• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City vs. Sydney Stars - NRC Round 1, 21/08 @ Ballymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Anyone else notice that an NRL game has been scheduled for tonight?

I somehow think it is not a coincidence...

To be fair they've been doing Thursdays on and off for years now. What I don't get is why we're starting on a Thursday... awful day for viewers.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
To be fair they've been doing Thursdays on and off for years now. What I don't get is why we're starting on a Thursday. awful day for viewers.

Not sure what you mean by awful day for viewers. I love midweek games, it's my best chance to watch them live but I appreciate I'm probably not the norm.

The Thursday deal was to make it Rugby night, with an ITM Cup match at 5:30, NRC game 7:30 and Rugby HQ 9:30. All broadcast games will be Thurs night and Fox at their discretion can broadcast more if they want I believe.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure what you mean by awful day for viewers. I love midweek games, it's my best chance to watch them live but I appreciate I'm probably not the norm.

The Thursday deal was to make it Rugby night, with an ITM Cup match at 5:30, NRC game 7:30 and Rugby HQ 9:30. All broadcast games will be Thurs night and Fox at their discretion can broadcast more if they want I believe.

I'd imagine you're in the minority... it's a work night, and often a long one for me, so there's no chance in hell I can get to a match and if I watch it on TV, it will be on delay.

Saturday and Sunday arvo is the best time possible for footy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they've gone with broadcast times that has least competition from the NRL and AFL.

I think Thursday night is a good time for the broadcast slot.

As you say, if you have Foxtel, you can record it and watch it on delay.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was planning on going tonight but work and an assignment seem to be preventing me. Hopefully a good showing by City.

T

Train Without a Station

Not good for live attendance but fuck me, if you can't watch a game that's on at 730pm on a Thursday, you are clearly not in the target market that broadcasters and advertisers aim at.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Not good for live attendance but fuck me, if you can't watch a game that's on at 730pm on a Thursday, you are clearly not in the target market that broadcasters and advertisers aim at.

Just the reality of the job mate. Can get away early some days, but generally Thursday is shithouse ... Everyone wants to make sure Friday is a breeze so Thursday often ends up the busiest day with shit getting jammed down our throats.

But fuck it, I've got foxtel so I can record it. I still think it's a shit day for live sport though. Not sure what the ratings for the NRL have to say about it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I can understand the realities of work (well I'm a cushy consultant now, but working as a builder I did) but 730 to 930 on a weeknight is prime time because it attracts the best viewers.

It's only a shit time for attendances. But when the broadcaster is underwriting a lot of the comp, you need to provide what they want.

I will miss the kick off as the time gets in the way of my gym session (specifically gun sculpting) so I'll be recording it too. Thank you Foxtel IQ.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They're only playing one of the four games a week on Thursday night for the TV broadcast. Most games will be Saturday afternoon with a few on Sunday afternoon so it's not like all the games are at non-friendly live attendance times.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Is it just me or does the star in the Stars logo look like a masonic symbol? Better watch out for the Stars captain giving the ref a secret handshake before the game...

sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png
masonic_logo2.ashx

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Is it just me or does the star in the Stars logo look like a masonic symbol? Better watch out for the Stars captain giving the ref a secret handshake before the game.

sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png
masonic_logo2.ashx

It goes deeper - if you turn it upside down it looks something like this:

baphomet.jpg

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Jagman, I don't understand how any Rebels players are from NSW teams? Considering these NSW teams have yet to exist in a professional sporting environment until tonight I'm lost for an understanding of how any Rebels contracted player is from one of these teams.

Or do you mean because these players once played rugby for a club rugby team as part of these NRC teams they have some sort of divine right to the services of these players in perpetuity?

That's like saying that since I went to Bond University that my employer has plundered Bond's professional talent and if Bond ever start working professionally in my field I should be going back there if they want me. People go there to get somewhere else, much like they play club rugby to get somewhere else (that pays them).

Rising are an NRC team like the Rams or Rays they do not have contracted players in the same sense as Super Rugby teams (like the Rebels) do. It's meant to be a semi pro comp run out of a shoe box. Super Rugby players are meant to be spread around the competition at least that was the original premise coming from the ARU through the media yet the Sydney teams are left rather thin, particularly Rays (with 3 super rugby players) and Stars (with 5 or 6). I'm not complaining about this. The Sydney teams will have the best depth in their squads to make up for it. I think Melbourne need a helping hand and i hope they do well for the sake of Aus Rugby but it would be a weird competition if the Rebels and Spirit could just buy the best Rams, Rays, and Stars players every year through their corresponding Super Rugby team and they didn't have the choice to play for their original NRC team. The NSW teams obviously can't compete with Super Rugby contracts can they?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who is going to pay to relocate players around the country for three months?

That is one of the problems with the original ARC. The players costs were way too high.

In an ideal world maybe the Super Rugby players would be split more evenly but it is not cost effective.

Nor is it realistic to force people to relocate for three months.

Half the purpose is that the best players from the Rays, Rams, Stars, NSW Country etc. who aren't currently contracted to a Super Rugby team are trying to achieve that. That is the ideal outcome for all those players.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Stars flew up today, that goes to show you the tight budget on this comp. I wonder if they're flying down tonight too? Maybe not for 7pm games but I'd imagine it's fly up night before and same day back for 3pm games.

T

Train Without a Station

Fuck me Jagman I certainly won't be weeping any crocodile tears for the Stars being short on Super Rugby players in their squad. They had the hubris to say they were big enough to go alone rather than align with the Rams, Rays(unrealistic yes) or Eagles knowing full well that Super Rugby players would be spread around similar to how it has been.

I was all for them going alone, but if all these consortiums expected a go they had to be aware of the spread it would have on the playing talent.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah Qwerty pretty sure last flight out is around 11. Would not have time for post match recovery then the 30 minute trip to the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.