• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2014 - Non-Wallaby Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ROUND 1
Saturday 16 August Australia v New Zealand
Sunday 17 August South Africa v Argentina

ROUND 2

Saturday 23 August New Zealand v Australia 

Sunday 24 August Argentina v South Africa 

ROUND 3

Saturday 6 September New Zealand v Argentina
Saturday 6 September Australia v South Africa 

ROUND 4

Saturday 13 September New Zealand v South Africa 

Saturday 13 September Australia v Argentina 

ROUND 5

Sunday 28 September South Africa v Australia 

Sunday 28 September Argentina v New Zealand 

ROUND 6

Sunday 5 October South Africa v New Zealand 

Sunday 5 October Argentina v Australia

This thread to discuss games in 2014 Rugby Championship not involving the Wallabies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone got the Saffer or Los Pumas team lists for Sunday morning's game?

The match will be at altitude at Loftus Versfeld.

Despite patchy Super Rugby form, the Saffers must be red hot favourites for this match, and should be looking to bank the 4 try bonus point as well.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Boks have been named but still can't find the Pumas. Need to sort out Fantasy team tonight so hope they do it soon.....

Springbok team to face Argentina: Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, Damian de Allende, Jean de Villiers (capt), Bryan Habana, Handre Pollard, Ruan Pienaar, Duane Vermeulen, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw, Lood de Jager, Bakkies Botha, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.
Reserves: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Frans Malherbe, Eben Etzebeth, Marcell Coetzee, Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Jan Serfontein.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see that the Bokke have chosen Handre Pollard as the run on 10.

He had a cracker of a Jnr RWC and thoroughly deserved the U20 Player of the Year title.

That backline could make life very difficult for Los Pumas, and a score in the 50's is not outside the realms of probability.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting that after all the hype surrounding Lambie, Goosen and Jantjies in the last few years, Pollard has come through and seemingly usurped them all.

Deservedly too. He really seems like the complete player. I think Lambie is the best of the rest but he's let down a little by his lack of size.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This could be very dangerous for the Wallabies. It has been a while since the Bokke had an unpredictable flyhalf.

The $64000 question is what will their game plan be? At altitude, it will be very tempting to implement a modified Jakeball strategy. Will they resist temptation and take some risks with the ball in hand?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has Etzebeth played any other rugby other than 20 minutes of Currie Cup against the Kings?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Los Pumas
1- Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy (captain)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Mariano Galarza
5- Thomas Lavanini
6- Paul Matera
7- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe
8- Juan Manuel Leguizamón
9- Martin Landajo
10- Nicolás Sánchez
11- Manuel Montero
12- Juan Martín Hernández
13- Marcelo Bosch
14- Horacio Agulla
15- Joaquin Tuculet

Substitutions:
16- Matias Cortese
17- Paz Lucas Noguera
18- Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
19- Matias Alemanno
20- Leonardo Senatore
21- Thomas Cubelli
22- Santiago González Iglesias
23- Lucas González Amorosino

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is it with the playing surface at Loftus? The ground was like a swimming pool, yet it managed to hold its integrity.

If that much rain fell on a surface in Australia, and then they played a test match on it, it would be a mudpie after about 20 minutes.

Los Pumas will take much confidence from their performance this morning.

Even though the conditions were very poor, the Bokke "should" have won that game by 20+ points.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The Boks will be highly disappointed with the weather.

When you play the Argies, you want to be gunning for 4 try bonus point.
This is not a good result for them.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
This is a good result for Argentina i would say and indicative of my thoughts that they are more than darkhorse for the world cup semi finals.

They are never able to pick a the same players for there squads due to most not gaining release from there french clubs, yet they manage to grind out respectable results against arguably the best 3 teams in the world.

Whilst being able to teach a far wider net of players there basic structures and systems. When the world cup rolls around next year and every single one of their players are available. I will not be surprised if they pull off some upsets.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The Argie scrum pushed the boks into the cheap seats. I know they have that reputation but it's the first time I've actually seen the Argentinian scrum live up to their historic billing.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Argie scrum pushed the boks into the cheap seats. I know they have that reputation but it's the first time I've actually seen the Argentinian scrum live up to their historic billing.

Not the first time I have seen it but for the last few years their scrum has not really put anyone away. But they were awesome against SA and the ref made decisions on reputation and expectation not on what was actually happening on the ground. Bismark got popped in one scrum only to be awarded a penalty for some mythical Argie offence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Big news that. Hopefully Smith has a blinder. We need impact at the breakdown and Alberts has been average.

I was surprised by the scrums. Don't know what happened there. Not the most experienced / well known Argie front row. They had a couple of crap scrum years by their standards but look to be back on form and put everyone else on notice. Dropping Beast suggests he might be carrying injury.

Glad Meyer has stuck with Pollard. He is willing to invest in the future which is exactly what people have been criticizing him for. It's work in progress though. He needs better protection from the forwards and Pienaar .

Excited to see how de Jager and Etsebeth go together after training together for a week.

One thing Juan Smith brings is no taking of shit from anyone at the breakdown which is where we struggled last week. Bakkies was WELL off the pace and Coetzee was ineffective when he came on. I believe this is where we will improve and win the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.