• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It doesn't seem logical to have multiple upper level games on the same field in the same day though. All things taken into account, you have muddled field markings, different goal posts, and I don't think soccer would like the state the field was left in by the other, and apparently neither would rugby.

Those eminently practical considerations were secondary to the philosophy of giving soccer playing boys of the school a chance to experience the best facilities provided by their school.
As with so many issues around schoolboy rugby (such as scholarships), there are many factors that influence opinions and decisions that go way beyond purely rugby considerations.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
Those eminently practical considerations were secondary to the philosophy of giving soccer playing boys of the school a chance to experience the best facilities provided by their school.
As with so many issues around schoolboy rugby (such as scholarships), there are many factors that influence opinions and decisions that go way beyond purely rugby considerations.

I was saying it would be bad both ways. I don't think either would like it and so it should've been either alternating or just one chosen.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
7 days since the last shot has been fired.
All is quiet on the western front.
Personally I think it is terrific that everyone has taken their holidays at the same time.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looking at the lists of Scots 1st XV 2015 being bandied around, one suspects that there could be an element of rinse and repeat next season with respect to the margin in some games.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Looking at the lists of Scots 1st XV 2015 being bandied around, one suspects that there could be an element of rinse and repeat next season with respect to the margin in some games.
It remains to be seen how effective Scot's will be if they adopt a similar style of rugby next year. It looked far less effective, without Crighton and Porter two weeks ago against Joeys. It is a style of rugby they are working to adopt across all the age groups, so I would be surprised if they radically change the way they play this year to next.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Crichton and Porter were outstanding last week.

Scots played with great verve and are a side both well coached and well assembled.

They are outstanding to watch and hopefully will feed talent into the Shute Shield and above. However for the future of the GPS rugby I hope the field levels out over the next few seasons and we see more competitive rugby.

Kings won most of the senior games on the day (that I saw) and held Scots for the first half but when Scots clicked it was a great display of Rugby. Well done to the Scots boys as the are a talented group and I cannot see anyone stopping them based on that form.

However when the supporters of other GPS winter sports start having a dig at the rugby crew over poor results it may be time we take stock of what is happening out there in teams other than the top tier.

If you see teams beaten by 100 or 50 or even 30 regularly in the Under 6's what you tend to see the next year is a disintegration of those teams. The good move on to other teams and the mass are lost to the sport.

I know GPS is not the Under 6's and is an elite schoolboy comp, but the effect is somewhat the same over a much longer time frame.

Not sure on the answer and 259 pages of posts indicate that we may never get one but perhaps a more transparent bursary / scholarship program agreed amongst all schools may be where we must head even though there is a GPS code that is meant to ensure this is not territory we enter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe the transparent programme is where things should head, however it's not as if the prohibition of inducements/bursaries/scholarships is an historically inappropriate legacy agreement.

Inspired by the Bubbleball debacle of last year, the AAGPS Heads recently "renegotiated" their code of conduct, and it reflects the current thinking of some of the leading educators in Sydney. Those leaders believe that sporting scholarships transparent or otherwise have no place within their association.

1st XV rugby at AAGPS may be very pleasant to watch if the Arms Race was open slather, however what impact would that concentration of excellence have on the rest of the Rugby playing pyramid in clubland, and the CAS, ISA, CCC, AICES, CHS and those within the AAGPS that do not subscribe to (or can't afford) the sporting scholarship philosophy?

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
I am not really advocating an arms race, in fact I am totally against it but obviously some AAGPS heads currently have put in place a program that is at odds with both the stated position of other educators within the same association and the code that is supposed to underpin the AAGPS.

Has the program been stopped, stifled or otherwise?

What happens for the next few years whilst the program is still in place?

More questions without real answers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^
All AAGPS schools are in total compliance with the agreement apparently, although one school has found that there have been some irregularities in a very small number of their enrolments.

Going by information in the public arena, those irregularities were the result of over zealousness on behalf of staff rather than an orchestrated and sanctioned campaign from the Head of the School.

Steps have been put in place at that School to ensure that this won't happen again.

I'm not sure on detail surrounding the ongoing enrolment of those irregularities. One suspects that they will simply "work their way through the system".

One could not blame the kids or their parents for accepting an offer of an "irregular" funding arrangement at a school, so they shouldn't really have to suffer for the actions of a couple of over zealous staff members.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^^^
I love your gentle sarcasm HJ in the post above. Of course no Head of School would have noticed (nor directed!) some staff bringing into the school top athletes in Cricket, Rugby, and Basketball. The financial arrangements similarly would not have been part of the Head's area of responsibility either.

Your point about not blaming the boys is well made.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^
I love your gentle sarcasm HJ in the post above. Of course no Head of School would have noticed (nor directed!) some staff bringing into the school top athletes in Cricket, Rugby, and Basketball. The financial arrangements similarly would not have been part of the Head's area of responsibility either.

Your point about not blaming the boys is well made.

Not to mention that the code specifically states that the Headmaster is responsible and deemed to know.

Code of Practice

In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
  3. In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
  4. While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.

S

spirit of cupertino

The brilliant thing about rugby and why it is so integral to the boys' education is that it is values based. It might look barbaric but it is actually based on values like self discipline and respect. To be frank the scholarships program has failed Scots as evidenced by the results of the other teams, and evidenced by those great players who pulled out completely, complaining that these same values had been lost. The 1st XV is a pyrrhic victory. Copy Scots at your peril.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Yes, sorry about that. It's almost like asking if JB was readin or writin the book.
I actually thought something was wrong with the thread.
For what it's worth I thought HJ's summation at 5170 was spot on.
Good luck to all the teams over the next three weeks as the season comes to a close.

Status
Not open for further replies.