• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobia in rugby and other sports (Bingham Cup, Ian Thorpe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
BsdQo96CcAAq3E6.png:large

T

TOCC

You know what, I have absolutely no problem with Thorpie and whether he is gay or not, but my issue (which is not limited purely to this situation) is exploiting something which is a highly emotional topic for a monetary return.

Now Thorpe would have been paid splendidly for this interview, it was built up into some massive event when it shouldn't have been, a persons sexuality shouldn't be a marketing tool, it shouldn't be a prime time interview and it shouldn't be something which is sold to a commercial network.

What standard does this set for other young gay men who are yet to come out, that building up the hype of ones sexualty and announcing it in some major event is the way it should be done, why can't telling someone your gay just be a one on one conversation, it should be a non-event, it shouldn't be publicised for days leading in to generate higher ratings.

I understand Thorpe is a celebrity so he has slightly different obligations in life, but why couldn't Thorpe have done this like many other high profile persons via twitter, Facebook, youtube etc. Everyone either thought he was gay already or had the inclination, so its not like it was a surprise or needed an explanation.

Anyway, thats my rant..

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I quite like it. He turned the status quo (gay athletes losing sponsors and money) on its head by making more by being gay. I don't think the interview was worth much,but it formed part of a $500k package for him to commentate the commonwealth games, which seems like a good fit for him. Though I'm sure half a mil is a drop in the bucket compared to the emotional turmoil he has lived through these past 20 years.

Of course it's a sad indictment on society that a persons sexuality would have any bearing on their earning capacity.

T

Train Without a Station

I find it unbelievable when people talk about how Thorpe was accepted for coming out and saying he was gay, and why didn't he do it sooner? As long as anybody coming out as gay is met with any sort of fanfare like this as opposed to a shrug of the shoulders as if it's not an issue, people will still be intimidated by the prospect.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You know what, I have absolutely no problem with Thorpie and whether he is gay or not, but my issue (which is not limited purely to this situation) is exploiting something which is a highly emotional topic for a monetary return.

Now Thorpe would have been paid splendidly for this interview, it was built up into some massive event when it shouldn't have been, a persons sexuality shouldn't be a marketing tool, it shouldn't be a prime time interview and it shouldn't be something which is sold to a commercial network.

What standard does this set for other young gay men who are yet to come out, that building up the hype of ones sexualty and announcing it in some major event is the way it should be done, why can't telling someone your gay just be a one on one conversation, it should be a non-event, it shouldn't be publicised for days leading in to generate higher ratings.

I understand Thorpe is a celebrity so he has slightly different obligations in life, but why couldn't Thorpe have done this like many other high profile persons via twitter, Facebook, youtube etc. Everyone either thought he was gay already or had the inclination, so its not like it was a surprise or needed an explanation.

Anyway, thats my rant..

Glad you said it. I didn't quite know how to word the same thoughts but you nailed it.

For what it is worth, I know a few gay people who think he is just exploiting the issue.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When should have he come out?
He grew up with a huge media profile,and understandably would have been daunted to address these issues for many years.
I don't care if he turned into a commercial opportunity.
I am disappointed that he chose to deny it when he was flogging his autobiography.
He should have sidestepped the issue entirely.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
How dare Ian reveal his own sexuality at a time of his own choosing and convenience and in a manner that didn't suit everybody's own opinion of when it should have happened.
I mean really he should have more sensitive to our needs and beliefs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
How dare Ian reveal his own sexuality at a time of his own choosing and convenience and in a manner that didn't suit everybody's own opinion of when it should have happened.
I mean really he should have more sensitive to our needs and beliefs.

If I thought his actions were sincere I would agree with you but I don't. I think he is a prim donna looking for a headline by shedding crocodile tears. He has been irrelevant in the national phsych for some time now and that didn't sit well with him.

Why should I be sensitive to his needs and beliefs? If it is all the same I would rather save it for those who I think are genuine.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The cynic in me agrees with Ruggo. He's been a non-entity in terms of publicity for a while, then fronts up just out from the Com Games to drop a silent bombshell.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Thorpe can do what he wants and if someone wants to pay him a large sum of money for an interview, good luck to him.

I do think it's a bit strange that he categorically denied it in a book a couple of years ago but don't see it as a major issue. It wouldn't be the first autobiography to be loose with the truth in one or more areas.

For someone who was hounded about their sexuality from a really young age, certainly well before they actually understood it themself, I think it's pretty understandable that this has been a difficult issue for him to deal with. It's not surprising that it took a long time for him to come to terms with it and set the record straight.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wasn't sure where to put this, politics or club rugby or somewhere else, but I thought it would be interesting for some of you.

A study commissioned by the Bingham Cup organisers found rampant homophobia in sporting clubs. Read more:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/s...s-face-rampant-homophobia-20140715-3bzlm.html

It's a very interesting article and one that from my experience in club land rings pretty true. I can't imagine the courage it would take to explain to your team mates that you are gay.

Also the common use of terms like "gay" in reference to something being lame is a big issue in society. The language needs to change and with it the attitudes on people.

I think Thorpe should be commended for coming out and speaking out about his sexuality. I've never been a huge fan of his public persona but it was an impressive thing to do and provided a role model to other young gay men regarding "coming out''.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Gay means happy don't forget. I don't know when the term was high jacked from that definition.

The language in society that makes my blood boil is when the term spaz or retard gets thrown around in deplorable context.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The language in society that makes my blood boil is when the term spaz or retard gets thrown around in deplorable context.

Absolutely, but I also don't think it's any different to people using gay or fag as a throwaway comment about something. They're not actually saying that thing or person is homosexual but they're certainly not saying it in a positive way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And "Bogan", "houso", "Westie", "Wog", "Lebo", "FOB" etc are used in a positive way?

Some of those terms are racist.

Some are just a pejorative.

Are you really trying to say that calling someone a bogan, a fag or a retard are all alike and just as bad as each other?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely, but I also don't think it's any different to people using gay or fag as a throwaway comment about something. They're not actually saying that thing or person is homosexual but they're certainly not saying it in a positive way.

I certainly agree with that. Too many people speak before they think. I don't think it is always to cause offence, be racist, homophobic, ect. What it is, is always ill conceived. Language has a limited value and only when put into a social context does it reach it's full value.

Status
Not open for further replies.