• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not just about a Wallabies kicking coach, it's the whole culture of goal kickers here. They're not appreciated like they are in SA or Europe.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
This has got to improve before the World Cup

Bt2R3l8CEAA3k4B.jpg:large
The goal kicking site in SA which ranks individual kicks did a rating based on distance kickers in SuperXV and Nic White based on difficulty and distance was ranked second behind Francois Steyn. White was shown as kicking at 75% for all kicks despite taking plenty of long range difficult kicks during the course of the season

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The goal kicking site in SA which ranks individual kicks did a rating based on distance kickers in SuperXV and Nic White based on difficulty and distance was ranked second behind Francois Steyn. White was shown as kicking at 75% for all kicks despite taking plenty of long range difficult kicks during the course of the season
Yeah he does well for a guy who only really kicks from 40 plus

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Any news on TPN's injury? my first impression was he looks touch and go to play in the bledisloe

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully it is not serious for TPN. He had another great game up until he was injured. He is a pretty tough nut.
Big push from Phipps and Beale for starting spots in the Bled. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) demanding consideration at 13 as well.
The Super rugby final should give us a lot of confidence going into the RC and the Bled tests.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the big question is now this: do the big match performances of Phipps, Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) demand Link to change from the tested combinations?

Our lack of wing depth means that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) probably has to end up there, as the next 13 in line is way better than the next winger. Beale is still probably just behind To'omua, especially in the physicality stakes.

But Phipps? He might just have done enough. It is very close indeed, nice to have two top choices at 9.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The full-back for the Wallaroos is a better kicker than some of the men.
Ash Hewson was sensational. Her touch finder from about 35m out that found touch 10m out was brilliant. Comfortably kicked goals from 40m.

Her ability in general play was probably better than that. So reliable as the last line of defence.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My thoughts after watching the game on televsion. Firstly, all the Waratahs backs played about as well as you would like to see them. Folau was probably the exception, the Wobbs need to find ways to get him some room to fire up a bit.

Palu and Hooper were immense, I hope they are not burnt out from the minutes they have played already.

If TPN is out, we need to replace him with another hooker who can run the ball like he can. That is not Nathan Charles, IMHO.

Skelton is just a boy. A big strong boy, for sure, but he really needs to learn a lot more before he can be classed as an international lock.

We need a kicker to back Foley up (on the assumption that he will be the first choice kicker), particularly one who can attempt a long range penalty. Maybe that means White should start?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Where to play Beale is a conundrum for you guys.
2nd five is a problem because Nonu will run at him all day.

I think one of the key positives for the Wallabies is the continued development of Foley.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
But when speight is available could we shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13? The man is just a marvel, but his ability to read the play in front of him and pick the correct runner to defend in the difficult 13 channel is peerless, only Conrad Smith is his equal. Plus on attack he loses some of his ability to run lines.

He's all class and he's a better 13 the Tevita.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Last night's game did not make me think that Beale should be in the starting side. His defense was poor at times.

If TPN is out, I'd go with Hansen

T

Train Without a Station

Personally I don't think any Waratahs enhanced their reputation on last nights performance alone except perhaps Hooper and Palu. They all played well in close to test match conditions though. I'd be confident with any squad member being capable at the next level.

I personally don't think Skelton showed he is out 3rd best lock, or offers exceptional physicality. But he showed he held his own.

Foley's kicking was good but still wouldn't be confident with him taking a difficult shot to win a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.