• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agree with the penalty against Jed Gillespie he was clearly the ground when he played the ball. Interestingly Gardner put the whistle to his mouth when it happened but for some reason never blew it. He saw it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree with the penalty against Jed Gillespie he was clearly the ground when he played the ball. Interestingly Gardner put the whistle to his mouth when it happened but for some reason never blew it. He saw it.

I have not seen the game yet, will watch the replay, as usual.

The thing about controversial incidents is that we will never know what the alternative scenario would have been. Maybe Eastwood would still have won.

Eastwood thought that they were pretty hardly done by in the first finals match against Souths, so I suppose the controversies even up in the end.

Still, it is always a bit of a letdown when the minor premiers miss the Grand Final. Hard luck, Manly, and may the better team win the Grand Final. With no controversies, and no injuries.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh yea Eastwood would've still won they up by 5 and the penalty was with 3 mins to go on Manly's 22 but it was clearly the wrong call

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have not seen the game yet, will watch the replay, as usual.

The thing about controversial incidents is that we will never know what the alternative scenario would have been. Maybe Eastwood would still have won.

Eastwood thought that they were pretty hardly done by in the first finals match against Souths, so I suppose the controversies even up in the end.

Still, it is always a bit of a letdown when the minor premiers miss the Grand Final. Hard luck, Manly, and may the better team win the Grand Final. With no controversies, and no injuries.

Didn't affect the result. Eastwood the better team.

Missing the GF is always that little bit harder to take when you have been minor premiers, but thems the breaks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We played poorly and were forced into making errors. Eastwood the better team on the day, Manly still able to get close but too many turnovers to put Eastwood under any real pressure.

As an aside, the last try of the match seemed to come after a blatant infringement by an Eastwood player who was on the ground and grabbed the ball as it emerged from a ruck and popped it to a team mate and prevented a Manly player from picking it up - right in front of the ref. As far as I know he is out of the game until he regains he feet and should have been penalised. I'm not blaming this for the loss, but you expect better in a semi final.

Looked like the ref was about to raise the whistle to his lips as well but then had second thoughts.
EDIT : Qwerty beat me to it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought it was ok for the hosting clubs to charge a little extra for the public during the semi's.
But charging players $10 to get in,is a bit shit.
A players card should get you in to any SS game all year,including finals.
Seems that everyone was doing it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought it was ok for the hosting clubs to charge a little extra for the public during the semi's.

It was NSWRU not the clubs who ran the gate at the semis.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep the clubs got run the BBQ sell pies and the odd beer or in the case of Manly a helluva lot of beer and the odd cider or so it seemed

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
We played poorly and were forced into making errors. Eastwood the better team on the day, Manly still able to get close but too many turnovers to put Eastwood under any real pressure.

As an aside, the last try of the match seemed to come after a blatant infringement by an Eastwood player who was on the ground and grabbed the ball as it emerged from a ruck and popped it to a team mate and prevented a Manly player from picking it up - right in front of the ref. As far as I know he is out of the game until he regains he feet and should have been penalised. I'm not blaming this for the loss, but you expect better in a semi final.

I don't claim to be an expert on the laws but if you're talking about the Jared Barry incident I believe he was OK. It was general play (ie he wasn't part of a ruck or maul) so he's within his rights to play the ball even if on the ground.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
thought it was ok for the hosting clubs to charge a little extra for the public during the semi's.
I thought it was SRU (who? you ask) who took control and upped the admission price for the finals. Can someone tell me what Sydney Rugby Union do with the money? and for that matter what they do for Sydney Rugby?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Who were the wingers for the Gordon 2nd grade side yesterday?
Yes they were pretty good. I recall the No. 11 was shown in the program as Michael Manners, a short stout winger with plenty of pace.

Was at Uni yesterday and saw the Manly 2's get a good win. Gordon certainly competed and the Manly boys had to really work for the win. They got the lead right on half time and came out in the 2nd half and built a good lead. They were up by 23 points with 8 minutes to go and Gordon threw caution to the wind and this combined with the Manly boys turning off allowed them to score 3 tries in that time. Manly really should have had a comfortable win and if they can learn to play for the whole match rather than in 10 minute patches they will go well next week.

Forwards again went well with the set piece being pretty dominant. It's hard to pick any one forward as the front row was very strong and Melrose and Sigg showed their experience. Vaka the 8 had some good ball carries and Dombkins (6) worked very hard and showed some good aggression.I thought Wood (9), Treweek (12) and Hartman (15) were the best of the backs.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't claim to be an expert on the laws but if you're talking about the Jared Barry incident I believe he was OK. It was general play (ie he wasn't part of a ruck or maul) so he's within his rights to play the ball even if on the ground.

It was the # 3.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Who were the wingers for the Gordon 2nd grade side yesterday?
Both wingers had very good games. Brandon Quinn was quick winger who crossed for 4 of Gordon's 6 tries (ground announcer gave them to Manners). Michael Manners is the thicker of the two - right winger. Gordon were hurt by some key injuries in the forwards last week v Uni, this disrupted the lineout majorly. When the forwards provided good ball, the backs look very dangerous (6 tries in the backline).
Gordon looked to be in control before halftime and then let Manly in for an easy one to hand over the lead 22-20 at halftime. They looked good again, taking the lead before leaking three tries. This forced them to throw caution to the wind and the end result was an exciting 52-46. Have to give it to the Manly forwards though, strong ball-running and aggressive at the breakdown. Their rolling maul off lineouts caused plenty of concern for Gordon. They deserve to play the final, it will be interesting to see how the uni 2s team changes now that their 1s are out.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
P.S. Shute Shield rugby will be the winner in 1st Grade. Go Souths & Eastwood! It will take a huge effort for Souths to back up again after the last two weeks' amazing wins. Woodies looked very good against Manly. Both very entertaining teams...

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

If this is the relevant law then I believe he was OK ie there's nothing here that says you can't play the ball when lying on the ground if not tackled with the ball and not part of a ruck or maul:
14.1 Players on the ground
(a)
A player with the ball must immediately do one of three things:​
  • Get up with the ball
  • Pass the ball
  • Release the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick
(b)
A player who passes or releases the ball must also get up or move away from it at once.​
(c)
A player without the ball must not lie on, over, or near the ball to prevent opponents getting possession of it.​
(d)
A player on the ground must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.​

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Senior, I think you will find that the team that took the field for uni last week in 2nds won't change much as my understanding is that you have to have played at least 5 out of 7 of the last rounds of the season to qualify for a particular grade. Most of uni's first grade team on the weekend had been there the whole year.

Congrats on Southern making the grand final, it would be nice to see them get up to break the monotony of Uni / Eastwood / Randwick grand final triumphs. If they didn't play their grand final yesterday then they seem to have the wood on the Woods this year, with their only loss being the week they were missing Volavola at home and Eastwood struggled to get the win. Will Rob Horne be available for SD this weekend? Conversely will Benn Robbo be available for Eastwood? Should they be allowed to play if available?

p.s. Fantastic that Uni have failed to make the grand final!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd assume Rob Horne will be in the Wallabies 23.

There shouldn't be any reason that Benn Robinson isn't available for Eastwood. He should certainly be allowed to play and should play if he's healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.