• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Short memory on Reds crowds mate. It was only a few years ago we were averaging 14000

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And, as I keep pointing out, is been a shit hot snow season. I understand it's quite popular with the relatively affluent who also happen to fit the rugby fan demographic. And usually have Foxtel so have no need to go to the rugby.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think the Sydney sports crowd are all that enthusiastic for anyone. On a per head of population basis they would be beaten by Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane. Hell, on a per head of population basis Gullarganbone would rate better. Even State of Origon doesn't fill Homebush these days.

The dark days of win ugly that slowly became lose ugly finished off a lot of supporters. My brother, who used to go regularly to matches, is now a rusted on Swan. There are a lot more like him. Three people caused 90% of that - Hickey, Foley and Deans. Tahs and ARU management stood round drinking Grange and getting huge payouts instead of managing those men out of the game. You cannot get that back overnight. If we win the title this week, and the Wallabies win or go very close in the Bledisloe, then we'll see a turnaround in rugby's fortunes in Sydney next year.

To see that happen though, we must retain Cheika till after 2016, when I hope he will seamlessly transition into the national coaches role ready for 2019.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wouldn't include Canberra in that, Hawko. Crowd numbers have been staggeringly low for the Brumbies this year- they only got 14,000 last week, and they were aiming for 20!

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Short memory on Reds crowds mate. It was only a few years ago we were averaging 14000
Sully the reds have never averaged 14,000. We had a couple of very low crowd figures of around that figure maybe less but even in the bad days we still average over 18,000 Christ when we finished last we still averaged 19,800. I am not having a go at the team BH but you can't say the organisation is doing a good job with figures like that. There is only one NSW rugby team and there have to more rugby fans down there than up here so I believe they need a quick fire boot up the arse. Cheika is a godsend for Australian rugby not just NSW but he needs better support maybe Bob Dwyers team is the one to do it next year. I hope they sellout the Olympic stadium but it looks unlikely.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Where have you been for the past eight years mate? All we have done on here is bitch about the NSWRU. It's not like anyone disagrees with you.

The fact is, though, that things are better now than they have been in a long time. That has to be a cause for some satisfaction.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
What would you like the organisation to do differently? Give out free tickets?

I'd have loved to see them make the 20-25k or so worst seats for this weekend's final super cheap. Say $15 or max $20 for an adult and half that for kids.

Maybe if the ticket sales get stuck around 50k or so they can do some special promotion along these lines.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They should also be giving some tickets to local junior rugby clubs in the west of the city. Lots of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am not having a go at the team BH but you can't say the organisation is doing a good job with figures like that. There is only one NSW rugby team and there have to more rugby fans down there than up here so I believe they need a quick fire boot up the arse..

I am saying that the organisation is doing a good job now. They've completely turned the club around and they're playing a great brand of rugby and are now hosting a home final.

There were problems in the past but history can't be changed now.

It took several years to slowly whittle away the crowds and we probably lost around 10k on average per home game. For a regular game that is massive. This year we started the season hovering around 15k and got it up to 24.5k for the final home game.

No organisation can change things overnight. You can't make people attend. All you can do is try and provide a product that people want to see at a reasonable price and I think they've well and truly done that.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What would you like the organisation to do differently? Give out free tickets?

If need be yes. But obviously certain seats and to particular organisations or criteria of people. It is called a lost leader, lose a little gain a lot. If the NSWRU get people to this final and 70k plus they will come back and watch more Super Rugby fixtures especially if its played at the SFS rather than Homebush. It will also boot Rugby through the nation.

Barbarian, I suppose that's why myself and other people I have been talking to up here in Qld think it's important for Rugby to very successful down there. In the past 8 years the Tahs haven't been playing a brand worthy of spending money to go and watch them where as this year and to an extent last they certainly have. That's why I and many have been silent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd have loved to see them make the 20-25k or so worst seats for this weekend's final super cheap. Say $15 or max $20 for an adult and half that for kids.

Maybe if the ticket sales get stuck around 50k or so they can do some special promotion along these lines.

They're already only $36 for an adult, $27 concession, $18 kids and $99 for a family.

That is a couple of dollars more expensive than going to the Roosters NRL game on Saturday night.

I really think the pricing is excellent.

I highly doubt we are missing out on more than a couple of hundred people due to the price.

What does $20 get you admission to these days?

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am saying that the organisation is doing a good job now. They've completely turned the club around and they're playing a great brand of rugby and are now hosting a home final.

There were problems in the past but history can't be changed now.

It took several years to slowly whittle away the crowds and we probably lost around 10k on average per home game. For a regular game that is massive. This year we started the season hovering around 15k and got it up to 24.5k for the final home game.

No organisation can change things overnight. You can't make people attend. All you can do is try and provide a product that people want to see at a reasonable price and I think they've well and truly done that.

I agree Michael Cheika has done the last thing but the Organisations job is to promote the game. I am sorry Braveheart but if you think those numbers of 25k are acceptable you are wrong. The game you play the population you have those numbers are at least 10K from where they should be, the organisation is not doing a good job and it should have some serious replacements. I expect when and if that happens you will then see a real improvement not improvement on failure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree Michael Cheika has done the last thing but the Organisations job is to promote the game. I am sorry Braveheart but if you think those numbers of 25k are acceptable you are wrong. The game you play the population you have those numbers are at least 10K from where they should be, the organisation is not doing a good job and it should have some serious replacements. I expect when and if that happens you will then see a real improvement not improvement on failure.

Do you even read what other people write?

I said that 24.5k was a big improvement after the crowd for the first few home games hovered around 15k. Crowds were worse last year.

The Waratahs had slowly dwindling crowds in 2010 and 2011 and then the horrendous year we had in 2012 where the brand of rugby was terrible and the results were worse obliterated the crowd numbers going forward.

We are paying for the mistakes of the past and they are not easy to fix overnight.

If you have some bright ideas how you suddenly get 10,000 extra people to want to go to the Super Rugby every couple of weeks, I'm sure there are a lot of Super Rugby franchises who'd like to know.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sully the reds have never averaged 14,000. We had a couple of very low crowd figures of around that figure maybe less but even in the bad days we still average over 18,000 Christ when we finished last we still averaged 19,800.

"Never" is an overused word, particularly in light of the fact that Ballymore's capacity has never exceeded 26,000.

What where the averages during the low years at Ballymore? Before Suncorp I mean?

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"Never" is an overused word, particularly in light of the fact that Ballymore's capacity has never exceeded 26,000.

What where the averages during the low years at Ballymore? Before Suncorp I mean?

Fair point. I was working off since we have been playing a stadium designed for professional sport. Ballymore absolutely would have achieved those figures if not less.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If you have some bright ideas how you suddenly get 10,000 extra people to want to go to the Super Rugby every couple of weeks, I'm sure there are a lot of Super Rugby franchises who'd like to know.

I know! Win a title! That will get you good numbers even when your team is getting humped and has a dud coach.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They're already only $36 for an adult, $27 concession, $18 kids and $99 for a family.

That is a couple of dollars more expensive than going to the Roosters NRL game on Saturday night.

I really think the pricing is excellent.

I highly doubt we are missing out on more than a couple of hundred people due to the price.

What does $20 get you admission to these days?

The cinema.

$36 is reasonably cheap for people that have an interest in rugby, but I don't think it's cheap enough to get the somewhat curious with tight budgets to go along in the same way $15 or $20 would.

The match should be a sell out. It would almost do as much for the Waratahs as winning the title. So I'd be pricing those worst 20k seats at the very top of the stands to sell.

It might still be possible. I notice on the venue map on ticketek that the top of level 6 on both stands is not marked as any categoy (i.e. not bronze). It could be a good marketing/PR strategy to announce a new category of tickets at $15-20 bucks each on Thursday or so.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Do you even read what other people write?

I said that 24.5k was a big improvement after the crowd for the first few home games hovered around 15k. Crowds were worse last year.

The Waratahs had slowly dwindling crowds in 2010 and 2011 and then the horrendous year we had in 2012 where the brand of rugby was terrible and the results were worse obliterated the crowd numbers going forward.

We are paying for the mistakes of the past and they are not easy to fix overnight.

It's not my job as a supporter to do that however I already have said in previous posts. Either give away some tickets to this final or make them virtually a give away. There are plenty of people who don't follow any sport and they are the people you want on board. The QRU have done a great job in doing this in the past 4 years. I am sure people who go to the games and talk to people up here have noticed people who are going to rugby games never supported it in the past such as people who have immigrated here.

I am sorry to beat on about it BH I am not having a go at you but when peope defend mediocrity then NSW have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.