• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders 2014 Super Rugby Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's an interesting one because the Tahs have the advantage in the open play and the 'saders have the advantage in the tight play..so each team will be trying to construct a game plan that plays to their own strengths but also exploits the other team's weaknesses..and somehow I don't think it's going to be as simple as the 'Saders playing tight all game and the Tahs sending it wide all game..although no doubt each will plan to capitalise in those areas.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
While the Tahs do like to spread it wide, their success this season has been built on early aggression in tight. They tend not to commit many to the breakdown, but Palu, TPN and JacPot all do an excellent job driving the ball forward in close quarters. That's what provides the foundation for width.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
agree that their best moments have been after banging it up close and building it up for several phases and then exploiting opportunities out wide..but the 'saders aren't going to let that happen easily, in fact will try to counter it one would suspect by shutting them down..

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Crusaders have:
- Left/right-footed 10/12 kickers;
- Dominant lineout;
- Probably an edge in the scrum;
- Read and Nadolo roaming out wide.

Tahs:
- Probably the more abrasive tight-loose play (which will gradually take the sting out of the Crusaders' set-piece advantage);
- More ability to score tries through the backs, from all over the park;
- The better defence.

The way I see it, the Tahs' bundle of skills are good for 5/6 points more than the Crusaders'.

There you have it. Rugby, solved.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not so sure about that logic. one of the things that used to kill the 'Tahs early in the comp against the Reds in particular was this nonsense that they were treating like any other game.

Meanwhile, the Reds, even if they were playing terribly throughout the year, would treat it like it was Origin or a GF and play with immense intensity. For this reason, the buggers beat us 8-0 for the first 8 years of the comp in spite of often having teams that looked weaker on paper.

It took the arrival of Ewen McKenzie at the 'Tahs for us to start actually treating the game as a sort of pseudo final before we started winning a few.

Personally, I'm hoping the Crusaders treat this game like the one they played against England ;-) .

I get that stuff like that may work with something like an age old rivalry of QLD and NSW, but there really isn't anything like this when it comes to Tahs and Crusaders. They haven't even played against each other this season, so you can't even use a previous game as a basis of focus.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Five

Blue_Bulls.png

Like I said, too many of them around here.....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The way I see it, the Tahs' bundle of skills are good for 5/6 points more than the Crusaders'

I suspect you're right but it only takes a moment of genius or madness to turn a 5/6 point deficit into a 2/1 point lead. Bounce of the ball, rub of the green, George fucking Ayoub in the TMO chair, anything could happen & it probably will. FFS don't tell anyone but I'm currently hoping for rather than anticipating a title come Saturday.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The big end of town are on board with 195 of 230 suites and boxes sold.
Apparently, interest not seen since Man U were in town.

Hey everyone, I think this might be the Waratahs most important game of the season.

Just this season? Could be most important since Super Rugby began for the Tahs. Win it and it could generate additional interest in the NRC and Rugby Championship in Sydney and NSW.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The Crusaders have welcomed the decision to take this Saturday's Super Rugby final to ANZ Stadium.

The competition decider is being held at the Olympic venue rather than the Waratahs regular home ground, the Sydney Football Stadium.

Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder says it's an advantage for his side.

"To us it's really exciting that we're playing there, I'm pleased we are playing there and not their other stadium where they've had so much success. It almost feels like a neutral venue."

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/news/sprug/773444533-super-rugby--crusaders-confident-for-final

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just this season? Could be most important since Super Rugby began for the Tahs. Win it and it could generate additional interest in the NRC and Rugby Championship in Sydney and NSW.

Of course. I was just referring to the fact that we've rightly said it was the Tahs most important game of the season about 8 times this year.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I get that stuff like that may work with something like an age old rivalry of QLD and NSW, but there really isn't anything like this when it comes to Tahs and Crusaders. They haven't even played against each other this season, so you can't even use a previous game as a basis of focus.

What I was more implying there was that if one team treats a game like a grand final and the other treats it like any other match, then the one playing for more often gets the win, simply because they want it so much more.

I don't think the Crusaders will be playing this with anything like the calm that you're suggesting, but if they were you'd definitely install the 'Tahs as favourites because you'd know that they'd leave absolutely nothing out there.

Just on the crowd, it might not be fashionable to say this, but I'd love to see Blatchy's Blues get their crew going for this. It would add a bit of colour and added parochialism to the whole thing if you could get them on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.