• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you're suggesting that Angus Crichton has been recruited, the I think you need to get with the programme. Now, you certainly cannot deny that Scots has been instrumental in the development of most of their players: Porter, Smith, Terbutt, Crichton, Strang, Prindiville, Hendrie, Girdler and Woods have all been beneficiaries of the College's programme. Although, I suppose that was all the Roosters' and other NRL clubs work too.

Nope - I'm taking credit for Smith: he played 12 in a team I helped with last year.
Sure, we didn't train but the few pre-match and half time talks I did made all the difference.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Rugby Mum 2 (BTW good creativity in the name choice) as you have shown your allegiances to the Pink and Blue, maybe you explain the rich Waverley academy Joeys is tapping into (see CAS thread) or the 2 young lads that found their way there in year 8 following the junior championships? One just being selected in the NSW under 15s.

Why thank you, narky comment noted. I don't know much about the younger grades but unless the boy is indigenous it would not be a sporting scholarship. Perhaps his parents liked the school ethos and its stellar Rugby program? Maybe they thought Waverley was crap and lacked discipline. Who knows? I don't.

Names would be useful instead of being so cryptic

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waverley's losses outlined below. No suggestion of any scholarships.

<snip>

In 2008, Waverley Prep 1sts were UNDEFEATED including a victory over Riverview who have developed into a strong GPS 1st XV team.That Waverley team is now in Yr 12. A lot can change in 6 seasons.
Players from that talented team who have since left Waverley for various reasons include:
Connor O'Shea - St Josephs (Aust Schools 2014 Flyhalf)
Jacob Ticehurst - St Josephs (Track & Field Athlete & Winger)
Matt Serhon - Newington (NSW 2's 2014,NSW 1's 2013 Hooker / Prop)
Nick Makas - Cranbrook (CAS 1sts 2014 No: 8)
Will Ball - Newington (GPS Blue 2014 Winger / Full Back)
Michael Kambas - Newington 1st XV / 2nd XV Winger / Centre)
Nick Carroll - Cranbrook (CAS 2nds 2014 Centre)

Also 2 players who would have been in Yr 11 had they stayed at Waverley:
Charlie Smith - Scots (Aust Schools 2014 No 8 / Back Row)
Tom Wright - St Josephs (NSW 2nds 2014 Winger / Full Back)
# So,serious Rugby talent has left Waverley from this Age Group Cohort.
<snip>

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
O'shea and Ticehurst both have fathers who work at Joeys . Wright has been there since Yr 7. Serhon's father works at Newington.

T

The Big Marn

Why thank you, narky comment noted. I don't know much about the younger grades but unless the boy is indigenous it would not be a sporting scholarship. Perhaps his parents liked the school ethos and its stellar Rugby program? Maybe they thought Waverley was crap and lacked discipline. Who knows? I don't.

Yeah sounds alright, but interestingly if you were talking about Scots you'd sound a lot like the Scots defenders, that seem to be disregarded so readily on this forum. Which I think makes your remarks somewhat hypocritical.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah sounds alright, but interestingly if you were talking about Scots you'd sound a lot like the Scots defenders, that seem to be disregarded so readily on this forum. Which I think makes your remarks somewhat hypocritical.

I think SJC avoid that criticism because they are so strong at the bottom: it is not as obvious.
My SJC sources are not as strong at the moment so I cant fan the fire but in the past it has been reasonably reliably confirmed to me.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)

How? I don't know who you are talking about. If I knew, I could tell you.

Re Scots, the players/parents tell everyone that they have scholarships so its not a classified secret.

moneyball

Bob McCowan (2)
I think SJC avoid that criticism because they are so strong at the bottom: it is not as obvious.
My SJC sources are not as strong at the moment so I cant fan the fire but in the past it has been reasonably reliably confirmed to me.

I dont know about this year but last year Joeys provided the information that there were 10 boys who had joined Joeys after year 9 in the 1st XV squad . Second only to Newington. Joeys regularly have boys who start in yr 10 and 11 in the 1st XV . In the old days they regularly had boys repeat yr12 from another school and so on.

RM2 To carry on about other schools not developing boys from yr 7 into 1st XV is an incredible double standard.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

My I suggest care with using names of pupils etc.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Joey's also has the benefit of hosting primary-age rep carnivals each year at their grounds. It must be a particularly wonderful experience for the boys because, according to friends who have had their boys participate, a number of lads who hadn't planned on going to boarding school arrive at Joey's the following year.

Surfs Up

Bob McCowan (2)
Depth is an interesting concept - number of teams/players or the success of the A/B teams in each age group. I think the north of the harbour schools would favour the former and the south the latter, especially in 'ye olde days" . Hard to compete on numbers when you only field down to a C's or D's. To this point does anyone know how Scotts A's in 13 to 16 fared on the weekend?

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Scots 13A, 14A, 15A all won, 16A lost in a fairly close one.

Edited to add: Scots won 17 games and lost 12. There have been a few negative comments regarding depth; I haven't looked at other weeks results but I think this looks like the Scots program is improving standards across the age groups.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
I dont know about this year but last year Joeys provided the information that there were 10 boys who had joined Joeys after year 9 in the 1st XV squad . Second only to Newington. Joeys regularly have boys who start in yr 10 and 11 in the 1st XV . In the old days they regularly had boys repeat yr12 from another school and so on.

RM2 To carry on about other schools not developing boys from yr 7 into 1st XV is an incredible double standard.

Maybe English is a second language for you so I will go slowly. I have never said what you assert. Many boys join many schools in Yr10,11 and 12 mainly because boarding fees are extremely high. Small thing called a drought has impacted many families who would ordinarily start in Yr 7. SCots, Joeys, Kings would all be affected.

The point is, no sports scholarships at Joeys. Let me repeat, no sport scholarships at Joeys.

All schools develop boys from Yr 7, even Scots. These boys usually make up the 13As, then the 14As….until one day, they might make the 1sts or 2nds.
Not all schools import 1/2 a team like Scots except Newington.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For anyone joining or rejoining the thread (I'm tuning out for a while) we have returned to the south western corner of the mulberry bush.
All aboard, first stop hunters hill followed by north parramatta then all stops to college street for a quick tour of the similarities between academic and sporting scholarships before heading over to north sydney, via gladesville, in order to review the likelihood of the existence of rowing scholarships - brookvale buses depart on the round service [anyone joining in brook vale should have (a) their 5 minute ergie score handy for an all expenses paid trip to SIRC on HOTR day] on the half hour - this service terminates at stanmore where you can view cricket, rugby and water polo played at the highest levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.