• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Any predictions on the expected crowd size at View v Scots? Given a top of the table clash, and the press Scots have received, could be a big one.

Someone said last week said that Scots would beat Riverview by 50 and I disagreed, although I think that Scots will win comfortably.

Last week's Scots/New and View/Shore matches have changed my mind a bit. I still that that Scots will win comfortably, but I no longer think that a 50 point margin is out of the question.

Scots seem to be getting better each week and are at the top of their game at the moment. A brave soul to tip against them.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
another letter from Lambert re the weekend footy, circulating the eastern suburbs wags .. once it hits the joeys blokes it goes viral, and they want to know why there is no reference to the hyerbaric chamber, and sports supplements

... surprised the letter hasn't surfaced here yet, maybe on the other thread :confused:

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
another letter from Lambert re the weekend footy, circulating the eastern suburbs wags .. once it hits the joeys blokes it goes viral, and they want to know why there is no reference to the hyerbaric chamber, and sports supplements

. surprised the letter hasn't surfaced here yet, maybe on the other thread :confused:

I'd love to read the letter and see what he has to say about it all, any chance you can get a copy of it?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
My experience is that all the schools provide a level of medical assistance.
AR's for back play I assume: I have to say that I have seen very little if anything in back play from any school that would warrant the intervention of an AR. For the most part the teachers are around and will pull the boys into line if need be.
I actually can't really fault the way most of the school games run - I think they are generally less edgy than village games.

I agree - my experience is that there are very few foul play issues as the players are concerned about how the school would react - an even greater threat than a card.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree - my experience is that there are very few foul play issues as the players are concerned about how the school would react - an even greater threat than a card.

Agreed. I have seen coaches take boys off even when refs have done nothing; follow up disciplinary action during the following week is not unusual; and schools usually inform the other school what they have done.
I would hope the coaching and student management is preventative too!

Dummy Half

Frank Row (1)
On watching that Scots v New video the lopsided victory appeared to be more an issue of New defence than anything else. The Scots boys did look sharp but essentially waltzed through a feeble back line. Perhaps the end of the world is not on us just yet.

It will be very interesting to see how they go against View, but only a brave person would tip against them.

L

lone-ranger

Who are the best players for scots?
having missed every game so far this season and only watching last season could someone please fill me in? How are they going without their superstar kellaway?

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
And there will be games in which Scots play this year in which "significant weight and strength differences" will exist.

Not true. By the end of this weekend, Scots would have played against every school. No significant weight or strength differences. Significant skills difference however, most definitely.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not true. By the end of this weekend, Scots would have played against every school. No significant weight or strength differences. Significant skills difference however, most definitely.

If you are right, the extensive scientific program used by Scots is a significant failure. But i don't think you are right.

Theking12

Stan Wickham (3)
Moving away from the scots v new game I'll be very interested in the high 2nds v joeys 5th. My son plays in the 4ths at scots and they were outplayed in all aspects of the game. I was talking to a joeys father and he told me they beat tas 2nds, st Greg's 2nds, Knox 4ths, shore 5th all with comfortable margins. This team of year 12 boys is a team to watch after watching them play scots, they were quick to the breakdown, loved to spread the ball wide and had a great sense of mate ship while playing. Isn't this what rugby at GPS schools is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
IMO, this is a perfect example of the mess that is NSW Schoolboy rugby. How terribly confusing for supporters when you have 2nds teams playing 4ths, 5ths playing 2nds and so on. Admittedly NSW does produce some of the best Schoolboy Rugby and players, but this is just a baffling system. I am a GPS old boy (QLD where it is still a competitive and fairly sensible system), but it seems like it is past time that NSW School Boy Rugby moves on from the GPS, CHS, etc...etc.. groupings and goes forward into an all inclusive High School relegation system, if only in rugby if nothing else.

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Moving away from the scots v new game I'll be very interested in the high 2nds v joeys 5th. My son plays in the 4ths at scots and they were outplayed in all aspects of the game. I was talking to a joeys father and he told me they beat tas 2nds, st Greg's 2nds, Knox 4ths, shore 5th all with comfortable margins. This team of year 12 boys is a team to watch after watching them play scots, they were quick to the breakdown, loved to spread the ball wide and had a great sense of mate ship while playing. Isn't this what rugby at GPS schools is about.

Yes some of those lower year 12 games are most enjoyable.So much so that I almost always come to the schools earlier to watch at least from the 5ths up-I can't always get their earlier and you are right many are played with great enthusiasm and are open fast matches and great to watch
I know that at my sons' school their 5ths is known as the social team(three of my 5 sons have played in the past in the 5ths over the years) and is full of players( so are the fourths) who if they wanted could be in the 2nds or even give the firsts a nudge but they prefer to play for fun with their close mates and not train so hard and this aside after a few matches all the teams down to the 10ths learn to look forward to their games and want to win and are very aware of the win/loss standing of their team.It is as you say what GPS schools are all about but after a lot of thought I think with the times changing and world wide sport being such a massive employer both directly and indirectly with the highest grade teams the schools, especially the likes of GPS with their resources, especially need to embrace this level as part of education not treat it as a hobby and resource it properly and fully and safely for the participants who are required by the normal competition demands of the pre professional world demands to train hard and long each week and face huge physical man size contests(the boys are mostly 18 year old men don't forget).I am not just talking about rugby here but all top grade year 12 sports.That doesn't mean they still aren't fun-go talk to a ISTXV player and ask him if he finds it fun.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Yes some of those lower year 12 games are most enjoyable.So much so that I almost always come to the schools earlier to watch at least from the 5ths up-I can't always get their earlier and you are right many are played with great enthusiasm and are open fast matches and great to watch
I know that at my sons' school their 5ths is known as the social team(three of my 5 sons have played in the past in the 5ths over the years) and is full of players( so are the fourths) who if they wanted could be in the 2nds or even give the firsts a nudge but they prefer to play for fun with their close mates and not train so hard and this aside after a few matches all the teams down to the 10ths learn to look forward to their games and want to win and are very aware of the win/loss standing of their team.It is as you say what GPS schools are all about but after a lot of thought I think with the times changing and world wide sport being such a massive employer both directly and indirectly with the highest grade teams the schools, especially the likes of GPS with their resources, especially need to embrace this level as part of education not treat it as a hobby and resource it properly and fully and safely for the participants who are required by the normal competition demands of the pre professional world demands to train hard and long each week and face huge physical man size contests(the boys are mostly 18 year old men don't forget).I am not just talking about rugby here but all top grade year 12 sports.That doesn't mean they still aren't fun-go talk to a ISTXV player and ask him if he finds it fun.
Talking with a View dad who saw the SBH 2nd XV, mentioned that SBH lacked discipline and had a number of boys binned for foul play. The game apparently was not too much fun for anyone involved. I also think you're correct in that the assumption that because they have extensive training regimes in the 1sts etc the boys aren't having fun is way off. The experience even between 1's and 2's for the boys is different. When you see the pride that the schools have in their 1st XV even when they aren't winning is incredible and those boys definitely feel proud and honoured to be a part of that. The absolute excitement firstly shown by the Shore supporters last week when the took the lead against view, was only matched by the View supporters when they struck back at the end, is actually what the GPS comp is all about. 2 sides giving their all for their schools and their supporters, and 2 groups of supporters riding every up and down with their team. I only wish I had been good enough to gave had experienced it many year ago.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)

Interesting to see considering the fact that the SBH 2nd's I believe are an all year 11 team

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Has normal service resumed yet?

This week's matches

New v Joeys
View v Scots
Shore v Kings

3rds

High v Joeys
New v View
Grammar v Scots
Kings v TAS