• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
While there may be questions over McCalman's impact at test level, he's a gun at Super level and I reckon he'd be a fine replacement for Mowen. But as this is fan forum speculation based on Growden scuttlebutt, I'd suggest the likelihood of it happening is in the near vicinity of zero

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon Benny Mac wouldn't go near a Richard Graham coached team with a 40ft barge pole. Pretty sure he was with Matt Hodgson in the playing group voting to stand RG down mid season after he'd signed with the Reds.

That wasn't the question. Someone was suggesting that Mac wouldn't be wanted by a number of state teams. I was suggesting we'd take him. Don't be so defensive.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That wasn't the question. Someone was suggesting that Mac wouldn't be wanted by a number of state teams. I was suggesting we'd take him. Don't be so defensive.

I'm not worried about it :) Just trying to bring some sanity to the discussion. Longer term, I think you are better off with Browning.

If Benny was going to go, I'd wager on the Brumbies. Reckon he'd take a bit of a hair cut though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah because the brumbies who just lost a test standard 8 would rather have a 30 year old, a bloke who hasn't played for 2 years and a rookie over a 30 test #8 who was massive in the resurgence of a club this year....

As a Brumby long-term supporter, I would certainly prefer to go with our existing than to bring Ben in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What the fuck does that have to do with anything?? You're kidding if you think Aeulua, Vaea (who doesn't even play) or Butler are better players than McCalman.

We shall see in the fullness of time. Anyway, Ben McC will probably only be available next year. Expect he will be off overseas after the RWC whether he plays again for the Wallabies or not. At this time, I would place Hoiles in better form than Ben and won/t be surprised if he gets some more test time.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
We shall see in the fullness of time. Anyway, Ben McC will probably only be available next year. Expect he will be off overseas after the RWC whether he plays again for the Wallabies or not. At this time, I would place Hoiles in better form than Ben and won/t be surprised if he gets some more test time.
Wow you really don't like McCalman do you.

Hoiles has started about 3 games this year and has been solid in those matcha.

McCalman was arguably the best 8 in Australia going into the test break and had 3 solid games after the break.

Not sure what more he needs to do but i doubt you would give him credit no matter how he plays.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think about Hoiles is that he is playing for a dominant team and you always look better than you actually are when playing for a dominant team.

Hoiles and McCalman are two guys that are great at Super Rugby level but probably aren't big and physical enough to be long term options at 8 at test level.

It'll be interesting to see who McKenzie goes for.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wow you really don't like McCalman do you.

Hoiles has started about 3 games this year and has been solid in those matcha.

McCalman was arguably the best 8 in Australia going into the test break and had 3 solid games after the break.

Not sure what more he needs to do but i doubt you would give him credit no matter how he plays.

Think you've summed me up quite nicely. In my defence, I hold my opinion of Ben entirely on the performances he has put in for the Wallabies, which imo is pretty low. Hoiles in three games has offered a whole lot lore than Ben imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think about Hoiles is that he is playing for a dominant team and you always look better than you actually are when playing for a dominant team.

Hoiles and McCalman are two guys that are great at Super Rugby level but probably aren't big and physical enough to be long term options at 8 at test level.

It'll be interesting to see who McKenzie goes for.

Pretty much the opinion of Deans as well. In his defence, I'd say that in the past couple of games, Hoiles has had more impact than Cliff Palu, who is in the midst of one of his best seasons to date. Isn't that big enough?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty much the opinion of Deans as well. In his defence, I'd say that in the past couple of games, Hoiles has had more impact than Cliff Palu, who is in the midst of one of his best seasons to date. Isn't that big enough?

Yeah but the past couple of games have been cake-walks for the Waratahs. Brumbies destroyed, Highlanders destroyed, Reds destroyed. As a high work rate forward, Hoiles would have looked golden. McCalman has been in the side that has been dominated twice. In a parallel universe where Hoiles played for the Force and McCalman for the Tahs. McCalman would look a hell of a lot better on the basis of the last three games.

But to be honest, I don't really care who they pick at the end of the day as long as we win.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think it is a good sign that the Force are getting the guys not getting a run to re-sign as well building depth

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
2015 Squad Updated

1.Chris Heiberg Development Player 2016
2.Ollie Hoskins 2016
3.Tetera Faulkner 2015
4.Heath Tessman 2015
5.Wilhelm Steenkamp Marquee Player 2016
6.Sam Wykes 2015
7.Adam Coleman 2016
8.Matt Hodgson Wallabies Caps 2015
9.Ben McCalman Wallabies Caps 2015
10.Brynard Stander Development Player 2015
11.Ian Prior 2015
12.Zack Holmes 2015
13.Kyle Godwin 2016
14.Marcel Brache Development Player 2015
15.Luke Morahan Wallabies Cap 2015
16. Alby Mathewson Marquee All Black Caps 2016
17. Angus Cottrell 2016

18. Nathan Charles Wallabies Caps 2016
19. Rory Walton 2016

Off contract

Pek Cowan Wallabies Caps
Chris Alcock
Sias Ebersohn Development Player
Chris Tuatara-Morrison
Dane Haylett-Petty
Junior Rasolea
Pat Dellit
Robbie Abel (EPS)
Ryan Louwrens (EPS)
Luke Burton (EPS)

Gone
Phoenix Battye
Kieran Longbottom
Hugh McMennamin (Was contracted for 2015 but he gone)

Nick Cummins Wallabies Caps 2015
Jayden Hayward Development Player
Salesi Manu
Ed Stubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.