• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I quite like most of the teams kits but that referee kit is awful. It's a minor complaint but aside from the colour being ugly, it looks like an AFL umpire's shirt, needs a collar.

T

turnovertwopasses

Any good bloke rugby fan who isnt a uni mercenary should turn on Fox Sports 2
now. Buildcorp are getting bent over by Brisbane City. This is superb. What a glorious opener for this new national competition.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just watched the first game and the NRC is a hit for me. Just what Australia has been missing. You could straight away see there is plenty of good talent out there that will make a name for themselves in this comp.

As for the rule changes I thought they worked really well. Penalties are almost a non-option so plenty of attacking rugby. Casual fans will love it. The scoring system also led to teams opting for a scrum of line-out off penalties so still plenty of reliance on a sturdy set piece.

The 3 points for a conversion seems like a bit much, but I can understand the reasoning behind this, as it ensures that the importance of a good place kicker is not forgotten.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So there were 0 attempts at penalty goal, plenty of running rugby and inventive play, 10 tries, no yellow cards and only 20 penalties in the match. New points system a complete success in game 1. Well, some doubts about the 3 point conversion, but I guess you have to do something to please the people that really love goal kicking.

The scrums worked really well too. Both teams respected the time limit, didn't see a reset (could have missed one as I didn't see 15 mins) and the halfbacks were able to get the ball away cleanly.

If this brand of rugby continues I think there'll be some great games and some good crowds for the Saturday and Sunday afternoon matches as the competition progresses. Get behind it people!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow, that was ordinary.

I thought the whole point of the NRC was to be a step up from Shute Shield. So why have the Stars run out with half of Sydney University's First Grade, plus a few Colts and Second Graders and some subbies from Balmain? Defence on both sides was poor and everyone tossed the ball around as though they were playing Sevens. What genius decided that it was good preparation for Super Rugby to tinker with the Laws to produce a style of Rugby different to Super Rugby?

This was not the Currie Cup. By a long shot.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Wow, that was ordinary.

I thought the whole point of the NRC was to be a step up from Shute Shield. So why have the Stars run out with half of Sydney University's First Grade, plus a few Colts and Second Graders and some subbies from Balmain? Defence on both sides was poor and everyone tossed the ball around as though they were playing Sevens. What genius decided that it was good preparation for Super Rugby to tinker with the Laws to produce a style of Rugby different to Super Rugby?

This was not the Currie Cup. By a long shot.

The train has left the station Snort and you seem to have judged the whole journey at the very first stop.
Hang in there and give it some time, at least a few complete rounds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Who were the colts

The 20 for the Stars is a Colt but is also a U20s rep from the recent JWC.

Regarding the standard of play. The Stars are Uni, yes. In the first half they were the dominant team because they had a seasons worth of combinations and cohesion and it showed. However as soon as City began to get some semblance of similar cohesion they ran away with it. They were clearly the better team. I think the Stars will discover this throughout the NRC. As the oppo team build cohesion their one club model mat very we'll be exposed as not quite up to scratch.

As for the game in general. On the RC it was mentioned that it was a loose affair. Which is true. It also got very wet but overall it was played at pace with great endeavour. The comp will evolve in the coming weeks. It will get more physical to match that endeavour. The majority seem to be very enthused by what we saw tonight with more to come.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Game made me really pumped for Sunday.

Hopefully the Weather is dry, and a similar game is had in Melbourne, although ideally without all the handling errors.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The game made me suspect that as well as the new rules there might also be a coaches agreement not to play cynical rugby. Least cynical game I've ever seen. Well done ARU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.