• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the claims of the Gillard govt was that they got heaps of legislation through. Much went through with the Lib's support.

We now have a mandate to fix the budget and the same mess creaters are oppossing it. That is the obstruction going on.

In the long term ALP will get in and as Stevenson indicated they will have to make much harder decisions. But on past history they will against as now not do what is in the countires interest but their own.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
One of the claims of the Gillard govt was that they got heaps of legislation through. Much went through with the Lib's support.

We now have a mandate to fix the budget and the same mess creaters are oppossing it. That is the obstruction going on.

In the long term ALP will get in and as Stevenson indicated they will have to make much harder decisions. But on past history they will against as now not do what is in the countires interest but their own.

Woop, woop, woop.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Mandate?
Fuck me,I voted for these pricks and I oppose with my dying breath some of the shit they are trying to get through ATM.
They have no mandate from me despite my error in voting for them.
Funnily enough,I didn't vote for them in the senate.
So maybe,given so many like me voted for them in the lower house,but not the upoer house,they have a mandate for changing very little.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mandate?
Fuck me,I voted for these pricks and I oppose with my dying breath some of the shit they are trying to get through ATM.
They have no mandate from me despite my error in voting for them.
Funnily enough,I didn't vote for them in the senate.
So maybe,given so many like me voted for them in the lower house,but not the upoer house,they have a mandate for changing very little.

If you voted for them then you gave them a mandate

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I think if we wanted to give them a mandate we would have voted them more power in the senate.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you voted for them then you gave them a mandate
I voted for the guy that wasn't K Rudd.
By voting for the mad monk,I gave him the mandate to do those things he highlighted before the election.
Before the election,the mad monk portrayed himself as being moderate in the extreme.
If he given a hint about doing some of the things he is trying on now,neither I, nor the vast majority would have let him win his seat,let alone the majority in the lower house.
But seeing as I and the majority of the population didn't trust him enough to vote for him in the senate,I would argue that I gave him enough if a mandate to do what a hostile senate would allow him to do.
Which is 3/5ths of fuck all.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Deja Vu again FFS. Government got a mandate to govern in the lower house and nothing else.

Some people just don't get this basic principle.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If this bull shit conception of a mandate was true Runner, who gave Abbott the mandate to roll Turnbull for the coalition leadership and oppose the introduction of an ETS? Keep in mind both parties took that policy ambition to the 2007 election.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Challenge at the moment is that the Libs have used the sky is falling approach to marketing the need for change, whereas the need is more subtle, something none of our current politicians, especially Abbott, is capable delivering.

There are clear structural issues in the Aus economy that need to be fixed but as usual everybody is happy to see those repairs as long as it doesn't affect them. Our medicare costs will continue to grow exponentially with various lobby groups wanting to extend the services provided, education costs continue to blow out, our aging population needs more shit, our wage growth has grown faster than productivity - the result being companies are closing down operations. The country has come to be one of two speeds with mining hiding a variety of ills.

The response currently from Labor has been "there isn't a problem" and "if" there is an accepted problem the response varies from "let the rich pay" to "lower social welfare costs" to "require companies to pay their "fair share"" to "reduce the size of government" etc etc which ever one of the above you prefer is generally dependant on where you are in the economy and where the relevant politician gets his votes.

So everytime any government tries to change the structural stuff someone whines.

So now we have complaints about negative gearing, somehow claiming the costs of holding an investment
is wrong, but no one seems to think it is wrong to tax the capital growth on that investment. To me if you want to tax the profit, you need to be able to claim the costs.

We also have had previous governments encouraging workers to plan for their retirements, but now the "encouragement" is too generous, meh

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are clear structural issues in the Aus economy that need to be fixed but as usual everybody is happy to see those repairs as long as it doesn't affect them. Our medicare costs will continue to grow exponentially with various lobby groups wanting to extend the services provided, education costs continue to blow out, our aging population needs more shit, our wage growth has grown faster than productivity - the result being companies are closing down operations. The country has come to be one of two speeds with mining hiding a variety of ills.

Medicare costs continue to grow as our population becomes wealthier. There are far more people seeking non emergency treatment because they can now afford it than were previously and with that comes the taxpayer support through our Medicare system.

If there's one thing that we should spend more money on it's education. It's the best investment taxpayers can make. The payoff period is just long.

You are flat out wrong on wage growth vs productivity. Wage growth is at its lowest level since 1997 and productivity growth is at its highest since 2002. There is certainly no wage explosion happening now.

Our biggest problems relate to revenue. Tax as a proportion of GDP has been lower over the past few years than it historically has and due to that we can't afford the level of services we require. We need to fix the tax system and some of that needs to come from tax reform on the most costly leakages within our tax system.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I voted for the guy that wasn't K Rudd.
By voting for the mad monk,I gave him the mandate to do those things he highlighted before the election.
Before the election,the mad monk portrayed himself as being moderate in the extreme.
If he given a hint about doing some of the things he is trying on now,neither I, nor the vast majority would have let him win his seat,let alone the majority in the lower house.
But seeing as I and the majority of the population didn't trust him enough to vote for him in the senate,I would argue that I gave him enough if a mandate to do what a hostile senate would allow him to do.
Which is 3/5ths of fuck all.

Refer to above 2408

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
If this bull shit conception of a mandate was true Runner, who gave Abbott the mandate to roll Turnbull for the coalition leadership and oppose the introduction of an ETS? Keep in mind both parties took that policy ambition to the 2007 election.

Two different concepts.

So if ALP win lower house and not the senate at next election they will have no mandate

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True but is doesn't mean it was not there intention

The whole point of the Senate is that it is a house of review and ordinarily will not provide the government to pass any legislation they want.

Almost every government has to compromise to get legislation through. That's the entire point.

The Coalition hasn't seemed to get that yet. If they can't convince any of the other parties/senators in the Senate to support their legislation it probably means it shouldn't be passed and needs to be reconsidered.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I see their challenge is somewhat different.
They do claim the sky is falling in,despite zero economists agreeing with this stance.
None of the changes suggested by the mad monk actually address the issues he has framed.
They change nothing structurally,they are just making the most in need,carry a heavier burden than previously.
Removing the dole for 6 months for anyone under 25 ( saving approx $6k per head) but at the same time trying desperately to gift up to $50k to wealthy new mums,sums up the inequities suggested by this mob.
As an aside,I don't see anywhere that people are suggesting negative gearing should be abolished.I have seen arguments that suggest capital gains tax should not be discounted.
It wouldn't suit me personally,but I can understand the logic to remove that concession,especially if the sky is falling in.
But it isn't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two different concepts.

So if ALP win lower house and not the senate at next election they will have no mandate

A mandate in the lower house only means that you have the power to put legislation to the senate.

The senate should rightly consider every piece of legislation on its merits and pass legislation that they think is worthy of passing.

Getting slightly more than 50% of the electorate supporting you at the federal election doesn't mean a party has a mandate to do whatever they want. That concept is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.