• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was Paul Keating that made it "famous" but he was quoting his mentor, Jack Lang: ''In the race of life, always back self-interest - at least you know it's trying''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ationalists-20121002-26xak.html#ixzz396KXfscA

Plenty of examples of the Lang philosophy in School and Junior sport.

Edit: As confirmed by @I Like To Watch above (beat me to it).

@Boyo. Avatar change happening when the draught is broken. Any hour now.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Really DB your post is refreshingly generous - it's like true believers in class warfare . There are at least 3 clubs represented in finals whose prospects of some silver ware at best lie in 3's and 4's and I exclude Gordon in that observation . Their attitude is mediocre .

I'm not sure I understand Bomber? What leads you to believe Gordon's attitude is mediocre? Because 3s and 4s didn't make finals this year? There is a difference between attitude and competitiveness.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not sure I understand Bomber? What leads you to believe Gordon's attitude is mediocre? Because 3s and 4s didn't make finals this year? There is a difference between attitude and competitiveness.
Apologies for mispost - Senior , poor expression on my part - apologies. I was excluding Gordon from the mediocre ambitions. Highlanders results in the back end of season and standing of 2's bespeaks a mindset which cannot be lightly dismissed . Good luck

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
It was Paul Keating that made it "famous" but he was quoting his mentor, Jack Lang: ''In the race of life, always back self-interest - at least you know it's trying''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ationalists-20121002-26xak.html#ixzz396KXfscA

Plenty of examples of the Lang philosophy in School and Junior sport.

Edit: As confirmed by @I Like To Watch above (beat me to it).

@Boyo. Avatar change happening when the draught is broken. Any hour now.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Apologies for mispost - Senior , poor expression on my part - apologies. I was excluding Gordon from the mediocre ambitions. Highlanders results in the back end of season and standing of 2's bespeaks a mindset which cannot be lightly dismissed . Good luck

I'm glad there was a correction I was about to do my best Pauline impersonation...."Please explain?" ;)

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
The eligibility rules are so easy to bend & every club does it. Either to lower their points value in 1s or 2s as "reserves" don't accrue points towards the team total if they've started a grade lower that day. Every club does it, year after year you see blokes run on, then get subbed after 2 mins. And in theory you'd only have to do it 4 times in the last 7 rounds to get a player to qualify.
An example of beating the points lies in round 13 where Northam & Treweek played 4th grade for Manly against Parra (both clearly a higher standard of player) to then come off the bench in 2s & not accrue points to the team total. Purely an example & not to pick on Manly because every club with finals spots does it

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Currently I dont think Manly can be beaten if they are firing - but saying that how many Super Rugby Players will Sydney Uni get back? Or will they go straight into training for the NRC sides?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm sure some of us celebrated long and hard last night. Firstly, well done Waratahs!! Saw the clash down to Rat Park yesterday and what a game of footy it was. Rats were at their counter attack best including one long range try 80 metres out from their own line.

Although, The Students showed some guts and determination to take this game. Having lost Angus Roberts & Jim Stewart early in the game as well as Jock Merriman, Jake Gordon and Michael Hodge carrying injuries. We were going down like flies at one point students had up to 4-5 cattle down for injury after a great team try.

Warringah were winning all the 50/50 referring decisions and one lead to Talakai being binned with 20 minutes remaining. Rats then scored and took the game to 7 points in front with 10 minutes remaining.

They managed to get back into the game as Jock Merriman went over with 3 minutes remaining to seal the points. Gutsy performance from a young side however the injury toll could hurt them next week.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can some genius tell me what next week's games will be, under either scenario, an Eastwood win, or a Southern win?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Manly vs Highest ranked loser (4th Warringah or 2nd Eastwood if they lose today)

Uni vs Winner of (Eastwood v Souths)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Currently I dont think Manly can be beaten if they are firing - but saying that how many Super Rugby Players will Sydney Uni get back? Or will they go straight into training for the NRC sides?

Don't think they will get any back.

T

turnovertwopasses

Not the best day for it here at TG Milner, particularly if you are as hungover as I after the Tahs win. Woods down by 5 at the moment great game so far

Status
Not open for further replies.