• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez BDA
Wamberal has posted a view (and beautiful it is)
Jets has flown in
Tomikin has riden in
and
Braveheart has palmed everyone

And I'm still eager to hear your view.

T

Train Without a Station

Tomikin I wouldn't say Lilo is in poor form. He's performing as a decent Super Rugby player, much like he has in the past too. But you would not describe it "good" or "above average". He's been one of the lesser quality Brumbies performers, who's position is probably only saved by making minimal errors.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Plays long minutes, but doesn't get through nearly as much work as Simo, Horwill or Carter. Is decidedly average in the line-outs. Makes the odd big hit, but Skelton usually makes more of an impact in 30 minutes than Douglas does in 80. I just don't see it.

Clearly, because of the stats that DON'T track "doing the dirty work".

If Douglas was that crap, do you honestly think the Tahs would be where they are?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of the Tahs locks Douglas also played by far the most minutes. About 350 minutes more than Potgieter and almost 500 more than Skelton.

He's absolutely been a key part of the Tahs forward pack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Peter Betham has been brought into the Wallaby squad following Speight's injury.

Given he hasn't played for a long time, there'll be plenty surprised by that decison. I guess there aren't a lot of options available.

T

Train Without a Station

Plenty were surprised last year too and he performed quite well. Barring further injuries he won't even make the bench though you would expect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Plenty were surprised last year too and he performed quite well. Barring further injuries he won't even make the bench though you would expect.

Agreed. I'd expect Horne, McCabe and Tomane to be ahead of him for the second wing spot.

It will be interesting to see who gets selected in the first test. Seems really open to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Speight has apparently been ruled out for a month so I guess he's still a good chance to debut against Argentina on the Gold Coast.

T

Train Without a Station

So realistically Speight hasn't been ruled out for any games then?

Odd they brought another player in as they were always going to be working with a squad of 31 until he was eligible.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Running Opposed sessions?

I can't remember the exact make up of the squad, but if you take out Cowan and Burgess, would you have a proper XV on XV session, with only 1 or 2 out of position?

T

Train Without a Station

But wasn't Speight and Tomane included at the expense of Cummins (Unavailable) and Luke Jones?

I was under the impression they considered the 5th lock/loose forward superfluous and wanted to have cover when Speight was unavailable instead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe McKenzie is thinking that there is only going to be one outside back outside the matchday 23 until Speight is eligible within his existing squad.

If Speight takes longer to recover than expected, he probably wants someone else up to speed in case of injury.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Or, looking ahead he's taking the opportunity to give a player of immense potential, some time in a more elite environment where he can more closely gauge his mindset and develop the relationship between coach/player a little more.

After all, at that level you're not really teaching people how to tackle, you're more of a sports shrink who's ensuring everyone stays hungry and that they feel important, which explains Link's success in getting the best out of his squads and players.

T

Train Without a Station

BH you're probably right. I remember a number of comments about the outside back depth in the June squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Slipper 2. TPN 3. Kepu 4. Simmons 5. Carter 6. Fardy 7. Hooper (c) 8. Palu 9. White 10. Foley 11. Tomane 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Folau 16. Charles 17. Sio 18. Alexander 19. Skelton 20. McCalman 21. Phipps 22. Beale 23. McCabe

This 23 would've firmed after good performances by Carter and Skelton again. Possibly Horne in for McCabe at 23 if he produces another Test-like performance this Saturday.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Horne deserves the start, his been consistently good for the Tags on the wing. McCabe as super sub.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Horne and Tomane would be fighting it out atm.

I would prefer Horne gets the start, as his defence is exceptional and Savea needs to be contained.

We have other players who can be strike weapons and flashy, Savea is one of many threats that will need to be stopped, and we'd be better off with Horne. He's earned it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So realistically Speight hasn't been ruled out for any games then?

Odd they brought another player in as they were always going to be working with a squad of 31 until he was eligible.
On the face of it, yes, it would seem.
But, say Speight does not recover as fast as they hope, and they need, at some point, to bring in another "back 3" player. I guess it's better to have someone in there, training already with the squad and tuned in to the game plan etc. Easy to do that and let him go if Speight is fine in 4 weeks, I guess.
That's my take.
I am a bit surprised by Betham too.

Reactions: BDA
Status
Not open for further replies.