• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Good to see Blacktown ripping in and giving it a tilt after dropping a Div last year. How long have Redfield been around for? A higher div definately awaits.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can see Hunters Hill being promoted if Subbies put it out to tender. 2 fields, history in Div 1 and a bit of cash. Brothers should be forced to go up as is the case with every club who wins the club championship. Subbies need to now work hard to develop a 3rd division colts comp - colts can be the lifeblood of a club in terms of player recruitment.
Assuming there is talk of DIV 5 reforming next year? I would have thought the conference system in both Div 5 and 6 could be the structural change that gives subbies a boost. We need clubs building players and team numbers such as Balmain and Redfield have.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know the powers that be at Newport are very keen to give Div 1 a crack next year if they make it. Its been a while since they won the Kentwell Cup and I hear they are pretty cashed up to compete in the cheque book rugby stakes.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I can see Hunters Hill being promoted if Subbies put it out to tender. 2 fields, history in Div 1 and a bit of cash. Brothers should be forced to go up as is the case with every club who wins the club championship. Subbies need to now work hard to develop a 3rd division colts comp - colts can be the lifeblood of a club in terms of player recruitment.
Assuming there is talk of DIV 5 reforming next year? I would have thought the conference system in both Div 5 and 6 could be the structural change that gives subbies a boost. We need clubs building players and team numbers such as Balmain and Redfield have.

Crashy have to disagree with you on this one as I cant see the benefit of sacrificing Brothers in Div1 based on the premise "thats what weve always done". How if it benefical for a Brothers or for that matter UNSW or Newport to go up to Div 1, end up fielding 3 or max 4 teams (including colts) and then get penalised by subbies and relegated down a couple of Divs.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually agree with you Heavy-D.
Assuming that a club (s) needs to be relegated from DIV 1, and so far we know that the Quinns are returning to the Illawarra comp and Beecroft need some time to re-build in a lower Div, there is a need for 2 teams to be promoted. Should Subbies open promotion to tender regardless of who wins the club championship?
I think this idea has merit and a club could be considered based on player numbers (i.e did they regularly field a Halligans cup team, lower grade results, juniors and facilities). If Hunters Hill tick the boxes and want to go up (assuming they will be competitive) then I can’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed up. Having been in a club who has done the yo-yo to and from Div 1 on a couple of occasions, the season can be a hard slog if they are out of their depth.

A question - Do Brothers not want to get promoted should they win the CC?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I actually agree with you Heavy-D.
Assuming that a club (s) needs to be relegated from DIV 1, and so far we know that the Quinns are returning to the Illawarra comp and Beecroft need some time to re-build in a lower Div, there is a need for 2 teams to be promoted. Should Subbies open promotion to tender regardless of who wins the club championship?
I think this idea has merit and a club could be considered based on player numbers (i.e did they regularly field a Halligans cup team, lower grade results, juniors and facilities). If Hunters Hill tick the boxes and want to go up (assuming they will be competitive) then I can’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed up. Having been in a club who has done the yo-yo to and from Div 1 on a couple of occasions, the season can be a hard slog if they are out of their depth.

A question - Do Brothers not want to get promoted should they win the CC?

Good question. I'm not closer enough to know.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I know the powers that be at Newport are very keen to give Div 1 a crack next year if they make it. Its been a while since they won the Kentwell Cup and I hear they are pretty cashed up to compete in the cheque book rugby stakes.

Is this mail good? I've heard they are making a killing at home games with turnover but doubtful they'd direct that to player payments.

WillyO

Stan Wickham (3)
This weeks finals predictions:

Div 3: UWSH and Waverley wins

Div 4: Quins win

Div 6: Anyone's guess but I'll go with:
Clovelly, Fairvale, Terrey Hills, Chatswood

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Couldn't really comment on the other divisions but for Div4

First Grade: Blacktown
Second Grade: Irish
Third Grade: Blacktown

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Division 4 finals line up was confirmed on Saturday. Blacktown had just too much class for Quins in 3rd grade, their pack got on top early on but Quins rallied in the second half to get the margin back to two points. However Warriors were able to get their big pack back in the game and slotted a couple of penalty goals to see out the game.

In 2nd grade Irish's structured game was too difficult for Canterbury to overcome. In the first half Irish had about 80% possession but could only get 2 tries and Berries were still in the game. Two quick tries from loose kicks straight after half time leveled the game up and a knock on with the line at their mercy cost Berries another one, however Irish were able to bring on some fresh forwards who got their game back on track and managed to cross the line a few more times for a 22-10 victory.

In 1st grade Blacktown saw of Quins in a decent game. Blacktown were just too well drilled and physical. Due to excessive consumption of beers I'm a bit hazy on the details of this one unfortunately.

Next weeks finals:

3rd Grade: Redfield Blacktown
2nd Grade: Redfield Irish
1st Grade: Redfield Blacktown

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How was Wills Ground in that weather? Played in a final there back in 2008 and it was a swamp after mild rain

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
How was Wills Ground in that weather? Played in a final there back in 2008 and it was a swamp after mild rain

It was fine on Saturday the pitch seemed in decent condition seeing as it was at the end of the season.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting to see Drummoyne have been penalised 12 comp points in each grade after they received their 13th red card last week.. This is certainly unprecedented in Div 1. I was wondering if anyone has seen this recently in lower divisions? I really feel for the players who have missed out on finals because of a few thugs. Incredibly their 1st Grade side have still held onto 2nd spot even with a 12 point deficit.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting to see Drummoyne have been penalised 12 comp points in each grade after they received their 13th red card last week.. This is certainly unprecedented in Div 1. I was wondering if anyone has seen this recently in lower divisions? I really feel for the players who have missed out on finals because of a few thugs. Incredibly their 1st Grade side have still held onto 2nd spot even with a 12 point deficit.

Who is going to win Div 1 this year? St Pats?

WillyO

Stan Wickham (3)
Drummoyne (assuming they make the finals) - on their day they can knock off anyone. St pats favourites though.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Massive weekend for UNSW in 2nd DIV who can qualify 4 grades + colts into semi finals with wins over Newport in a double point round. Its death or glory for the UNSW boys as loses could see them qualify only colts & 4ths. If the results go the other way the Breakers could be looking for minor premierhsips in 1s, 2s and 4s.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Massive weekend for UNSW in 2nd DIV who can qualify 4 grades + colts into semi finals with wins over Newport in a double point round. Its death or glory for the UNSW boys as loses could see them qualify only colts & 4ths. If the results go the other way the Breakers could be looking for minor premierhsips in 1s, 2s and 4s.

Big ask beating Newport at Newport.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
@Tommy Tudehope how are Redfield looking for this weekend? I assume after last years muggings on finals day everyone would be pretty clued in and pumped! Going to be 3 massive games for you blokes, all of which could go either way

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

Incredible season for UNSW 1st grade. In the first half of the season their 1st grade only lost one match. Second round of the season they have only managed one win! I wonder if it was the uni holidays or injuries that ruined their season????

Status
Not open for further replies.