• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Gentlemen (assumed)
Thankyou for an entertaining evening, IS and Big Marn in particular, outstanding work. It was similar to watching a classic tennis match, trading great volleys, a few lob shots and not too many backhands, then suddenly I found you on the same side of the net, maybe too briefly.

On another point, I don't think i've seen as many posts from a newbie (apologies to Newbie) in such a short space of time Big Marn. If this keeps up you might have to change your avatar to Michael Shelley - we still have a way to go.

Brian W - Nice film clip, i didn't think that was your genre. Must admit I had to look twice, thought it was an end of season no try scored thing - Full Moon Run in a Half Circle initially. Could be prophetic after next weeks game.

Tomorrow is another day and i can't wait to see what the headlines in the daily papers will be.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
You may not like the facts, but PSSA rep players were targeted (including members of the Newport P/S Palmer Shield winning team) and some accepted scholarships/bursaries at TSC. One of the boys listed by lone-ranger as starting in Year 7 had 2 older siblings attend an indepedent catholic school (with an excellent rugby programme) and the boy in question was about to start there, but suddenly decided to travel from Newport to Bellevue Hill. Quite normal for catholic boys at Newport to aspire to attend Scots.;)

I'm not quite sure what your point is about Australian schoolboy 5/8 from Waverley, I assume that you have one. Do tell us where this player ended up.
Think this is referring to joeys ... Connor o'shea was at waverley in year 7 and possibly year 8 ... And his Aussie school comrade Duffy well he has been in a few schools ... But who cares, doesn't necessarily mean they are on scholarships ... And good on them, for playing some great footy ... But the point is scots is not the only school importing ... And whose to know if it is an import or their parents just liked the particular school

Nick Farr jones and kearns , et al ...these guys grate on me, they have been dining out on their World Cup for how many decades ...you would think you would move on to something else ...

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
There's been plenty of comment directed at Newington over the past 2-3 years on this thread.

If the current NC firsts are full of scholarship holders it isn't apparent. Their 16As and 2nds were both weak last year as well.
Just because its not apparent doesn't mean it isn't happening
They have at least 2 new boys this year in year 11 to add to the existing ones
and they were offered theirs after the big stink (basketball) last year.
i understand that its not good for anyone when the result is what it was but it seems unfair to continue bashing Scots when Newngton are still actively recruiting and offering scholarships to talented sports people
One other thing i find completing hilarious is that Nick Far Jones is part of the
Syd Uni club that has been causing a similar problem in the Shute Shield comp

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Think this is referring to joeys . Connor o'shea was at waverley in year 7 and possibly year 8 . And his Aussie school comrade Duffy well he has been in a few schools . But who cares, doesn't necessarily mean they are on scholarships . And good on them, for playing some great footy . But the point is scots is not the only school importing . And whose to know if it is an import or their parents just liked the particular school

Nick Farr jones and kearns , et al .these guys grate on me, they have been dining out on their World Cup for how many decades .you would think you would move on to something else .
Unfortunate negative inference here - Duffy is son of old boy - was always going to do Year 11/12 at Joeys, moved from Stannies to Kinross due to a change in his family's circumstances.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
I believe if we are to have a scholarship cap of 20% for an educational institution like a school it should be extended to universities. Its only fair. if the imbalance caused by scholarships is offensive and threatening to schoolboy rugby it is equally threatening to Club rugby as many have stated in the past. World domination at club level is also damaging to our code. Massive scores like that against Easts by a semi professional team like Uni on the same day as Scots (same colours as Uni) is no good for rugby.So boys at the NSWRU get into the papers tomorrow and call for a revamp of the Shute Shield with a mandatory 20% scholarship cap. I dare you...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just because its not apparent doesn't mean it isn't happening
They have at least 2 new boys this year in year 11 to add to the existing ones
and they were offered theirs after the big stink (basketball) last year.
i understand that its not good for anyone when the result is what it was but it seems unfair to continue bashing Scots when Newngton are still actively recruiting and offering scholarships to talented sports people
One other thing i find completing hilarious is that Nick Far Jones is part of the
Syd Uni club that has been causing a similar problem in the Shute Shield comp

I didn't say it wasn't happening, I said it wasn't apparent. We can hardly post about things of which we aren't aware. You are obviously aware of it.

100% agree about Farr-Jones - as an NC old boy, he was deafeningly silent when they were handing out floggings. This may actually have come to a head last year in the New v Shore game at the end of the year, but for the intervention of the referee in that game who restricted NC to 48-3 by providing Shore with 80% of the ball with a mountainous penalty count.

As for the NFJ proposal that the NSWRU would run a schools competition and have CHS and CAS schools playing Scots - it's just too ludicrous for words. The NSWRU have presided over a massive decline in junior club numbers, so I'd have no faith in them running anything well. If they have time and resources to throw are organising under age rugby, I'd suggest they put it there. The idea that any CHS school would be able to compete with Scots any better than New did on Saturday is fantasy - they can't even compete in the Waratah Shield. Scots have beaten the top CAS school by 50, so nothing much happening there. I notice he doesn't mention ISA - he probably doesn't realise it exists, but the top 2 ISA schools wouldn't go much better than NC either.

The magnitude of last Saturday's win has done more to highlight what Scots are doing than any posts on this thread.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I believe if we are to have a scholarship cap of 20% for an educational institution like a school it should be extended to universities. Its only fair. if the imbalance caused by scholarships is offensive and threatening to schoolboy rugby it is equally threatening to Club rugby as many have stated in the past. World domination at club level is also damaging to our code. Massive scores like that against Easts by a semi professional team like Uni on the same day as Scots (same colours as Uni) is no good for rugby.So boys at the NSWRU get into the papers tomorrow and call for a revamp of the Shute Shield with a mandatory 20% scholarship cap. I dare you.

Expecting the NSWRU to do much about anything is optimistic :). Don't hold your breath.

They'll all be too busy patting themselves on the back over the Waratahs this week and having the blazers dry-cleaned, so they can swan around the VIP suites at Homebush on Saturday night.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As for the NFJ proposal that the NSWRU would run a schools competition and have CHS and CAS schools playing Scots - it's just too ludicrous for words. The NSWRU have presided over a massive decline in junior club numbers, so I'd have no faith in them running anything well. If they have time and resources to throw are organising under age rugby, I'd suggest they put it there. The idea that any CHS school would be able to compete with Scots any better than New did on Saturday is fantasy - they can't even compete in the Waratah Shield. Scots have beaten the top CAS school by 50, so nothing much happening there. I notice he doesn't mention ISA - he probably doesn't realise it exists, but the top 2 ISA schools wouldn't go much better than NC either.

The magnitude of last Saturday's win has done more to highlight what Scots are doing than any posts on this thread.

Well how can you expect NSWRU to have any clue?
NFJ and his mate Kearns are so eager to give a quote that they can't be bothered ascertaining that "a cap" on scholarships is unnecessary - there is already an agreement for there to be none. zero, zilch. nada. 0. (right or wrong)
This is the level of understanding the chairman of NSWRU has.
Is it any wonder the grass roots are in the state they are in.
One simple mouse click would have led him to this:
Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:
No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.
http://www.aagps.nsw.edu.au/

So if he can't ascertain what the rules are before opening his mouth why would he be able to organise a better comp - he hasn't even thought of a single one of your very good points, QH.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Why on earth would a school force their entire candidature do a subject that even academically gifted students find challenging?

BTW to be clear ...."advanced English" is actually the old 2 Unit English...one step up from 2 unit A in the old language

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi all,

At the risk of sticking my neck out here, I'd like to ask why there is such a different outlook placed on a 100 odd point drubbing by a 1st IV when there are similar results littered throughout the other GPS rugby results every week?

I'm all for a bit of ol' boy pride, but surely the impact on a young boy playing in the 14Es who gets thumped by 100 is as significant as the impact on a young man playing in the 1st IV.... perhaps not as damaging to the 'pride of the school'.... but surely hurts as much to the boys involved in either scenario... and there are regularly results like that where one team turned up to play and the other didn't, or one was simply too good.

I am dismayed that 'leaders' of the rugby community, like NFJ could even contemplate opening their mouths on an issue like this in a week that should all be about promoting the game via the Waratahs success, rather than whining about a loss in a game of schoolboy football. What chance do young men have to succeed when every time they lose, their parents, mentors or idols find excuses for the loss, rather than accepting the universal truth that the only way to correct the situation is via hard work and graft? It's a game of rugby.... not the end of the world.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
In terms of the Advanced English stuff that everyone is talking about, the difference between Standard and Advanced is that in Advanced you have to study at least one Shakespearean text, and you don't in Advanced. However, the reason why some schools encourage students strongly to do Advanced is that less than 1% of the candidature in Standard get Band 6s. In fact, according to my old school's HSC Report from 2013, not 1 person got a Band 6 in Standard English across NSW.

At my old school, they only offer Advanced English in Year 11, and they do offer it in Year 12, to show what Advanced is like and then they let the boys decide which one they want to do.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
However, the reason why some schools encourage students strongly to do Advanced is that less than 1% of the candidature in Standard get Band 6s. In fact, according to my old school's HSC Report from 2013, not 1 person got a Band 6 in Standard English across NSW.

130 did but you point is valid - harder subjects by and large (with one of two silly exceptions) generate more Band 6s.

Status
Not open for further replies.