• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'll hopefully get a chance to rewatch the scrums from the first Bledisloe quickly tonight but I'm pretty sure Hooper always packs behind the LHP on our own feed and then plays on the openside on the opposition feed.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Are we allowed to ask the qualifications of this individual?

I don't know about qualifications but I should've added he's not only just the brother, but the favourite brother :)

All in good jest, but I do get a laugh out of posts that are in the same vein as "I know a guy, who knows a guy, therefore....."

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Hooper didn't beat cane because he was scrummaging on the left/blindside so that carter could push on the tight head side which unfortunately wa the openside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't know about qualifications but I should've added he's not only just the brother, but the favourite brother :)

All in good jest, but I do get a laugh out of posts that are in the same vein as "I know a guy, who knows a guy, therefore..."

yes I know, it's as though said person is rugby gospel..all in good fun

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Hooper could have been on the left wing when that final scrum formed for all the help he could have provided.
Great teams would have had a clear plan of how to retain possession until they forced a penalty, scored a try or took the field goal option, irrespective of where the scrum packed and who was playing wherever.
Teams inexperienced at closing games out would have;
- taken the ball wide on 1st phase away from the posts.
- gone into space and risked turning it over.
- gone to the side with their own fatigued lock playing flanker.
Hey, that's us but we'll learn from it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it was just a brilliant piece of play by Cane rather than an error from us. We committed plenty of numbers to that breakdown, but he beat them all.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He can possibly run that line to get back onside but no way can he play at the ball or otherwise get involved in the play until he's back onside. Penalty every time & given how many we'd given away in the few minutes prior, deserving of a YC.

Likewise Crockett may have gotten away with just a penalty for being marginally offside had he not previously given away a dumb-as penalty for playing at an AB knock-on in order to prevent a Wob turnover. Also YC-worthy IMO. The 2nd one I mean, 1st is a penalty & a warning.

Agreed. Crockett had given away an even more cynical penalty with the Wobs on attack only a few minutes earlier which obviously played a role in the YC decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I was trying to be as clear as possible. Barbarian really didn't seem to be getting it.

T

Train Without a Station

Nah Cane is overrated. But I take your point and think Todd would be better.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wouldn't write off McCaw just yet.

Thought he was quiet on Saturday, then I looked at the stats. 20 tackles at 100%, and seven runs as well. Bloke is still a machine.

Owen Franks, on the other hand, attempted 10 tackles and missed 7. Ouch.

T

Train Without a Station

I wouldn't write off McCaw just yet.

Thought he was quiet on Saturday, then I looked at the stats. 20 tackles at 100%, and seven runs as well. Bloke is still a machine.

Owen Franks, on the other hand, attempted 10 tackles and missed 7. Ouch.

Not one of those stats really supports that though barb.

For example if Ben McCalman played and returned those stats we would all be saying, great he has a good work rate but he's lacking impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.