• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why do you have problems with the Norths players?

There is a player from Eastwood, a player from the Brumbies, a player from Warringah etc.

It seems to me that petty tribalism is more likely to be what causes the NRC to fail rather than succeed.

If the tribalism is centred around any particular premier comp team, then the NRC organisation will probably disintegrate within the first year for want of crowds at the games. But if it can be channeled into the NRC team regardless of the origin of the players, we should see a viable competition developing with good support for the teams.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
You need a bit of both - if you are from the country no problems, but equally crowds should come from those who support the affiliated clubs.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Tom Connor, Will Munro and Jesse Harris unlucky to miss out

I don't think so.
Don't confuse potential or effort with outcome and results.
These guys were regularly outplayed individually and as members of their club team during the Shute Shield season.
How and why will they step up successfully to a higher level of competition in the NRC?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I don't think so.
These guys were regularly outplayed individually and as members of their club team during the Shute Shield season.
How and why will they step up successfully to a higher level of competition in the NRC?

I dont agree.
Randwick's defensive effort was the 3rd best in the Comp & they were a huge part of that.
Manly were the only side that comprehensively beat the Wicks & yes they were outplayed by Manly.
Randwick lost 5 games by 5 points or less which hardly suggests they were regularly outplayed and the team did finish 6th. Other teams below that actually had more players selected.
Whether they step up or not wont be known until the opportunity presents. One of the goals of the NRC is to see how players fare when they are playing with other better combinations so those lads may learn more and play at a higher level when they are with a better mix of players.
How would the Wicks have fared with a few more big boppers in the Pack? These boys might also look like champions if they had a Greg Peterson next to them.
I do think they have a bit to learn and can identify areas of their games that need improvement however can probably find that in many NRC selections.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with your notion that Randwick should bid again next year & was reluctantly involved in this - the selections sure underscore the status of the relationship and your observations. Time to stop the pre tense - there is nothing in this for Randwick so they should withdraw IMO.
Bye the way - I think some of the Wicks players should have been in on form anyway. I think the Randwick boys have kicked the arse of some of those that got picked before them.

How on earth is a stand alone Randwick side going to compete with Super Rugby strength NRC teams from Canberra, Perth, Melbourne and combo teams featuring the pick of the bunch from their respective SS club/s? Even with Hoilesy, Carraro, etc this would be tough.

With all due respect - a young, keen Randwick 1st grade side got destroyed up front by a powerful Manly team on Saturday, missing several of their rep players floating in Super Rugby extended playing squads, etc like Jordy Reid, etc.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Randwick Shute sheild team and NRC team would be worlds apart as the NRC team would be able to get players from all over to compliment the roster.
Management/Coaching of NRC team could come from existing structures.
Thats For the future.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
^^So a Randwick NRC side would not reflect their SS side as players would be selected from other sides. The difference to what happens now is........

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
How on earth is a stand alone Randwick side going to compete with Super Rugby strength NRC teams from Canberra, Perth, Melbourne and combo teams featuring the pick of the bunch from their respective SS club/s? Even with Hoilesy, Carraro, etc this would be tough.

With all due respect - a young, keen Randwick 1st grade side got destroyed up front by a powerful Manly team on Saturday, missing several of their rep players floating in Super Rugby extended playing squads, etc like Jordy Reid, etc.
I agree. The wicks in current shape would not be appropriate for the NRC. If the country eagles can start a team from scratch so could the wicks if they so desired.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
ok Country Eagles fans, 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know when the memberships will come live on the Country Website. Have been checking for a good few weeks now with no luck?

2. Checking the website again this morning and the facebook page, and noticed that a development squad is due to be announced some time in the next few days. Can anyone shed any light. Is this likely to be a 'B' style team, or is it a colts team? Any ideas or information out there?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think so.
In light of some of the other squad members picked from colts, bush, overseas I think these players are unlucky. Got to remember randwick were a top 6 team in SS and these are the three best forwards imo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In light of some of the other squad members picked from colts, bush, overseas I think these players are unlucky. Got to remember randwick were a top 6 team in SS and these are the three best forwards imo.

Connor maybe because there isn't really a 7 being parachuted in from the Tahs.

Hoiles and Chapman are in as a 6 and a lock and the backrow is further bolstered by Tala Gray and Ita Vaea who are both number 8s.

T

Train Without a Station

Can't help but feel it's a shame for Aus Rugby that Tala Grey and Vaea are both in the same NRC team, and therefore will have their time at 8 limited in some way. Even more of a shame that they are in the same team as a test capped number 8.

Considering there is only 4 wallaby capped number 8's playing currently in Australia (Palu, McCalman, Hoiles & Higginbotham), it's just unfortunate that 2 of the best young prospects are in the same team as well as one of those 4.

Hopefully over a few years these anomalies are evened out through natural market forces. Plus in this case Vaea being on the comeback from two years out would have certainly limited his appeal to other teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From what I've heard from Vaea's return to JID Cup, he could only be up to limited minutes and not really up to it yet. Obviously it's very early days for him.

I'm really hoping Gray shines in the NRC. As an Easts fan, I watched him play a fair bit before he went to France and thought he had huge promise. Obviously this season was incredible for the Tahs but in another year he could have played plenty of games (because he didn't get injured at the start of the year and Palu spent half the year out injured).

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)

Hoiles and Chapman are in as a 6 and a lock and the backrow is further bolstered by Tala Gray and Ita Vaea who are both number 8s.

Tala Gray played a bit at 7 in France, and I reckon Chapman might be playing more at lock. Odds are we'll see Chapman, Hoiles, Gray and Vaea all in the starting side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tala Gray played a bit at 7 in France, and I reckon Chapman might be playing more at lock. Odds are we'll see Chapman, Hoiles, Gray and Vaea all in the starting side.
Agreed re Chapman. Definitely a lock in this side and I had him instead of Harris who was suggested as a Randwick player unlucky to miss out.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I hear you and wasnt suggesting those guys to start, more meaning originally I would have all three ahead of croke but with the calibre mentioned probably only room enough for 1.

I think that Ita Vaea is a far better player then Tala Gray also.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think that Ita Vaea is a far better player then Tala Gray also.

How could you possibly say that about 2014 Vaea? He's an unknown quantity at best, and a mess conditioning-wise at worse.

Being named in the NRC is the start of a slow climb back for him. Good luck, I hope he outshines the player he was (a good one at that).

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How could you possibly say that about 2014 Vaea? He's an unknown quantity at best, and a mess conditioning-wise at worse.

Being named in the NRC is the start of a slow climb back for him. Good luck, I hope he outshines the player he was (a good one at that).
yes referring to the player he was, no reason he cant be that again

Status
Not open for further replies.