• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Well he has a contract of some description. I was told this year that he was signed in some capacity. Whether that was an eps contract for 2014 or a full squad one for next year, I am not sure.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks a prop short, would be surprised in the main squad only has 4 props.

I'd guess that the main squad + wider squad would have 6 - 7 props in total, 5 of which would be in the main squad.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We look a bit short on props. One thing you can say with the Reds props is that Holmes and Slipper are proficient on both sides of the scrum.

frenchman

Bob McCowan (2)
There are two excellent young Aussie 20s props there in Paraka and Kite i don't see why they don't just sign them both and then under holmes and slipper they should develop really well you would imagine, yes both very young but both very big boys who impressed for the Reds A last year i thought.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Kite - #3.
Paraka - #1.

Those are the respective positions both play for club footy.

So I imagine those are the sides both feel most comfortable with.

I think that's a good sign for the Reds.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
In 2015 I heard the squad's were to be 32 man. Is this correct? If so, there are a few positions open considering the previous posts here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In 2015 I heard the squad's were to be 32 man. Is this correct? If so, there are a few positions open considering the previous posts here.

I think that is correct.

They're ditching the EPS but increasing squad size to 32.

I think there will still be wider training squads.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
BTW quirk is not attached to a Qld NRC team - so either he is out injured like Daley - or he's gonnnnne

His injury is the more likely reason. Harris is gone for next season but is playing for QLD Country so I wouldn't read too much into NRC selections to work out who will be on the Reds books in 2015.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've heard from a number of boys in the squad that 15/16 players are leaving. If that figure is accurate then it's certainly not good.

Having watched Butler over the past month or so has made me realise what a big loss he is. Reckon he will continue to develop into a very good loosie. Thinking Placid will fall into that boat as well once he gets some game time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blair Connor given another shot. The kid was electric. He has some experience under his belt now.... could well be worth the punt.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I'm not expecting a full squad be announced at the end if the month. I think they'll leave a few (not many) spots open to see who steps up during the NRC!

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I wonder how the full and thorough review is going?

The NRC support structures are stacked with the inner circle so I doubt there will be any changes or progress.

I know Graham wouldn't sack himself, but how could any review of they teams overall performance and defence then turn around and say he is remotely qualified to be involved.

Likewise injuries were the number one excuse used all year, yet there won't be any changes to the overall coaching staff in terms of program management or the physical preparation staff.

Some sort of movement would suggest that they are at least paying attention. An unchanged structure suggests a head in the sand mentality.

Teams need to be proactive. I always come back to the difference between the Force and the Reds in terms of Physical preparation staff hires.

Marsh left the Reds and Richardson and his band of interns got the gig. No search, not even a process for "show". Under-qualified coaches were used to fill gaps as they were cheap, while some very qualified coaches around the traps don't get a look in.

The Force on the other hand had their #1 S&C guy leave a few years back. Their #2 was incredibly well regarded and qualified. Everyone thought he'd walk into the role.

Instead, a search brought over a coach from England, keeping the #2 in the #2 role despite being one of the most qualified in the entire country.

That wasn't enough though and they went and got David Joyce back from Europe to head up an entire program. So a guy who would rightly head up any program anywhere was sitting at #3.

At the Reds our head coach is employed because his best mate sits on the board. Our physical prep staff are there because they work cheap. We don't have a single staff member in that core 5-6 who'd get a run with the Force in their current set up.

I've always used that as a metric for players, but it applies to coaches too.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
While we're on S&C thought Dave Dennis's comments on the latest GAGR podcast with re to the S&C program they bought from Stamford Uni we're interesting. The TAHS this year seem to have had a relatively injury free year (besides DD..)

Would be good to see something similar at the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.