• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I admire McKenzie staying with the same team. It's good at see an Australian sporting coach sticking with his players, installing a bit of confidence and showing some fucking balls.

And this is coming from a Foley fan, hoping Beale tears up on Saturday.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
If the wallabies had a few injury worries like the Blecks, they might have delayed the naming of their team. blecks didnt have that luxury. australia certainly look the more settled team going into saturday

The Blecks??? You sound like an Afrikaner talking about......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB have been named, Crotty for Nonu, Messam for Kaino & Faumuina for Moody:

ALL BLACKS: Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ryan Crotty, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Steven Luatua, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...an-Crotty-gets-first-start-for-the-All-Blacks

Nonu back soon, Kaino possibly gone for rest of comp:

"Coach Steve Hansen confirmed that Nonu had deep shoulder bruising but was expected to be available for selection for the All Blacks' next Test, against Argentina in Napier in two weeks.

"However, Kaino's injured elbow was expected to keep him out of rugby for four to six weeks."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/24768747/nonu-and-kaino-out-for-all-blacks/

T

Train Without a Station

Crotty is a good player and Conrad Smith is Conrad Smith, but I think we have a good advantage over that midfield partnership.

With Messam now in the backrow I think we have closer to parity too, though he is a better line out operator than Kaino from memory so that may assist their line out further, or being the 5th choice jumper, may have no impact.

Definitely looks a less mean and imposing outfit without Kaino and Non though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
With Messam now in the backrow I think we have closer to parity too, though he is a better line out operator than Kaino from memory so that may assist their line out further, or being the 5th choice jumper, may have no impact.
Definitely looks a less mean and imposing outfit without Kaino and Non though.

I'm going to have to disagree with your there. Last time Messam played for the All Blacks he carved it up. He plays a lot looser then Kaino which I think can work to the All Blacks advantage. They don't need a tight playing 6 when there tight 5 are so good. It's only a slight loss in my opinion.

But that being said, If Fardy plays like he did last week but cuts out the few penalties I still think we got a good chance of outplaying them in that area.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One thing that I thought was mildly interesting about last week's draw is that Conrad Smith missed the game.

He already had the highest winning percentage of any of the experienced All Blacks and missing a rare game that they didn't win only improves that.

Hopefully they all take a hit to that winning percentage this Saturday!

T

Train Without a Station

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation though.

Does he just have the highest winning percentage because of the teams he was in?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wallabies by 14. Best all round Australian performance in several years coming up this Saturday. The All Blacks will play okay, but won't have enough to stop us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation though.

Does he just have the highest winning percentage because of the teams he was in?

I agree that correlation doesn't equate to causation. That's why it's nothing more than an interesting statistic.

Conrad Smith 77 tests 90.25%
Richie McCaw 128 tests 89.06%
Dan Carter 100 tests 88.50%
Ma'a Nonu 92 tests 88.04%
Owen Franks 58 tests 87.93%
Kieran Read 63 tests 87.30%
Keven Mealamu 114 tests 85.96%

Actually just found a 50+ test All Black with a better record.

Sam Whitelock 55 tests 90.90% winning percentage.

In the percentages, a draw counts as half a win.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
NZ TAB paying $15 for Wobs by 11-20, better get on it before everyone reads your post & the price plummets.

Also gotta say NZ $1.25 & Wobs $3.70 with a 9.5 start is fucking insane.
Can get even better that that locally - NZ $1.22 v Wobs $4.20 with a 10.5 start!
Gotta get me some of that :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kepu had an injury concern and they brought him off. At the 77 minute mark I'm pretty sure the plan was to keep Kepu on the whole game.
And to be fair to Alexander, I seem to remember the Nz LHP going head first into the dirt before then.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And to be fair to Alexander, I seem to remember the Nz LHP going head first into the dirt before then.

Yeah. If anyone could have been penalised at that last scrum it was Moody. He was bound on Alexander's shorts (which is not legal) and he lost his bind and went down first.

It seemed that Peyper was never going to make a decision in those last couple of minutes to decide the game though unless it was impossible not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.