• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I heard NC has changed their backs for this week . Wish they had played that back line against us last week, we would of been in with a better chance.good luck to the NC coaches with the changes. Hope the boys from Churchie don't enjoy the lack of aggression to much. My tip was NC but with the changes tipping Churchie by 12
Well I guess the NC coaches got this one wrong ... Look back at scores over the years ... 1st xv rugby isn't won on defence alone you need to score points ... Not kick the ball away especially not to one of the strongest back three in the comp ... You need attacking threats to win this comp.. Wish you played that back line all this year

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
BBC - BSHS game was a muddy slogfest. Lots of penalties. I reckon the ref's boots will still be dry as he levitated around the park waving his arms. BBCs kicking let them down again. Left a conversion and penalty kick on the table. Neither side could really gain dominance. There was a Yellow card apiece, but neither took much advantage. Heard later that BBC boys cranky as there was apparently a blatant knockon during the scoring of one of the BSHS tries, and that BBC got the ball down over the line during the last play of the game, but it was kicked away, and neither the touchie who was right there, or the ref who was on the wrong side saw it. A game BBC probably should have won, but a draw would have been the fair result, considering the conditions. Congrats to BSHS for grinding out a tough one.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I agre
BBC - BSHS game was a muddy slogfest. Lots of penalties. I reckon the ref's boots will still be dry as he levitated around the park waving his arms. BBCs kicking let them down again. Left a conversion and penalty kick on the table. Neither side could really gain dominance. There was a Yellow card apiece, but neither took much advantage. Heard later that BBC boys cranky as there was apparently a blatant knockon during the scoring of one of the BSHS tries, and that BBC got the ball down over the line during the last play of the game, but it was kicked away, and neither the touchie who was right there, or the ref who was on the wrong side saw it. A game BBC probably should have won, but a draw would have been the fair result, considering the conditions. Congrats to BSHS for grinding out a tough one.
I agree totally ... Great assessment of the game... Draw would of been the result but well done BSHS

Tiptop

Frank Row (1)
A good summary of a pretty ordinary game to watch although granted, very poor conditions. BBC struggled in the backs with more positional changes during the week. Scrum was probably the only highlight for them. Well done to BSHS who never gave up and just kept on coming. BBC will yet again be disappointed with the unforced errors and poor kicking. Also struggling without a permanent goal kicker.

REDandBlack

Frank Row (1)
BBC is not a surprise. Their coaches still ride on success of winning a premiership with Pocock and Cooper (plus another bunch of very talented players). Barker got sacked at ACGS before he went to BBC (remember he didn't coach for a year or two) and Stevenson lead not only GTs worst year ever (2011) but arguably their most disappointing in 2009. BBC has also become the home of 2011 GT Assistant coach White, who was sacked by Lauries despite quite a bit of success.

They are in the same boat as GT currently. You can buy all the players you want but if they are going into substandard structures, it is irrelevant. GT has coaches dining out on a 2004 premiership, despite batting about 20-30% wins since and no top 4 finishes (for this staff).

There seems to be an effort for keeping up appearances in these programs, things like "high performance reviews" and such, but they never address the core failing problems. Both schools were probably more competitive before they were bringing in kids on rugby merit.

I don't actually think GT are in the same boat as there are currently 4 boys on scholarships in the GT First team. GT probably had 1 of their most competitive years in a while last year being and i'm sorry but for you to compare GT to BBC is just crazy as every time GT has been able to beat BBC's hyped up completely imported team there has always been 1 comment its been that GT are always able to come away with a win a because of their heart and quite frankly i think BBC lack this.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Perhaps BBC should take a different approach in coming years & not overhype themselves all preseason. College needs less hero's & more workers who buy into teamwork.
BBC yesterday had Ikitau kicking as he did against TSS and was unsuccessful again he also was sent off leaving BBC a man down.
BBC have stopped believing in themselves.
With Barker unable to effectively communicate to the boys except post match to tell them what options they did not do correctly.No ability to get into their brains to give them the belief as a whole that they can WIN.
How can a coach not inspire boys be coaching at this level when BBC have coaches that you can see lift and motivate teams.
Also have heard that he is not consistent with all boys having to attend all training sessions unless hurt or sick.
This has allowed boys to sleep in ,and not attend these early morning sessions in the gym cause they do not want to get up!
BUT they are still in the team-why?
And as he is not personally in attendance from the beginning to the end of every training session looking it over and seeing for himself who is committed and has those work ethics in the gym.This also would have shown the boys he was interested in everything and started a good ongoing relationship with them but from what I hear there is always a barrier with him.
What has these choices Barker communicated to the wider BBC rugby community?
And again why was not a kicker decided a term ago?
Part of kicking is a belief that the boy can kick from himself.
But BBC coaching staff overlooked this important role till GT trial game.
I don't believe it is the coaches fault but a combination of a lot of factors.
They need to review now not post season or should I say it is already the end of BBC 2014 season.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Any under age results from the weekends games .
NC V Churchie don't know the scores exactly but...
NC 13a won by couple of points taking a penalty late in the game to make sure of it, something one Mr M Hooper could learn from
NC 14a won by heaps 49 nil? Amazing team to watch, their blindside and number eight wrecking machines, the former has the speed of winger
Churchie 15a won coping well with the wet conditions
Churchie 16a won I believe but I was watching another game and only could hear the announcer salivating.

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
NC V Churchie don't know the scores exactly but.
NC 13a won by couple of points taking a penalty late in the game to make sure of it, something one Mr M Hooper could learn from
NC 14a won by heaps 49 nil? Amazing team to watch, their blindside and number eight wrecking machines, the former has the speed of winger
Churchie 15a won coping well with the wet conditions
Churchie 16a won I believe but I was watching another game and only could hear the announcer salivating.

What makes this years NC14A team anymore special than the 2012 NC13A's or the 2011 BSHS13A's?

just curious.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I give up with this tipping lurk. I think the only one I got right this week was TSS.

I was texted by a mate at the Nudgee game. he said ACGS threw to 6 all day and he was waiting for the NC response but it never came - ACGS just threw and won there uncontested all day. seems a pretty dumb move from a good rugby school on a day when the NC coaches surely told them that possession was key.

Barker and his white elephants eh? one wonders what sort of HR due diligence BBC did. Has this just started or was this what churchie types would say the same things happening now at BBC were happening there.

Posters should leave GT alone when it comes to rugby programs. Admittedly they were late arrivals at the scholarship dance but they have consistently made the most of what they had, even when hopelessly outgunned and their junior sides are wonderfully skilled in the basics. I loved the spirit of their 1st XV a few years back- amazing heart in a season of numerous canings against big spenders like BGS ACGS TSS and NC in that era.

Write off NC at your peril. They have a resilient outlook and can bounce back from a loss better than anyone. Churchie have beaten them before and yet NC have had the last laugh when the premiership cup gets handed over.

Gilmour off to the Reds? Management of a big name team of hand picked imported stars - sounds like his current experiences would have him well suited to a pro rugby franchise.

Well done TGS and BSHS - grinding wins out to get some hope into their seasons. Good work boys.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
BBC yesterday had Ikitau kicking as he did against TSS and was unsuccessful again he also was sent off leaving BBC a man down.
BBC have stopped believing in themselves.
With Barker unable to effectively communicate to the boys except post match to tell them what options they did not do correctly.No ability to get into their brains to give them the belief as a whole that they can WIN.
How can a coach not inspire boys be coaching at this level when BBC have coaches that you can see lift and motivate teams.
Also have heard that he is not consistent with all boys having to attend all training sessions unless hurt or sick.
This has allowed boys to sleep in ,and not attend these early morning sessions in the gym cause they do not want to get up!
BUT they are still in the team-why?
And as he is not personally in attendance from the beginning to the end of every training session looking it over and seeing for himself who is committed and has those work ethics in the gym.This also would have shown the boys he was interested in everything and started a good ongoing relationship with them but from what I hear there is always a barrier with him.
What has these choices Barker communicated to the wider BBC rugby community?
And again why was not a kicker decided a term ago?
Part of kicking is a belief that the boy can kick from himself.
But BBC coaching staff overlooked this important role till GT trial game.
I don't believe it is the coaches fault but a combination of a lot of factors.
They need to review now not post season or should I say it is already the end of BBC 2014 season.
It's all about culture and the boys wanting to play for each other and for their school. That is the big risk in these scholarship programmes - generally , the boys are there for the wrong reasons and aren't engaged in the broader school or the broader school community.
I would back a team of boys who have been together for some years, and are coached well, and who will be there in the trenches for their teammates and school, against a team of cobbled together ring-ins who don't give a shit about the school and are there because of a perceived pathway to something better.
Champion teams are developed over time, not bought.
This scholarship nonsense is killing GPS sport. There should be no scholarships for entry into these schools after Grade 8. Any exceptions should be put in front of a neutral panel for consideration, or as a minimum, restricted to 1 or 2 per year up to year 10 - none beyond.
It appears not all is lost for BBC jack07.
I have watched their 13A team the last 2 weeks, and was speaking to a parent yesterday who suggested only two boys on scholarship, and a couple of other new boys from the normal Year 8 intake, but the core of the team has been together for some years, and 2 years ago didn't win a game in the CIC season.
The 2 scholarship boys are there for the long haul, and participating beyond rugby in T&F, rowing, cricket and other activities, and are engaged in the school. A focus on coaching and developing these boys over the last 2 years, and plugging a couple of gaps with scholarship boys that appreciate the opportunity and will grow as part of the school over the next 5 years, has resulted in a team that could teach the BBC firsts a couple of things about attitude and turning up for team and school. The way these boys galvanized in the face of some nonsense from NC 2 weeks ago, and again backed each other up yesterday in tough conditions in a great game against BSHS, was terrific for the future.
It will be interesting to keep an eye on this team and see if this "scholarship arms race" will undo all this good work over the next few years.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
To be fair to Ikitau I don't think he did anything particularly wrong, rather he just happened to be standing in the wrong place when the ref decided enough was enough and someone was going to the bin. The State High send off was for a blatant brain snap and those are the ones that are unnecessary and could cost you a game.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
What makes this years NC14A team anymore special than the 2012 NC13A's or the 2011 BSHS13A's?

just curious.

Maybe because the 2012 Nudgee 13 A's were one of nudgee's worst teams that year (In the A's).

Nudgee didn't want the same thing twice in a row...

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Sorry meant 2011 NC 13A and 2010 BSHS 13A.
You've asked a pretty subjective question, so I'll give you my opinion on the NC14a 2014
I believe they are better as they are a year older and even though we are yet to get through the half way point of the season have improved over the team they were last year. Last year they were crash and bash using their physical edge they had over other teams. This year not only do they still have that physical edge but their play from first phase or multiple phases is about manipulating the defense. Their understanding of varying the channels they are attacking befits a team of a older age group and they have the skill set to go with it.
I've probably put the mockers on them, as any team is beatable, but its going to take a team playing at the top of their game.

A. Camplin

Bob McCowan (2)
Any under age results from the weekends games .
Nudgee vs Churchie

13A - Nudgee by 4 over Churchie (scrappy in tedious conditions) (both teams were well below the standard set by several AIC teams)
14A - not sure who won but I believe it was a 1 point game
15A - ???
16A - Churchie by 28 - 0 over Nudgee

*The Churchie 12B side certainly shows they have a lot of depth in that age group for future years. I was reffing this team and there structure and teamwork was honestly like that of any 'A' side of any age group. Could be because of there coach, Super Rugby TMO Steve
Leszczynski. They ended up beating the Nudgee side by well over 50 points.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
You've asked a pretty subjective question, so I'll give you my opinion on the NC14a 2014
I believe they are better as they are a year older and even though we are yet to get through the half way point of the season have improved over the team they were last year. Last year they were crash and bash using their physical edge they had over other teams. This year not only do they still have that physical edge but their play from first phase or multiple phases is about manipulating the defense. Their understanding of varying the channels they are attacking befits a team of a older age group and they have the skill set to go with it.
I've probably put the mockers on them, as any team is beatable, but its going to take a team playing at the top of their game.
They have also improved a lot from last year with a bunch of new recruits - again unnecessary given their performance in 2013. As a consequence, the 14Bs are untouchable. Screws up the whole competition.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
They have also improved a lot from last year with a bunch of new recruits - again unnecessary given their performance in 2013. As a consequence, the 14Bs are untouchable. Screws up the whole competition.
Two new recruits. The rest have been there from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.