• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
All this talk about scots and there supposed boundary crossing, has anyone given any thought to the reasons why every GPS school doesn't join in on the fun. They are all as wealthy as the next one so its unlikely to be a financial issue. Is it a moral decision that shore, view etc don't delve into the importing world?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All this talk about scots and there supposed boundary crossing, has anyone given any thought to the reasons why every GPS school doesn't join in on the fun. They are all as wealthy as the next one so its unlikely to be a financial issue. Is it a moral decision that shore, view etc don't delve into the importing world?

Its an educational issue.
Maybe 3 kids per year will make a living from rugby.
The amount of time necessary to achieve this level of performance makes it difficult to achieve acceptable academic outcomes.
Compare the non-selective Shore HSC results with the non selective TSC results: same demographic.

T

The Big Marn

if they got a female exchange student they could win the female event too

I have a question. What would your thoughts be if a boy on an academic scholarship took someone's spot in the 1st Debating, who was not on any form of scholarship or bursary?

T

The Big Marn

The amount of time necessary to achieve this level of performance makes it difficult to achieve acceptable academic outcomes.
Compare the non-selective Shore HSC results with the non selective TSC results: same demographic.

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on how Scots conducts the HSC.

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)

Fair point IS, I think the GPS is on track for everyone to import or none at all. As some schools are heavily against it, I don't see importing getting alot of traction. What is the likelihood of the separation of the GPS comp?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have a question. What would your thoughts be if a boy on an academic scholarship took someone's spot in the 1st Debating, who was not on any form of scholarship or bursary?

So that long absence from the thread was to work out who I was - I had hoped you had leant out the window and asked someone what was happening with the 3rds this week.
I don't know whether to answer you now or demand an answer to my question in exchange.
Oh what the hell - its a no brainer.
I assume you mean at a particular school? One in the city?
Couldn't care less - they will have been at the school since year 7 (at least) and they are not handpicked either for the academic ability or their debating ability. It may interest you to know that many of them in each year are not even in the top 2 classes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Has the School previously agreed with their competitors not to stack their debating team with ring in's?
That's the point slow marn.
The School says and agrees to one thing,then does completely the opposite.
Effectively they are fielding 7 odd ineligible players each week.
What would you say if New had smashed Scots by 100 points last week after fielding 7 odd under 19 players?
What's the difference? Overage or imports,it's cheating either way.

T

The Big Marn

So that long absence from the thread was to work out who I was - I had hoped you had leant out the window and asked someone what was happening with the 3rds this week.
I don't know whether to answer you now or demand an answer to my question in exchange.
Oh what the hell - its a no brainer.
I assume you mean at a particular school? One in the city?
Couldn't care less - they will have been at the school since year 7 (at least) and they are not handpicked either for the academic ability or their debating ability. It may interest you to know that many of them in each year are not even in the top 2 classes.

No, I just didn't know what you wanted me to answer. If you're asking why there seems to be a stronger 3rd XV than 2nd XV, I would assume that it is the personal decision of each student not to play 1sts of 2nds rugby and focus on other things. Certainly not coaches 'stacking' the thirds competition.

Once again, I whole heartedly disagree with some of the choices of the current administration, but if you're going to say that those on academic scholarships are allowed to debate, then those on academic scholarships should be allowed to play rugby.

T

The Big Marn

Has the School previously agreed with their competitors not to stack their debating team with ring in's?
That's the point slow marn.
The School says and agrees to one thing,then does completely the opposite.
Effectively they are fielding 7 odd ineligible players each week.
What would you say if New had smashed Scots by 100 points last week after fielding 7 odd under 19 players?
What's the difference? Overage or imports,it's cheating either way.

Either a standard applies to all GPS events, or it doesn't. Let me ask you another question, should schools have academic scholarships at all? If your answer is 'yes', then is there anything wrong with a school stacking academically gifted students in their school to do well in the HSC?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Either a standard applies to all GPS events, or it doesn't. Let me ask you another question, should schools have academic scholarships at all? If your answer is 'yes', then is there anything wrong with a school stacking academically gifted students in their school to do well in the HSC?

Yep.
It won't work - as i said some pages back: it might give you headline results but it won't improve the overall results..........oh, hold on.............that's not the object.................sorry forgot I was talking to a true believer.
School = academic institution, therefore academic scholarships OK.
School does not = professional sporting outfit or US college therefore sports scholarships don't really fit and subvert the educational value of sport.

No, I just didn't know what you wanted me to answer. If you're asking why there seems to be a stronger 3rd XV than 2nd XV, I would assume that it is the personal decision of each student not to play 1sts of 2nds rugby and focus on other things. Certainly not coaches 'stacking' the thirds competition.

Once again, I whole heartedly disagree with some of the choices of the current administration, but if you're going to say that those on academic scholarships are allowed to debate, then those on academic scholarships should be allowed to play rugby.

How many times? - I'm not interested in reasons: just gimme the facts.

T

The Big Marn

Yep.
It won't work - as i said some pages back: it might give you headline results but it won't improve the overall results....oh, hold on.....that's not the object.......sorry forgot I was talking to a true believer.

How many times? - I'm not interested in reasons: just gimme the facts.

Some players in the 3rd XV could easily be in the 1st XV. Is that what you wanted?

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
To me the difference is that the boy on the academic scholarship may turn out to be the next Charlie teo and make a real difference in the society and possibly directly to me. The kid on the sports scholarship will possibly make a career in rugby etc and provide some high quality entertainment for a few years after school. But I can get that from a fairly contested schoolboy game and not have to pay to get in.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I would assume that it is the personal decision of each student not to play 1sts of 2nds rugby and focus on other things.

Very fair point and happens at other schools where boys choose studies over an intensive "2nd" team environment, especially rowing. It is up to the school to make sure their teams/crews are correctly seeded.

P

Paul Randall Wight Jr.

Great to see schoolboy rugby is getting worldwide attention! Well done.​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.56.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.56.31 PM.png
    499.2 KB · Views: 273
T

The Big Marn

To me the difference is that the boy on the academic scholarship may turn out to be the next Charlie teo and make a real difference in the society and possibly directly to me. The kid on the sports scholarship will possibly make a career in rugby etc and provide some high quality entertainment for a few years after school. But I can get that from a fairly contested schoolboy game and not have to pay to get in.

I would agree with you, but does a boy in the 1st debating that is replaced by someone brought in on a scholarship deserve to feel the same disappointment after a boy brought in on an apparent rugby scholarship replaces him? I would say this answer is yes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would agree with you, but does a boy in the 1st debating that is replaced by someone brought in on a scholarship deserve to feel the same disappointment after a boy brought in on an apparent rugby scholarship replaces him? I would say this answer is yes.

when did this boy get brought in or is this hypothetical

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
Lets not forget Newington.. They have brought in a boy from Marist College in Canberra. This boy just happens to be amazing at rugby and have links with the Canterbury Bulldogs. A number of people have confirmed that he is on some sort of bursary.

Status
Not open for further replies.