• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City vs. Sydney Stars - NRC Round 1, 21/08 @ Ballymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Who is going to pay to relocate players around the country for three months?

That is one of the problems with the original ARC. The players costs were way too high.

In an ideal world maybe the Super Rugby players would be split more evenly but it is not cost effective.

Nor is it realistic to force people to relocate for three months.

Half the purpose is that the best players from the Rays, Rams, Stars, NSW Country etc. who aren't currently contracted to a Super Rugby team are trying to achieve that. That is the ideal outcome for all those players.

How have so many Force and Rebels players played in the Shute Shield in the past years. Who paid for all the Rebels that played in last year's Shute final to "relocate?" The players preferred to play there so relocated themselves I'm assuming, and probably stayed with family or friends. The Rebels don't allow their players to do this anymore but that needed to be supported by the ARU for the sanction to work. The ARU are not stopping players playing in the NRC team of their choice, I'd expect.

The relocation costs of the ARC worked the other way; moving players to Melbourne from their home towns. So it's not the same.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sure if players chose to forgo 3 months of the salary, the VRU would have no objections to them playing somewhere else.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How have so many Force and Rebels players played in the Shute Shield in the past years. Who paid for all the Rebels that played in last year's Shute final to "relocate?" The players preferred to play there so relocated themselves I'm assuming, and probably stayed with family or friends. The Rebels don't allow their players to do this anymore but that needed to be supported by the ARU for the sanction to work. The ARU are not stopping players playing in the NRC team of their choice, I'd expect.

The relocation costs of the ARC worked the other way; moving players to Melbourne from their home towns. So it's not the same.

The situation has changed from last year because now there's the NRC.

The ARU has accepted that in order to improve the WA and Vic comps the Super Rugby players need to participate. WA is a few years ahead and that is happening in spades and now there are quality players coming through to the Super Rugby team that have never played in Sydney and Brisbane.

By virtue of the strength of the Sydney and Brisbane competitions, the players representing those teams in the NRC that don't have Super Rugby contracts should be stronger than those from Melbourne and Perth. That is fortunate because clearly those sides have more Super Rugby players in their team.

As Qwerty mentioned, the Stars are unlucky with how many players they are missing through injury.

T

Train Without a Station

BH it's also due to injury and performance management. That was apparently the actual driver behind the Brumbies introducing it.

Players may play coming back from injury having last been seen by their team Thursday, pick up a knock on Saturday and then not be back at training on Monday to be assessed.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
BH it's also due to injury and performance management. That was apparently the actual driver behind the Brumbies introducing it.

Players may play coming back from injury having last been seen by their team Thursday, pick up a knock on Saturday and then not be back at training on Monday to be assessed.

TWAS I don't begrudge Rising fielding the best team available to them. I won't be cheering for them but for the sake of Aus Rugby I hope they win the thing. But can't you see that the Rams and Rising should, over the future years, have equal opportunity to keep their players?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't think you'd find more than 10ish relocated, which isn't too much more than the number that have relocated this year.

You blokes are crying wolf but Ben Meehan, who started Super Rugby this year, couldn't even get a gig!

I think it might seem the Rebels/Rising are being dodgy but I think it's probably the shoe string budget too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TWAS I don't begrudge Rising fielding the best team available to them. I won't be cheering for them but for the sake of Aus Rugby I hope they win the thing. But can't you see that the Rams and Rising should, over the future years, have equal opportunity to keep their players?

Not really in my opinion.

If a player from the Rams gets signed to play Super Rugby in Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane etc. then there is a high probability they will end up playing in the NRC for one of the teams in those locations.

Unless the NRC side is going to pay someone's salary for the full year, why should a player remain tied to them.

By virtue of there being 4 bids for teams in NSW, they are going to have far less Super Rugby players to draw on automatically. That is further compounded by the fact that there are a lot of Waratahs in the Wallabies.

Who knows, next year maybe some new Super Rugby players will ask their Super Rugby franchise if they can continue to play for the same NRC side they played for in 2014 and they might be allowed to. It's uncertain at this stage.

T

Train Without a Station

But ultimately, it should be at the discretion of the Super Rugby team which pays them.

For example, if a Rams player was offered a contract to play for the Rebels, it would be prudent to stipulate he wished to remain a Ram if so. The Rebels may accept that, or they may tell them to take it or leave it. Considering they're giving the player an opportunity to be a full time professional that's their choice.

After all, Nobody playing Top 14 is dropping back to play Shute Shield when they don't make the 23. Why not? Because their employer tells them where to play.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Super rugby players are ultimately contracted to the ARU. So they go where the ARU tells them hence Lahiff to NSW country. The ARU permit the teams to nominate 16 players and then sort it out from there.

Are the rebels going to stop paying lahiffs contract? Did stop paying Jones' contract when he played for the Marlins last year? All the super rugby teams have agreed to the set up of the NRC as have the RUPA. It's not club rugby it's the national competition. Sydney NRC teams should not lose their best best players to super rugby contracts. What if a penrith player becomes a huge hit for the Rams and becomes their "face" essentially. Then said player plays for Rising the next year even though they don't need him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Super rugby players are ultimately contracted to the ARU. So they go where the ARU tells them hence Lahiff to NSW country. The ARU permit the teams to nominate 16 players and then sort it out from there.

Are the rebels going to stop paying lahiffs contract? Did stop paying Jones' contract when he played for the Marlins last year? All the super rugby teams have agreed to the set up of the NRC as have the RUPA. It's not club rugby it's the national competition. Sydney NRC teams should not lose their best best players to super rugby contracts. What if a penrith player becomes a huge hit for the Rams and becomes their "face" essentially. Then said player plays for Rising the next year even though they don't need him.

That might come into his contract negotiations.

But at the end of the day is that player going to want a Super Rugby contract and be a full time professional or is he going to want to be the face of the Rams?

Lahiff wasn't picked up by the Rising in their 16 players they could choose. NSW Country wanted him. I don't think the ARU decided which team he would play for.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be fair they've been doing Thursdays on and off for years now. What I don't get is why we're starting on a Thursday. awful day for viewers.

From memory, NRL mainly plays Thursdays at the start of the season these days, although they have in the past played the occasional one at the end.

Thursday, as mentioned, was for Foxtel to give its viewers an extra night of sport.

Hopefully interest is high enough for a Sunday arvo one to get some airtime too.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So when are Quade and Will due back?

Good question. This quote was in Courier Mail today but might try ask them if see them there tonight.

“Quade’s been a huge help for all the boys. I’ve been following him about which he might find a bit annoying but I’m keen to learn as much from him as I can.” Cooper is not expected back from a collarbone injury until late in the NRC

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...or-brisbane-city/story-fnii0ksb-1227031296741

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Stupidly similar jerseys.

Should have gone down to Ballymore, little bit far for tonight. Go Brissy.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Stupidly similar jerseys.

Should have gone down to Ballymore, little bit far for tonight. Go Brissy.

Four teams with Orange/Yellow jerseys... just bloody stupid, but apparently none of the teams would budge on their colours and they can't afford an away strip.

Bit crappy so far, but Maloney really is a bloody shocking commentator. Not quite in the Ray "Fucktard" Hadley category over at League, but he's not doing a very good job.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Four teams with Orange/Yellow jerseys. just bloody stupid, but apparently none of the teams would budge on their colours and they can't afford an away strip.

Bit crappy so far, but Maloney really is a bloody shocking commentator. Not quite in the Ray "Fucktard" Hadley category over at League, but he's not doing a very good job.
He is struggling a bit, but in fairness, he has a lot of names to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.