• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Having watched Easts the whole season (and that was hardly enjoyable), it is a bit galling to watch non-Easts/Wicks club players running around for the NRC team those two clubs are meant to feed. But I am only talking a small number of spots, in fact 2 or 3. I'll still support the Eagles.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There are two things I don't like about the squad. The first is players (non-super rugby players) from other clubs who didn't get picked in their NRC team (eg Weekes, Miller from Norths) getting selected just because they might have come from the country.

Couldn't disagree more if you paid me.

This is a Country team

They shouldn't be picked ahead of Randwick or Easts players - what is the point of Easts or Randwick being associated with NSW Country if their SS players don't get picked? The second is why some older players are there (eg Treloar). Otherwise, looks like a decent team.

Randwick and Easts are in an informal association only. Are they paying the bills? The answer is no.

Randwick were always relunctant to be involved in this competition unless they had their own team. Well, good luck. They can bid again next year...

Re: Older players - this is not an U20 comp. If the older guys are playing the strongest, they should be in. The newcomers need to learn by playing against (and with) hardened players. They should earn their spots.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

This is a Country team

Randwick and Easts are in an informal association only. Are they paying the bills? The answer is no.

Randwick were always relunctant to be involved in this competition unless they had their own team. Well, good luck. They can bid again next year.

Re: Older players - this is not an U20 comp. If the older guys are playing the strongest, they should be in. The newcomers need to learn by playing against (and with) hardened players. They should earn their spots.

Thanks, you've answered my question - there is no point in Easts or Randwick being associated in any way, whether informally, formally, tightly, loosely, weakly or strongly with NSW Country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks, you've answered my question - there is no point in Easts or Randwick being associated in any way, whether informally, formally, tightly, loosely, weakly or strongly with NSW Country.

Why not?

There are plenty of Easts and Randwick players are in the squad.

I think people are being petty and ridiculous focusing on the NRC being a rep team from a couple of clubs rather than being a new tier between club rugby and Super Rugby which Australian Rugby greatly needs.

It's pretty pathetic really. This theme is running pretty strongly through several of the Sydney teams in particular.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If they are better players than yes, they should. That is the whole point of this. Inferior Easts or Randwicks players getting picked over superior players who are not in other teams would be a bigger issue.

This political bullshit is what has hamstrung rugby for so long. Pick the best players providing there aren't any logistical or financial issues.

Not just on this thread, but across other NRC team threads there is a bit of bleating about players missing out, similar to when schoolboy rep teams are announced.

Those players that missed out will just have to try harder, stay fit, uninjured, and hope that the Selectors look on them more favourably next time. No amount of whinging will change things now,

The selectors have chosen their squads. The Bandwagon is parked outside the stadium. Get on it.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I've noticed the same theme in the other NRC forums. It's quite natural to want to support the NRC team to which your SS club may be aligned. That's the sort of tribalism required for the NRC to succeed, especially if you don't come from NSW country. It's not petty or pathetic. I've got no problem with any of the team except for those Norths players. I suppose if you are from the country and follow Randwick or Easts, you don't care one way or the other.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Not just on this thread, but across other NRC team threads there is a bit of bleating about players missing out, similar to when schoolboy rep teams are announced.

Those players that missed out will just have to try harder, stay fit, uninjured, and hope that the Selectors look on them more favourably next time. No amount of whinging will change things now,

The selectors have chosen their squads. The Bandwagon is parked outside the stadium. Get on it.

Enough bleating, I'm on the bandwagon now.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

This is a Country team

Randwick were always relunctant to be involved in this competition unless they had their own team. Well, good luck. They can bid again next year.

Agree with your notion that Randwick should bid again next year & was reluctantly involved in this - the selections sure underscore the status of the relationship and your observations. Time to stop the pre tense - there is nothing in this for Randwick so they should withdraw IMO.
Bye the way - I think some of the Wicks players should have been in on form anyway. I think the Randwick boys have kicked the arse of some of those that got picked before them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've noticed the same theme in the other NRC forums. It's quite natural to want to support the NRC team to which your SS club may be aligned. That's the sort of tribalism required for the NRC to succeed, especially if you don't come from NSW country. It's not petty or pathetic. I've got no problem with any of the team except for those Norths players. I suppose if you are from the country and follow Randwick or Easts, you don't care one way or the other.

Why do you have problems with the Norths players?

There is a player from Eastwood, a player from the Brumbies, a player from Warringah etc.

It seems to me that petty tribalism is more likely to be what causes the NRC to fail rather than succeed.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

POLITICS !! who said you had to run for Parliament to get involved in that filthy game:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree with your notion that Randwick should bid again next year & was reluctantly involved in this - the selections sure underscore the status of the relationship and your observations. Time to stop the pre tense - there is nothing in this for Randwick so they should withdraw IMO.
Bye the way - I think some of the Wicks players should have been in on form anyway. I think the Randwick boys have kicked the arse of some of those that got picked before them.

What about all the Randwick players who have been included?

Isn't that something?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd presume most, if not all, of the extended squad are Easts/Randwick due to them likely receiving minimal compensation for travel, so they'll go local.

So, when injuries hit (and they'll hit) guys will get a crack. They always do.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What about all the Randwick players who have been included?

Isn't that something?

Yep. Better than zip. Perhaps the criteria may have been better communicated which might have managed expectations better.
Like others have said, enough bleating. I till feel for some of the players who should have been picked. Where is that bandwagon?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I'd presume most, if not all, of the extended squad are Easts/Randwick due to them likely receiving minimal compensation for travel, so they'll go local.

So, when injuries hit (and they'll hit) guys will get a crack. They always do.

what extended squad?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Yep. Better than zip. Perhaps the criteria may have been better communicated which might have managed expectations better.
Like others have said, enough bleating. I till feel for some of the players who should have been picked. Where is that bandwagon?

Here

image.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed what's in it for the aligned clubs is it's a chance to remain relevant as the Shute shield falls further down the chain

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I suppose I was expecting an Anton La Vin/ Damon Anderson over Malakai Watene-Zelezniak or Misieli Sinoti but again Easts form has been pretty bloody average.

La Vin was not available and I thought Anderson was injured and missed last few rounds.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
what extended squad?

All the teams have informal extended squads. Basically, the guys that are currently holding the hit shields and being bodies in the opposed team runs.

Time will tell how many of these guys get a run, but I imagine plenty will. Specially in key positions where you're often only 1 or 2 injuries away from having to call someone up.

In fact, a couple of the NRC squads have chosen not to name a full 33 and instead have named 30 or 31 man squads, with a few players battling to be named in the last 'official' spots as the season progresses.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know Douglas has been named but has it been confirmed he'll play and not go to Leinster straight away?

Status
Not open for further replies.