• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders 2014 Super Rugby Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still think that the comp would be better served with an EPL style ladder with the log leader at the end declared the winner. No playoffs.

I think the first past the post system works well when you've got a big competition with a lot of games and everyone has played each other home and away.

After 38 regular season games I agree that the EPL is best decided by first past the post. I don't think that's the best option in most competitions though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I think the first past the post system works well when you've got a big competition with a lot of games and everyone has played each other home and away.

After 38 regular season games I agree that the EPL is best decided by first past the post. I don't think that's the best option in most competitions though.
I think if super rugby had 38 rounds the winner would be last one standing..

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hence why I'm not suggesting it should be the way any rugby tournament is decided.

Don't worry I agree with you, just thought it'd be a funny situation.

Well done Waratahs the better team on the day and throughout the competition won. Still think that the comp would be better served with an EPL style ladder with the log leader at the end declared the winner. No playoffs.

Probably difficult to win that argument when we have just had the best final I can remember.

Interestingly since 2000, only one team that wasn't the minor premier has won the cup. So I think the current format is pretty well on the money.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Don't worry I agree with you, just thought it'd be a funny situation.

Interestingly since 2000, only one team that wasn't the minor premier has won the cup. So I think the current format is pretty well on the money.

Two - Bulls 07, Chiefs 12.

Though only the Bulls won away, the Chiefs benefited by someone else knocking off the top dog.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A first past the post system just means the comp ends up being about 3 or 4 teams past week 6 or 7. All the other teams are essentially passing time once it's clear they aren't going to top the table.

The current system means that even in the final round there are normally 8 or 9 teams still with something to play for, which just makes for better rugby all round.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The English soccer has always had a first past the post element in its home and away competitions. However, they also have two important Cup competitions, which end up in finals.

Australians are well used to the notion of a finals series. If the Soup did not have a finals series it would be laughed off the court, so to speak.

Plus, just in case anybody has missed the fact, the finals matches are usually by far the most popular. It ain't broke, chaps, so don't bother trying to find a solution to a non-existent problem.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
In regards to championship merch, I want a DVD of the Tahs season and signed commemorative stuff for the wall. Preferably a signed jersey.

Contacted Canterbury and they said no commemorative apparel planned other than the cap and polo shirt.

Although I asked the Playbill merchandising van at Martin Place today and they reckon commemorative items are still on the cards, but months away. :(

Not sure what the point would be to release items months after the event as the afterglow of the win will have faded.

Would a DVD set be hard to produce? Splice together the Tahs highlights from Super Rugby Extra Time on one disc and the full Final and post match celebrations on another disc. Maybe some extras in the form of interviews etc. Perhaps it's hard to get clearances to do this from Fox.

I guess we'll see.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Jaysus, even the fucking local under 10's have the nous to be able to get celebratory t shirts made up when jnr wins the GF.
I'm surprised that Jason Allen didn't fuck up the ground booking last Saturday.
I'm almost certain if it was left up to him,the game would have been played out the front of Moore Park,near the duck pond.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A first past the post system just means the comp ends up being about 3 or 4 teams past week 6 or 7. All the other teams are essentially passing time once it's clear they aren't going to top the table..

Plus there is no promotion and relegation in Super Rugby. Well, unless you're South African ;)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jaysus, even the fucking local under 10's have the nous to be able to get celebratory t shirts made up when jnr wins the GF.
I'm surprised that Jason Allen didn't fuck up the ground booking last Saturday.
I'm almost certain if it was left up to him,the game would have been played out the front of Moore Park,near the duck pond.

For fuck's sake mate the team just won the fucking grand final and you still want to put the boot in.

Jason Allen should be applauded for the team he has assembled both on and off the field, and turning around rugby in NSW. They have had their share of fuck ups over the years, but this is something they got VERY right and haven't got the plaudits they deserve.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jason Allen should be applauded for the team he has assembled both on and off the field, and turning around rugby in NSW. They have had their share of fuck ups over the years, but this is something they got VERY right and haven't got the plaudits they deserve.

Yeah and it only took him three years.

While you have a point Barb, Allen can hardly be credited with the turnaround this year, because that is all down to success on-field.

The marketing still isn't good enough, and while his CV says he's made the financial markers he's supposed to in the first two years, its hardly been a compelling ride until Cheika came along.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeah and it only took him three years.

While you have a point Barb, Allen can hardly be credited with the turnaround this year, because that is all down to success on-field.

The marketing still isn't good enough, and while his CV says he's made the financial markers he's supposed to in the first two years, its hardly been a compelling ride until Cheika came along.
FFS

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Allen bought Cheika in from overseas, and then built a world class coaching team around him. He succeeded in attracting quality players to the club and keeping the ones we already had. Now it may not have been him in the negotiation room, but he certainly had a big role to play in making sure all the players and coaches wanted to be at the club.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Allen bought Cheika in from overseas, and then built a world class coaching team around him. He succeeded in attracting quality players to the club and keeping the ones we already had. Now it may not have been him in the negotiation room, but he certainly had a big role to play in making sure all the players and coaches wanted to be at the club.
True, but I reckon Cheika was the keystone, and he had conditions which allowed the other bits to go as he planned. But Allen no doubt had a role in facilitating.
But I agree with Pfitzy that the marketing / promotion / media side of things can still use some work!
The acid test will be if they can parlay this goodwill into financial and market growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: BPC

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Pre order Waratah's 2014 Champions Polo.

Getting me two of those ,one to wear and one to admire while the first is in the wash.
champions_polo_NEW3__25135_zoom.jpg

champions_polo_NEW2__52019_zoom.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

OK if we look at the results in that time, maybe you have a point. No-one could have anticipated the tsunami of fuckup that Foley's coaching would turn out to be in the face of his inability to motivate lazy players. Cheika's appointment in 2012 is obviously within his scope of achievement.

However they still need better marketing.

Sorry did you stutter? :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have no idea what the marketing budget is or how much various things cost but I do feel like I see the taxi ads a lot. They seem like they're good value.

Not sure where money could be better utilised aside from just increasing the spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.