• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Thoughts on the NSW Schools 16's team everyone?

Were there any players chosen in the Opens Aust Schoolboys team and U16s NSW team? Goddard? Will he be replaced now?

Is a shadow team normally announced or is just for the Selectors eyes only?

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Were there any players chosen in the Opens Aust Schoolboys team and U16s NSW team? Goddard? Will he be replaced now?

Is a shadow team normally announced or is just for the Selectors eyes only?

There's no set rule that Goddard must pull out of the NSW u16 schools (or be replaced) the decision to withdraw lies with the player. However, over the years players picked for Australian Schools have normally withdrawn from the 16's programme due to the clash of dates and training etc.

NSW no12 Lough was exceptional this week and was another NSWSRU u16 unlucky not to get the call up to Aust schools. Might still get a spot if injuries occur between now and the October school holidays when the Australian schools fly to NZ for their tour.

Shadows normally aren't publicised for NSWSRU U16's.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the inclusion of the wests team in the Oct carnival I've heard that there has been a quite a few changes in the presidents 15. Does anyone have the goss on player changes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
With the inclusion of the wests team in the Oct carnival I've heard that there has been a quite a few changes in the presidents 15. Does anyone have the goss on player changes.
The 4 Zone teams have been whittled down to 3 teams.
What is the rationale behind this? Is this all to cover up the fact that the ARU (justifiably) spat the dummy at the self interested defence of SJRU fiefdoms?
Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 5.27.48 am.png

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Pres XV lose 10 MWZ kids.
MWZ being head & shoulders above the other zones.
How will Pres XV be competitive in those circumstances? Sydney drew 10 all with country and with the MWZ boys in the Pres XV would have been a chance to beat the Sydney team.
I get the feeling this is all being done just to prove that MWZ were dudded in Syndey selections. Which they were.
More chess games with children for the gratification of their parents.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
How will Pres XV be competitive in those circumstances? Sydney drew 10 all with country and with the MWZ boys in the Pres XV would have been a chance to beat the Sydney team.
I get the feeling this is all being done just to prove that MWZ were dudded in Syndey selections. Which they were.

Well said IS. I think the Western zone invitational side will put on quite a performance come October. Presidents won't be playing against the other u16's sides according at least to the last info I saw.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think the Pres 15 are playing the Sydney or schools teams. What standard will the West team be when they have lost close to a whole team to Sydney and Schools? It does get a bunch of boys in front of the clipboards one last time but without the other states involved its going to be difficult to motivate a bunch of tired boys in the heat of October. Great for the country boys who have had a great program this year

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is that the revised Presidents XV posted at #166?

The 4 Zone teams have been whittled down to 3?

Not sure that is the case. The latest incarnation has NSW Schools (they are mostly from metro), Sydney Juniors, Western Development XV, and Presidents XV (playing in the Under 15's section of the invitational). That is 4 teams.

The U16 section of the October Long Weekend Festival of Rugby seems to be hauntingly familiar to the NSW JRU/SJRU Regional tournament. Almost rinse and repeat, just change some jumpers around, reassign some team names and have the same boys play each other again.

Brisbane JRU can raise U15 and U17 teams and that is good, but where are their U16's?

Is it for logistical reasons that no interstate teams are attending the U16 division? No ACT or Vic 16's? What about a Lloyd McDermott U16's? Is the date too late with most kids focused on summer sport by early October?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think the Pres 15 are playing the Sydney or schools teams. What standard will the West team be when they have lost close to a whole team to Sydney and Schools? It does get a bunch of boys in front of the clipboards one last time but without the other states involved its going to be difficult to motivate a bunch of tired boys in the heat of October. Great for the country boys who have had a great program this year

As usual you have identified something I overlooked.
So Pres XV will play some U15s kids and a Western Zone selection.
Is there some point to this?
And when you say in front of the clipboards one last time - why would there be clipboards there? These games don't lead anywhere and from this point on for many/most boys selections take place within school systems. They aren't the same clipboards and they're not appointed until the beginning of the next season.
Almost rinse and repeat, just change some jumpers around, reassign some team names and have the same boys play each other again.

I was being polite - but I can understand that would not have been something you immediately associated with a post of mine
:p

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is that the revised Presidents XV posted at #166?

The 4 Zone teams have been whittled down to 3?

Not sure that is the case. The latest incarnation has NSW Schools (they are mostly from metro), Sydney Juniors, Western Development XV, and Presidents XV (playing in the Under 15's section of the invitational). That is 4 teams.

The U16 section of the October Long Weekend Festival of Rugby seems to be hauntingly familiar to the NSW JRU/SJRU Regional tournament. Almost rinse and repeat, just change some jumpers around, reassign some team names and have the same boys play each other again.

Brisbane JRU can raise U15 and U17 teams and that is good, but where are their U16's?

Is it for logistical reasons that no interstate teams are attending the U16 division? No ACT or Vic 16's? What about a Lloyd McDermott U16's? Is the date too late with most kids focused on summer sport by early October?
I'm guesing HJ that the interstate teams are putting their energy into the ARU gold cup for the 17s group. Makes sense . They have seen all their boys a few times so dont need the comp . The 15s age allows them to see boys maybe for the first time at this level so fits inwith their selection program

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
We
As usual you have identified something I overlooked.
So Pres XV will play some U15s kids and a Western Zone selection.
Is there some point to this?
And when you say in front of the clipboards one last time - why would there be clipboards there? These games don't lead anywhere and from this point on for many/most boys selections take place within school systems. They aren't the same clipboards and they're not appointed until the beginning of the next season.

I was being polite - but I can understand that would not have been something you immediately associated with a post of mine
:p
...IS It's presidents that will be playing the u15's not western Zone

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Under 16 component of the October Long Weekend Festival all seems a little haphazard and doesn't really seem to dovetail in with any component of "The Pathway".

I hope it is a success and that next years version is an improvement on this years model, because it all seems a little ad-hoc and reactionary.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
We
.IS It's presidents that will be playing the u15's not western Zone

My understanding of the October long weekend comp is that there will be four teams playing Nsw CJRU,Nsw Schools, Sydney City and Western zone invitational squad ... Presidents will play Nsw U15.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps the 2015 version of the Invitational should be NRC Franchise based, leaving SJRU/NSW JRU/NSWRU the responsibility to coordinate the tournament. Leave others the task of selecting and running the teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My understanding of the October long weekend comp is that there will be four teams playing Nsw CJRU,Nsw Schools, Sydney City and Western zone invitational squad . Presidents will play Nsw U15.

A farce.
Why would MWZ be permitted to secede and then play in a tournament that Pres XV were never considered for?
Talk about trying to silence your critics by pandering to them.
Thank god this is behind me.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)

You're pretty much on the money IS but I would add their will be some gratification for the players as well.

The western Sydney invitational team was a result of the farce that was the Sydney selections. Geoff Ferris is to be congratulated for making a stand and driving their inclusion.

The city/country result suggests the selectors got it wrong and hopefully the performance of west Sydney will put it beyond doubt.

I think they will be very competitive (having lost only the 5 players to Sydney) with a strong pack and the best back thereof all the teams. The biggest problem is replacing 10-13.

Perhaps with a bit of egg on their faces the selectors might look a bit closer at actual performance in future.

Finally it's my understanding it will also be a replacement for the JGC trials for West and North West Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.