they got beaten by 50 by Eastwood early on so it's a massive turnaround for them. Hope they continue it into next years. Norths unfortunately have regressed heavily. Woeful year.

T

turnovertwopasses

Manly score + Buildcorp Sydney Uni score = look out everyone else. Geezuz

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
You can thank me for issuing the tipsters kiss of death to the Hobbits later @Gibbo.

Up and down year for your mob. Glimpses of form is some games followed by some very ordinary displays. Must frustrate the buggery out of the Coaching staff.

I don't agree with that sorry, the data doesn't agree - I'd say with one eye firmly shut, that its been a solid improvement all year. Think back to the Eastwood match earlier in the year and where we were when we played Uni at the back end of in 2013. I think Uni as a Club put nearly 300 on us through 4 grades. This year was a lot different.
We pushed most teams in the second half of the draw and only really had 3 genuinely poor performances (Eastwood, Parra and Norths) in 1st Grade.
Also Geoff Townsend has uncovered a few gems in the Lower grades and Colts. Jack Margin, Brandon Quinn, Xavier McCoy all stepped up to 1st grade and played bloody well. Nick Fraser also played every game in the front row (IIRC).
While it was from a low base, I'd say they were the 1st grade side to improve the most over the season, while others in the lower half of the table stagnated. They weren't the easy beats of last year.
2nds will do well through the Semi's and are a tough bunch of close mates.
We've still got lots to do in 3rd and 4th grade.
Also our Colts, albeit young, continued to put in and are tight unit that will be bloody strong next year.

marlin

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree that if a market was framed today the Woodies would be favourites, IMHO.
Strong everywhere, direct style, no weaknesses and well coached. Great club culture helps a lot - the Woodies board etc should be proud of what they have achieved this a to date as a club.
Likewise Manly have done really great things and off the field in 2014. Only 23 points from winning the CC, some outstanding young (and generally local) talent coming though, and consistently the biggest and most family friendly atmosphere to watch games from. Well done to the board at Manly!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shute Shield (First Grade only) Discipline Summary to Round 18 :

Club Discipline Record
Send Off (Red Card)
Manly: 1
West Harbour: 1, (Second YC in the same game)
Penrith: 1

Sin Bin (Yellow Card)
Penrith: 14
Manly: 12
Randwick: 12
Eastern Suburbs: 11
Parramatta: 11
Eastwood: 10
Gordon: 9
Warringah: 8
Southern Districts: 7
Sydney University: 5
West Harbour: 5
Northern Suburbs: 4
Total: 108

Individual Discipline Record:
108 Yellow Cards have been issued to 89 players (out of 554 players) [19%]
70 players have received 1 Yellow Card.
19 players have received 2 Yellow Cards.
0 players have received more than 2 Yellow Cards.

3 Red Cards have been issued to 3 Players.
0 Players have received 2 Red Cards.
3 Players have received 1 Red Card.
1 Player has received their Red Card because of their second Yellow Card in the game.

Discipline by Round:
12 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 1
3 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 2
5 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 3
9 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 4
7 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 5
5 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 6
7 Yellow Cards and 1 Red Cards were issued in Round 7
3 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 8
8 Yellow Cards and 1 Red Cards were issued in Round 9
4 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 10
2 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards were issued in Round 11