• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Sio is definitely a chance of NRC. He played club rugby during the June Tests this year, as did Lilo.
This is the Vikings team i have pencilled in so far. Few gaps.
1.Smith
2.Lam
3.Smith
4.Staniforth
6.Smiler
7.Butler
8.Fotu
9.Dowsett
11.Coleman
13.Ah-Wong
15.Mogg
17. Allatoa

Iona at 10 or 12 I'd assume?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given the selections in the last couple of weeks, I think Alan Ala'alatoa is already ahead of JP Smith.

If he's not already then he will be very soon. Huge promise there.

prideandpassion

Stan Wickham (3)
for anybody that watched the major semi final on Saturday would of seen that QBYN 12 Keith Morgan (former aussie schoolboy) has Iona's measure and outplayed him in all aspects. if we want to develop our game in Canberra then these are the players that need to looked at for the NRC to develop them into genuine players, not just first grade run arounds. Canberra should be looking at youth, not just getting non wallabies players to fill the extra spots and give 5 or 6 local players a run isn't what we need in canberra.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Certainly interesting to speculate who will be involved this year. But I understand a lot of guys have already begun to train with this squad? I could be wrong. I've been watching a fair bit this year and I'm not sure what you guys think but based on form and who from the brums is available this is what a team could look like.

1. Smith
2. Lam
3. Allaatoa
4. Staniforth
5. Mckern
6. Smiler
7. Butler
8. Auelua
9. Dowsett
10. Iona (if available)
11. Coleman
12. Hawke
13. Ah Wong
14. Momsen
15. Mogg
16. Bautz/Henry
17. + 18. Makin/McGrath/Penders/Predaud/Taula
19. Clausten/Oakmont-Hunt
20. Cree (if available)/Penca/Perry/Duffy
21. Powell/Campbell-O'brian/Rolando
22. Thompson/Fulivai
23. Connelly/Southwell/Johnstone

I think there's some good depth in the ACT at the moment and certainly a good opportunity for some exposure out of Canberra. I sincerely hope the vikings pick players from Canberra and don't go up and get guys from shute shield or Queensland. Should be interesting anyway.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
for anybody that watched the major semi final on Saturday would of seen that QBYN 12 Keith Morgan (former aussie schoolboy) has Iona's measure and outplayed him in all aspects. if we want to develop our game in Canberra then these are the players that need to looked at for the NRC to develop them into genuine players, not just first grade run arounds. Canberra should be looking at youth, not just getting non wallabies players to fill the extra spots and give 5 or 6 local players a run isn't what we need in canberra.

I completely agree with you on this one. We have a lot of depth ATM with youngsters over the last few years who have made higher honours in OZ Schoolboys teams and U20's combined states or OZ 20's teams. These are the guys that the development coaches should be tracking and watching. They are the future of this side and hopefully the Brumbies over the next few years. I agree that JR is a fabulous player but he may need a little more experience in First grade rugby before NRC just for the pure fact that we don't need these young men getting physically smashed by more mature players and ending up with serious injuries before their physically ready for that next step up. I have heard that they are looking at a small squad of junior players to continue to be developed for NRC over the off season.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
Certainly interesting to speculate who will be involved this year. But I understand a lot of guys have already begun to train with this squad? I could be wrong. I've been watching a fair bit this year and I'm not sure what you guys think but based on form and who from the brums is available this is what a team could look like.

1. Smith
2. Lam
3. Allaatoa
4. Staniforth
5. Mckern
6. Smiler
7. Butler
8. Auelua
9. Dowsett
10. Iona (if available)
11. Coleman
12. Hawke
13. Ah Wong
14. Momsen
15. Mogg
16. Bautz/Henry
17. + 18. Makin/McGrath/Penders/Predaud/Taula
19. Clausten/Oakmont-Hunt
20. Cree (if available)/Penca/Perry/Duffy
21. Powell/Campbell-O'brian/Rolando
22. Thompson/Fulivai
23. Connelly/Southwell/Johnstone

I think there's some good depth in the ACT at the moment and certainly a good opportunity for some exposure out of Canberra. I sincerely hope the vikings pick players from Canberra and don't go up and get guys from shute shield or Queensland. Should be interesting anyway.

Pretty spot on with a lot of those calls i think.
I don't think either Momsen brothers are still in the squad and neither are Mcgrath, Predaud or Connelly. Seems to be limited QBN players considering they knocked off Tuggies last weekend who take up a massive part of the squad, including a few 2nd graders.
Will be interesting to see how things pan out tomorrow

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pretty spot on with a lot of those calls i think.
I don't think either Momsen brothers are still in the squad and neither are Mcgrath, Predaud or Connelly. Seems to be limited QBN players considering they knocked off Tuggies last weekend who take up a massive part of the squad, including a few 2nd graders.
Will be interesting to see how things pan out tomorrow

Yeah I'd say there's quite a few blokes on that list who haven't been training with the squad. From what I understand it's been a bit hard to organise. because everything has had to be done on the fly. Which is to be expected. Those are just guys I've seen play this year who seemed to stand out.

It's not really a surprise that there are a lot of vikings guys given that they've won the last 3 gfs. Also if I'm not mistaken Dan McKeller coached there as well? Having said that though I agree there certainly should be a larger representation from the whites considering they've already secured a spot in the gf. If the side is going to be picked on form it would make sense that a large number of players from the two grand final teams would be selected.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the announcement of the squad. I'm sure there will be some surprises!

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

UC Vikings Squad - 2014
Tight-head props
Ruan Smith (Eastern Suburbs)
Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-Norths Owls)
Les Makin (Queanbeyan Whites)

Hookers
Siliva Siliva (Royals)
Seilala Lam (TBA)
Mitch Wade (TBA)

Loose-head props
JP Smith (Queanbeyan Whites)
Scott Sio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Sione Taula (Tuggeranong Vikings)

Locks
Sam Carter (Royals)
Tom Staniforth (Royals)
Dave McKern (Western Districts Lions)
Gareth Clouston (Tuggeranong Vikings)
(One more TBA)

Blind-side flankers/No.8s
Fotu Auelua (Western Districts Lions)
Tim Cree (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Jordan Smiler (Eastern Suburbs)

Open-side flankers
Jarrad Butler (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Sean Doyle (TBA)
Rowan Perry (Tuggeranong Vikings)

Scrumhalves
Michael Dowsett (Uni-Norths Owls)
Joe Powell (Tuggeranong Vikings)

Fly-halves
Rod Iona (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Isaac Thompson (Tuggeranong Vikings)

Wingers
Henry Speight (Gungahlin Eagles)
Joe Tomane (Uni-Norths Owls)
Jerome Nuimata (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Drew Southwell (Western Districts Lions)
Liam Slater (Royals)

Inside centres
Christian Lealiifano (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Matt Hawke (Gungahlin Eagles)
Pat McCabe (Western Districts Lions)

Outside centres
Nigel Ahwong (TBA)
Jake Rakic (Tuggeranong Vikings)

Fullbacks
Robbie Coleman (Queanbeyan Whites)
Jesse Mogg (Western Districts)
Brendon Taueki (Tuggeranong Vikings)

From their facebook page

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Could be short one No 9? Just in numbers, not in talent. Also depending on availability of Wallabies, LHP and centres could be one short as well. So, a total of 37 made up of 4 allocated Wallabies and 33 others.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Could be short one No 9? Just in numbers, not in talent. Also depending on availability of Wallabies, LHP and centres could be one short as well. So, a total of 37 made up of 4 allocated Wallabies and 33 others.

Potentially one of the spots will be filled by.........

Larkham won't be looking at university players for Super Rugby action until the Arizona program is advanced in the coming years, but it's understood the Canberra Vikings were close to signing a USA Eagles player for the National Rugby Championships.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/brumbies-search-united-states-for-hidden-super-rugby-stars-20140731-zyzgh.html#ixzz397yIvcpK

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When did Lala Lam become a hooker? Hasnt he been playing for Easts in sydney, would this mean a move back to Qbn maybe next yr? Or even Vikings - That is prob 1 position they need depth in.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
When did Lala Lam become a hooker? Hasnt he been playing for Easts in sydney, would this mean a move back to Qbn maybe next yr? Or even Vikings - That is prob 1 position they need depth in.
From the John I Dent thread you asked about Dan Penca on Facebook they said they asked him and he said he wasn't interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.