• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy William

Frank Row (1)
High 2nd's also lost. It appears that their Year 11 cohort is rather weak with their team being made up of a Year 10, Year 12 and Year 11 student. I hear that their Year 10 cohort is quite strong but we will have to see. Although I should mention that their first speaker was quite good in his own right and could prove to champion a High premiership in 2016 with the other schools losing out on talent.

Debabe ;)

Frank Row (1)
I hear that their Year 10 cohort is quite strong but we will have to see. Although I should mention that their first speaker was quite good in his own right and could prove to champion a High premiership in 2016 with the other schools losing out on talent.

Yes I have heard that too. According to one of the coaches there is a fair chance that 1st speaker is good enough for the state team by next year. Looks like High might be premiership quality in the next two years, depending on the rest of that Year 10 cohort.

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
High 2nd's also lost. It appears that their Year 11 cohort is rather weak with their team being made up of a Year 10, Year 12 and Year 11 student. I hear that their Year 10 cohort is quite strong but we will have to see. Although I should mention that their first speaker was quite good in his own right and could prove to champion a High premiership in 2016 with the other schools losing out on talent.

Would be interested in seeing SBHS emerge to the fore. If rumours are true that Grammar's beginning to thin out, then we may see a more equalised GPS comp over the next two years. In the first of those two years, people on the forum have been predicting great success from both Kings and Ignatius in 2015.

But even though a lot of people are banking on a drastic reduction in Grammar's strength next season, the vultures ought not to get too excited. Elle Jones is still Grammar's coach, so although talent looks to be thinning out at the moment you can be assured that they won't be easy to beat for as long as she's there.

F

footy_talent_recognition

Any results from the round?

I understand Scott's lost to kings in the 1s and 2s. Results from high and view?

DRH

Bob McCowan (2)
I understand Joeys lost to Grammar in the 2nds, the 1sts has been delayed until Monday owing to Worlds.

DRH

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know how winners are decided in GPS/CAS when two teams have the same number of wins? Looking back at past premierships, the number of non-shared victories seems to indicate that there might be some sort of 'count back' system - anyone know for sure?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does anyone know how winners are decided in GPS/CAS when two teams have the same number of wins? Looking back at past premierships, the number of non-shared victories seems to indicate that there might be some sort of 'count back' system - anyone know for sure?

No additional points are awarded in GPS - if two teams have the same win/loss record then they share the title. The GPS website is very inaccurate - a lot of the premiership wins aren't correct under the 1sts premiership website is wrong, e.g. 2004 which was tied between View and High.

DRH

Bob McCowan (2)
No additional points are awarded in GPS - if two teams have the same win/loss record then they share the title.

So with this in mind, a little speculation/predictions about GPS at the (just past) half-way point of the season.

In the 1sts, Grammar looks unstoppable. Only Newington realistically have a chance of even a co-premiership if Grammar slips up, but I don't really see them losing a debate to the limited opposition they have left. Considering James Stratton's return after a 3rd ranking at Worlds, I confidently predict an undefeated year for the Grammar 1sts.

The 2nds look more competitive, especially considering the co-premiership rule. Kings would need to slip up against weak opposition to come in order to lose a co-premiership (at least) with only Newington really offering them a challenge. Riverview and Grammar, meanwhile, will be duking it out in a couple of weeks in what should be a chance for a co-premiership, at the very least. High's chances look over after their loss to Riverview in this round.

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
I reckon most of the posts in this forum are discounting Sydney High's debating program far too much. They are by far the best public school at debating in NSW and this is shown by their continued absolute dominance of the Year 12 PDC Competition. Their 1sts have struck ill-fortune in GPS this year, notably having to debate the PDC final and Newington on the same day. While they haven't won 1sts since 2006, you'll find that they have come 2nd or 3rd in that competition close to every time.

High's 2nds have gone surprisingly well this year, winning 4/5 with their best speaker (Thomas Shortridge) being in year 10. The classes of 2016 and 2017 are very strong, with the former winning GPS last year (and being 5/5 this year) and the latter coming 2nd on a fluke loss to joeys in round 7 last year (and also being 5/5 this year).

All that being said, the likes of Stratton at Grammar make things extremely difficult for High to succeed at all levels in GPS and as such they often end up living in the shadows.

F

footy_talent_recognition

I reckon most of the posts in this forum are discounting Sydney High's debating program far too much. They are by far the best public school at debating in NSW and this is shown by their continued absolute dominance of the Year 12 PDC Competition. Their 1sts have struck ill-fortune in GPS this year, notably having to debate the PDC final and Newington on the same day. While they haven't won 1sts since 2006, you'll find that they have come 2nd or 3rd in that competition close to every time.

High's 2nds have gone surprisingly well this year, winning 4/5 with their best speaker (Thomas Shortridge) being in year 10. The classes of 2016 and 2017 are very strong, with the former winning GPS last year (and being 5/5 this year) and the latter coming 2nd on a fluke loss to joeys in round 7 last year (and also being 5/5 this year).

All that being said, the likes of Stratton at Grammar make things extremely difficult for High to succeed at all levels in GPS and as such they often end up living in the shadows.

It'll be interesting to see high next year in the 1s, if the rumours about their year 10s and 9s is true. Their year 11s are rather weak and don't seem to stack up alongside the likes of kings and view.

Whilst high have looked decent in the 2nds, losing to riverview and newington has created some doubts. That being said, they are definitely in the "big four" competitive sides, along with grammar, kings and riverview but will need to count on some unlikely events occurring to have a shot at the cup.

Albert Sandler

Frank Row (1)

I wouldn't say High are the best public school team by far. Sure, the class of 2016 are outstanding but they are equaled or outranked by Sydney Girls High in almost every respect. The main reason for their success in PDC is that SGHS no longer enters a Year 12 team into the competition.

I have been lucky enough to see many of their year 9 and 10 boys debate. A clear stand out was Thomas Shortridge as mentioned above but James Goh and Max Koslowski are both skilled and well spoken as well. However, the same can be said for the members of the Sydney Girls team, especially Hannah Blount, who many of you might remember from her public speaking successes.

Either way, it is clear that the CHS team will be very strong in the upcoming years

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't know about that, Max Koslowski is a very good and consistent 3rd, easily 2nd best to Shortridge in their year.

In addition, Eden Blair is definitely one of SGHS' finest debaters and only in year 10, and I think it incorrect to say that Sydney Girls has no depth other than Hannah Blount.

Albert Sandler

Frank Row (1)
You see, as someone that coaches at High I would have to say that your comment shows knowledge, but inaccuracy. This "Max Koslowski" kid is one of the most overrated students in the entire cohort, everyone talks him up, but I just don't see it. As for SGHS, they're alright, but nothing spectacular. I have seen that Hannah Blount person debate, and she is certainly above average - but the rest of SGHS has absolutely no depth. So people rumoured that there would be people at SGHS good enough to get into the state team, and that is ridiculously unfeasible.

Thomas Shortridge is definitely a strong contender, as for Max Koslowski, upon further contemplation I realise I must have confused him for his cousin, Wilber.

noa cass

Frank Row (1)
I wouldn't say High are the best public school team by far. Sure, the class of 2016 are outstanding but they are equaled or outranked by Sydney Girls High in almost every respect. The main reason for their success in PDC is that SGHS no longer enters a Year 12 team into the competition.

I have been lucky enough to see many of their year 9 and 10 boys debate. A clear stand out was Thomas Shortridge as mentioned above but James Goh and Max Koslowski are both skilled and well spoken as well. However, the same can be said for the members of the Sydney Girls team, especially Hannah Blount, who many of you might remember from her public speaking successes.

Either way, it is clear that the CHS team will be very strong in the upcoming years

I think it is important to mention that the main reason for the success of the year 10 SGHS team is the overall high level of talent and cohesion in their team. Aside from outstanding debaters such as Eden Blair, other members such as Mouli Ghosh and Niamh Braddock Hanratty are highly skilled. Having much experience with both the High and SGHS team, I am compelled to think that the consistency of skill within the girls' team makes them perhaps a shade more successful than the boys. There has been some contention about member Hannah Blount, but I personally think she is a very capable debater.

GPS_lover

Frank Row (1)
Back to the main topic, GPS, is their any chance that Grammar will not go undefeated this year?

Newington will be hoping so as they don't look like losing a debate from here, however, unless they are on the receiving end of a howler, no-one looks like dethroning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.