• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Tis all so shameful that this "up & coming" 34 year old has a place in the NRC. Nothing personal against the man - just a poor piece of rugby admin methinks

Macca, I've got nothing against him either. If he's playing in the NRC to assist the development of younger players then I can probably accept that, but I really can't see how he qualifies to play in the SS finals. Every year I think I understand what the qualification rules are and every year I see some exception which nobody seems able to explain. It would really be nice to have some transparency in club rugby one of these days.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Was able to watch the replay of Warraingah vs Eastwood clash and was stunned when the Rats resorted to uncontested scrums with 20+ minutes to play. Clubs now have an extra reserve and should have no excuse for not having 2 props on the bench.

Brett Papworth has an obvious bias, but I think he hit the nail on the head during the commentary when he suggested that some gamesmenship was taking place. Has anyone ever seen uncontested scrums invoked by a team with a dominant scrum?

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Here is the eligibility rule. Not sure it sheds much light

33.2 A player shall not be eligible to play
in a Finals Series fixture unless:
(a) The player has played with the Club a
minimum of four rounds during the Minor
Premiership series; or
(b) The player has been on
representative duties during the current
season and has played a minimum of two
minor premiership matches in the current
season at the same Club in which he is
seeking eligibility, or has been a registered
player with the club (according to MRA)
without break for the previous two years.
(c) Players playing at an Australian Super
Rugby Franchise that dictates the player
must play in the local competition may
lodge an eligibility appeal.

33.3 A player shall not be eligible to play
in a Finals Series fixture in any grade
lower than the grade in which he has
played the majority of his last seven
matches in the minor premiership.

33.4 If a player does not qualify for a
particular grade under rule 33.3,
dispensation will be granted if the player
has played 60% of his season in the grade
in which he wishes to play. If the player
has been on representative duties as
described in 33.2, he shall be eligible for
Shute Shield, 2nd Grade or 1
st Grade Colts
only, subject to Colts eligibility.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Brett Papworth has an obvious bias, but I think he hit the nail on the head during the commentary when he suggested that some gamesmenship was taking place. Has anyone ever seen uncontested scrums invoked by a team with a dominant scrum?

Yes. The Poms did it in a test match against the Wallabies in Melbourne about 5 or 6 years ago. It happens in club football too but I will acknowledge there is a lot of gamesmanship too. It is difficult area to get the rules right and manage the safety concern. I really liked the previous rule that if you haven't got a suitable prop available, then you get no replacement at all and play a man short.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
The rules still say that you play a man down if you cant replace each front rower once. The issue was that the Rats replaced the LHP once (voluntarily) and then the replacement got injured. So they have abided by the rules.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The rules still say that you play a man down if you cant replace each front rower once. The issue was that the Rats replaced the LHP once (voluntarily) and then the replacement got injured. So they have abided by the rules.

So why didn't they put Richard Southern back on the field if he wasn't injured? I notice he's named in the team again this week.

T

turnovertwopasses

Agreed stacking happens everywhere. A goal for NSWRU should be to find ways to spread the talent and look after our great game.

Up the Tahs on Saturday. Think I'm in for a big one if they get up.

T

turnovertwopasses

Going to try and get to the randwick semi and the rebels game too- cant wait for the weekend, finals footy upset time !!

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Really which teams did some stacking?
Really DB your post is refreshingly generous - it's like true believers in class warfare . There are at least 3 clubs represented in finals whose prospects of some silver ware at best lie in 3's and 4's and I exclude Gordon in that observation . Their attitude is mediocre .

T

turnovertwopasses

Waughy on the rugby club was good to see tonight. He and I had some tough battles. Made me realise how many great blokes and players we've had over the years at Tah land. Hope they get it done on Saturday night.
Wheres everyone watching it?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Really DB your post is refreshingly generous - it's like true believers in class warfare . There are at least 3 clubs represented in finals whose prospects of some silver ware at best lie in 3's and 4's and I exclude Gordon in that observation . Their attitude is mediocre .
Wests round 1 and West round 2 had different score lines

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Player Points apply to 1st Grade (100) and 2nd Grade (60) only, and we all know what a success that is.

Whatever eligibility criteria is established to ensure the playing field is as level as possible, if a team/club/coach is going to stack a team in order to win a lower grade premiership, they will find a way around that criteria.

Never underestimate the deviousness of self interest. All animals are created equal but some are more equal than others.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Player Points apply to 1st Grade (100) and 2nd Grade (60) only, and we all know what a success that is.

Whatever eligibility criteria is established to ensure the playing field is as level as possible, if a team/club/coach is going to stack a team in order to win a lower grade premiership, they will find a way around that criteria.

Never underestimate the deviousness of self interest. All animals are created equal but some are more equal than others.

I think it was Paul Keating who said that you should always back self interest in a race as you'll always know that it's trying to win ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.