• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, mate. We know the drill. However they are only dodgy when you feel like it.

Your condescension is mildly amusing. But this statement is just ludicrous. I am perhaps one of the most consistent posters on this board. Everyone knows my "drill".

Read again what I said about the Reds and what Carmichael and McCall have earnt, they they worked very hard to get the results they did. It would be a shame to see the leading light of Rugby management in Australia lose the plot because of hubris, but that is the path that is being followed now IMO, proper critique can and does address that in business and other management spheres. Un-earned "respect" and deference does not.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But still. The $5M cap between all players works out about $127k each roughly. The minimum wage is $67.5k.

If hunt is on $700k that's $573k above the average. Now in order to pay Hunt $700k we'd need 9.5 players on the minimum wage.

That's before we even look at Genia, Cooper, Gill who with no top up would be on more and potential Tapuai. With reportedly no ARU top up surely the Fainga'as, Slipper, Simmons, Hanson and Horwill all would likely be on above the average here. If every one of this player is on even $180k at the Reds that basically would leave every other player in the squad on the minimum $67.5k.

If that's the case there is surely a lot more pain to come.

There is always that 3rd Party card some people like to play!

T

tranquility

Your condescension is mildly amusing. But this statement is just ludicrous. I am perhaps one of the most consistent posters on this board. Everyone knows my "drill".

Read again what I said about the Reds and what Carmichael and McCall have earnt, they they worked very hard to get the results they did. It would be a shame to see the leading light of Rugby management in Australia lose the plot because of hubris, but that is the path that is being followed now IMO, proper critique can and does address that in business and other management spheres. Un-earned "respect" and deference does not.

Yes, and did you read what I said? We have no information, save your nonsense until there are some details. Otherwise, what on earth are you talking about?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, and did you read what I said? We have no information, save your nonsense until there are some details. Otherwise, what on earth are you talking about?

Yes I did and it was the usual. You were dismissive of myself and a few Reds members very early on this year when we raised issues on structure and performance. Those views were proved correct unfortunately and now the same tune is sung because in your opinion "we have no information". There is plenty of information regarding the base foundation structures, and at this point of 2015 they are far more important than the playing roster.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd hope not. Didn't set the world on fire last time round and I'd honestly doubt he is a better super rugby play now after playing overseas.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
reckon might throw a low contract to brando vaaulu as wing cover? ex reds player - played for samoa for some games last year - back playing at sunnybank - might be an option jumping between here and japan, but would probs take up foreign marquee wouldnt he? being a foreign international capped player?
One of the worst super rugby players I have ever seen. Apparently nice bloke but he and JJ play a similar game.

T

Train Without a Station

I can live with Brando. Struggling for depth at the time, recently plundered by the Force to kick off.

But JJ. Fucking hell. It's not like he's a local who has admittedly performed at Premier level though after coming through the schoolboy system and starting on an EPS contract. He's a foreign development player. He clearly is not the quality of what you want taking a limited spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems that the Reds are more intent on hanging onto young players than they possibly should be.

I think the turnover amongst the fringe players at the Brumbies going into next year is what you need to do. They've obviously decided that some guys just aren't good enough and are cutting them to give others a crack.

It's harsh and certainly the brutal reality of professional sport but when squad spots are incredibly limited, you can't just hang onto someone out of blind faith.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I suppose on reflection the vast majority of boys at the Reds are home grown who come up thru the system (old or new). They want to play for the Reds and often would receive a greater payday at other franchises.

It is only when you get to the top of the tree (like QC (Quade Cooper), Genia, Horwill, maybe Simmons, Slipper, Gill) that you get a good payday.

The hardest thing for players, whether they be the top tier guys or not is when the franchise signs a bloke like K. Hunt (for the reported $700,000) and they (other players) feel that he is overpaid when compared to them then the tightness / culture can be detrimentally affected. Example would be a bloke who is on $150,000, who has played for the Reds for 3/4 years, spilt blood etc etc hen finds out a bloke, any bloke gets $700,000. A bloke that has not played the game for years etc etc.

Don't get me wrong about Hunt. Love tio have him and I expect that on the field the bloke will be good. How good, is yet to be determined.

An old boss of mine once responded to me when I asked for a pay rise: "Scrub, extra money is not a motivator" I repled: "Agree, but perceived lack of money can be a demotivator"
The lesser paid player has to be mindful that they will only get an increase in pay if the club is successful and gets big crowds.

Hunt may be overpaid at $700k but he will add to the clubs value especially in a season when the QLD media will be overly obsessed with Bennett returning to the Broncos

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Prove it. I can't remember one. :)

Watch a Sunnybank Premier game and he makes a few. He was a big reason they went from a 0/3 record at the start of the year to being the only team to defeat Uni this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.