• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
The whole point of the Senate is that it is a house of review and ordinarily will not provide the government to pass any legislation they want.

Almost every government has to compromise to get legislation through. That's the entire point.

The Coalition hasn't seemed to get that yet. If they can't convince any of the other parties/senators in the Senate to support their legislation it probably means it shouldn't be passed and needs to be reconsidered.

Usless they are just saying no as a ploitical tool. ALP is saying NO to items it put forward at the last election so it is political expediance and screw Australia

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Usless they are just saying no as a ploitical tool. ALP is saying NO to items it put forward at the last election so it is political expediance and screw Australia

Why should the ALP and Greens vote for legislation that the LNP took to the last election that they opposed?

If they still oppose it and think it shouldn't be passed. It's up to the LNP to come up with some legislation that the senate is willing to pass.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

True, but (a) their platform didn't find favour with the electorate and the ALP would be silly not to reconsider and revise their policies and (b) their leadership has changed which changes the polices, just look at the backflip by the Coalition on carbon pricing which they also took to the electorate and which Abbott dumped as soon as he rolled Turnbull.

You could also consider Abbott's relentless negativity in opposition and think about whether that was political expedience or high-minded statesmanship. If you agree it was political expediency, I accept that the Coalition's strategy doesn't justify the ALP doing the same but it does make a mockery of Coalition complaints that the ALP is not respecting their mandate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why should the ALP and Greens vote for legislation that the LNP took to the last election that they opposed?

If they still oppose it and think it shouldn't be passed. It's up to the LNP to come up with some legislation that the senate is willing to pass.

The reference was items ALP took to the last election and they now oppose so if they had of won they would have put it to the house and senate to pass

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
True, but (a) their platform didn't find favour with the electorate and the ALP would be silly not to reconsider and revise their policies and (b) their leadership has changed which changes the polices, just look at the backflip by the Coalition on carbon pricing which they also took to the electorate and which Abbott dumped as soon as he rolled Turnbull.

You could also consider Abbott's relentless negativity in opposition and think about whether that was political expedience or high-minded statesmanship. If you agree it was political expediency, I accept that the Coalition's strategy doesn't justify the ALP doing the same but it does make a mockery of Coalition complaints that the ALP is not respecting their mandate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a) The platform or the people standing on it?

b ) Difference is Libs took that policy to the electorate and won. ALP lost and changed leaders true but cut everything. Ask Bill what policy he has on anything and it is just no to what ever Abbott wants. Similar to his approach when asked about Gillard. What ever she says it OK but the reverse.

c) expediancy or a small target policy can be a position. He did have 3 policies two of which have now basically been achieved.Carbon tax and Boats

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The policies/plans/programmes that the Coalition took to the election are not the same policies/plans/programmes that they're trying to implement.

Lying to the electorate has consequences.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You are flat out wrong on wage growth vs productivity. Wage growth is at its lowest level since 1997 and productivity growth is at its highest since 2002. There is certainly no wage explosion happening now.

Yes and no ................................
Wages growth is at low levels compared to recent years, however labour productivity is not at historically high levels.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-06/ged-kearney-wages-productivity-claim-overstated/5227450

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I am worried about the damage Team Staya will do if Abbott is going to spin it to death. Remember the "unAustralian" label from the Howard years. Could be applied anywhere and anyhow to shut down any discussion or other point of view.

This with us or against us shit never works for long but is really divisive while it does. I am hoping this time it will not work long with the internet being dominant and the government unable to control information as completely as they may have in the past.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The past 10-15 years of the war on terror in Afghanistan and Iraq has resulted in so many young Muslims becoming more radicalised.

The concept of a rogue Islamic state was a pipedream before the US invaded Afghanistan yet now it is a reality. The horse has bolted as far as the whole IS thing is concerned. I read yesterday that they now control an area bigger than Jordan.

It's not like it is just a few radicals in some remote village somewhere.

It will be interesting to see what the path forward is. Clearly turning countries into a war zone for a decade or more doesn't calm a situation. It just turns people into radicals, particularly young people who have grown up in war and don't know any different and just see the west as their oppressor.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
BvMwTEBCMAIOldQ.jpg:large

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpa1/t1.0-9/p526x296/1535406_10152675698469913_6863986896851982610_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.