• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Moving away from the scots v new game I'll be very interested in the high 2nds v joeys 5th. My son plays in the 4ths at scots and they were outplayed in all aspects of the game. I was talking to a joeys father and he told me they beat tas 2nds, st Greg's 2nds, Knox 4ths, shore 5th all with comfortable margins. This team of year 12 boys is a team to watch after watching them play scots, they were quick to the breakdown, loved to spread the ball wide and had a great sense of mate ship while playing. Isn't this what rugby at GPS schools is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the New 4ths accounted for High 2s quite easily

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
If you are right, the extensive scientific program used by Scots is a significant failure. But i don't think you are right.
Sports Science at Scots is not about weight and strength. It is about better understanding teenage boys physiology and thereby adapting training methods to suit this physiology. Also a lot of the research is about improving injury prevention and developing better methods of injury rehabilitation. Much of the work is purely statistical information gathering and analysis. Talk of protein shakes and the like, shows there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation going around about what sports science is really about.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sports Science at Scots is not about weight and strength. It is about better understanding teenage boys physiology and thereby adapting training methods to suit this physiology. Also a lot of the research is about improving injury prevention and developing better methods of injury rehabilitation. Much of the work is purely statistical information gathering and analysis. Talk of protein shakes and the like, shows there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation going around about what sports science is really about.
Sorry quick hands but I can't let this one go through to the keeper. I feel the scots no.10 from the first game of the season is probably a prime example of injury prevention and rehab. After his shoulder popped out during training the week before the game he still took the field. 10minutes in it popped out. Take him off? No push it in and send him out again! Next attempted pass it pops again. Ok, this time he can come off. A fortnight later he's on for another 10 minutes. I believe he's out for at least this year and possibly next. That's wrong in so many ways. Sorry again, was enjoying the discussion about lower grades.

T

The Big Marn

Sorry quick hands but I can't let this one go through to the keeper. I feel the scots no.10 from the first game of the season is probably a prime example of injury prevention and rehab. After his shoulder popped out during training the week before the game he still took the field. 10minutes in it popped out. Take him off? No push it in and send him out again! Next attempted pass it pops again. Ok, this time he can come off. A fortnight later he's on for another 10 minutes. I believe he's out for at least this year and possibly next. That's wrong in so many ways. Sorry again, was enjoying the discussion about lower grades.

Interested to hear where you gained your medical accreditation oranges?
The case here was a shoulder instability from the previous year - in opting to forego surgery during Year 12 (HSC) the risk was there. He passed the pre-season but started to stumble in the first rounds, time is not a factor considering how far progressed the injury is, just management or surgery - simple. The management strategies were well pursued - unsuccessfully - and the disappointing reality for the boy is a reconstruction.

In any event, I imagine the opinion of a physiotherapist and surgeon is of greater importance in the decision process that your observations.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Can we talk rugby on this thread?:)
I think this is looking like the best round of the competition thus far.

We have the top of the table View v Scots. Enough said about this game already.

Shore, who though they lost last week, must have gained a huge degree of confidence from their tussle against View, will take on Kings. Also Shore must be confident going into this game as they beat Kings in the pre-season. I would just love Shore to get a win up. They are a team with a big heart. For sentimental reasons I tip Shore by 5 points in a close encounter.

Can New come back after the massacre by Scots? Are any of the boys still feeling any remnants of the tummy bug and injury toll of previous games that affected the teams performance so significantly last week? I believe New will be hurting and will put on a much better showing, but I still think Joeys will win. I believe Joeys depth, which is a blessing in one sense, was a curse early in the season as it took them some time to settle on the players for their 1st XV. I am seeing improvement in Joeys performance each week and that depth might now become their strength in the back half of the season as injury and fatigue takes its toll on other schools in the comp. Joeys by 10+.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The case here was a shoulder instability from the previous year - in opting to forego surgery during Year 12 (HSC) the risk was there. He passed the pre-season but started to stumble in the first rounds, time is not a factor considering how far progressed the injury is, just management or surgery - simple. The management strategies were well pursued - unsuccessfully - and the disappointing reality for the boy is a reconstruction.

In any event, I imagine the opinion of a physiotherapist and surgeon is of greater importance in the decision process that your observations.

Yeah, but the reality is that such an injury and level of instability is hardly likely to stand up to the rigours of contact sport (especially rugby) at this level without being a recurrent problem. Will it get demonstrably worse? Maybe, maybe not. But to have it recurrently subluxing or dislocating is going to do the player no benefit long term, nor his confidence and performance in the short term.
I would have thought the hard call should have been made to say "Bad luck, son, but it's just not going to happen".
But this sort of thing happens at many schools, no doubt, and at many levels of sport.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)

It popped out in the days before match. Then fell out during the match. Not last year. Claim the high ground on qualifications if you must as I am going off what I heard from the boy and saw on the day. I'm sure he wanted to go on and wanted to do his best for the team but somewhere between it popping out at training and being put back in on the field the first time someone should have shown some duty of care.

Shore by 10, joeys by 15 and scots by 25. Joeys 5ths by the skin of their teeth!

The Spaceman

Frank Nicholson (4)
As we approach the final game of the first round of GPS competition, we also approach what I think will be one of those weekends that you want to be in three places at once.

Shore v Kings
Set to be an absolute ripper, and harder to pick than a broken nose. I have an inkling that the Kings boys will get up, but by the smallest of margins. A game that will be decided on the bounce of the ball, and who turns up.

Newington v Joey's
After their embarrassing result against Scots, its time for the New boys to aim up and try and scrape a win against a bit of an up and down Joeys side. I really thought it would be closer last weekend between the Hunters Hill boys and Kings, so I feel if the Joey's stars turn up, they'll be able to grab the win. I'm tipping them by around 10 points.

Scots v Riverview
Before last weekend, I was tipping this not only to be the match of the round but the match of the year. I fear that the preseason hype over the View boys has finally caught up to them, as I thought they really felt the pressure last week when they weren't dominating Shore. In saying that however, its not like the Scots boys have felt any pressure this year anyway. Riverview have some seriously good players in their side, who were a little off last week. If the likes of Hutch, Freeman and McGregor get going then there's definitely a least a chance of a win. In saying this, I can't see Scots losing, and I can't see them winning by anything less than 20 points.

In other news a MASSIVE top-of-the-table clash in the 2nd XV comp between Shore and Kings - notoriously big rivals in the 2nds. I'm tipping this to be the game of the round, winner takes all.

Cut Out

Frank Row (1)
On a different topic, can anyone enlighten me to why police were called to the Joeys v View game 2 weeks ago? Still late morning kick-off?

I believe that Joeys work with the Police to help avoid problems of the past. I don't think that there were any problems at the game.

Cut Out

Frank Row (1)
Unfortunately the future options of schoolboy rugby put forward by some in the papers this week show a real lack of understanding about the GPS. The greatest strength of the GPS is that amazingly, week in and week out, fixtures are found for thousands of boys. It is one thing to talk about the First XV, however, what about the other 40 odd games played between two schools on a particular day?

To sit back and observe fixtures between schools where on some days, over 1000 boys from two or three schools converge on one campus and play rugby is just awesome.

It is great that a boy in the 13Hs can firstly get a game and then, at the same venue, watch the First XV later in the day. The suggestions of merging clubs and public schools in with GPS, CAS etc is just not practical. The interest of the schools is to find fixtures for each of their boys and without having them spread across Sydney. Most of the schools in the GPS have significant numbers of boarders and therefore, the competitions that they are in need to be such that almost all the boys are going to the same venue.

And the atmosphere! Apart from Tests and Super Rugby, the GPS competition matches attract much larger crowds and lively atmosphere than any Shute Shield or club game. Why all of a sudden is there a feeling that there are massive problems?

As for safety - if you saw the highlights of the Newington and Scots game, safety was no bigger issue than any other game. In fact, Newington's scrum was probably their strength. Since when does a big score line necessarily mean that there is a safety issue? In fact, one could argue that games like these have less injuries as the contest is far less physical and fewer in number.

It is amazing that the NSWRU are so interested at the moment. I really have no idea what they contribute to GPS rugby yet for years, the number of GPS boys in representative teams is considerably greater than those from other competitions. Now, during an unusual season where high scores have been attained ... now, they want to stick their head in? Please!

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
I believe that Joeys work with the Police to help avoid problems of the past. I don't think that there were any problems at the game.

The police love coming to Joeys-theyhave been for years even when the trouble was on they were there up the back getting a nice lunch from the mums and the paddy wagon was used as a short term holding cell to frighten the stupid young old boys on the grog who were then luckily let out -some of the police are often old boys and their mate cops.They are a credit to the force and it is great that they bother for joeys.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The police are ALWAYS called to the Augustine Street grounds when View tour there. In years past the Cardinal also went, good to have him on hand to give the last rites, etc. Just taking precautions.....:rolleyes:

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
The police are ALWAYS called to the Augustine Street grounds when View tour there. In years past the Cardinal also went, good to have him on hand to give the last rites, etc. Just taking precautions...:rolleyes:

Augustines get the treatment to do they so do probably Oak Hill and Waverly-lets call it what it is then -a Catholic thing. Great stuff this historical tradition.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Um. Duty of care?

Status
Not open for further replies.