• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Who would feel more confident if we had Robbo on the bench for those last 10 minutes if needed rather than Cowan?

I'm a fan of Cowan and his play around the field is really strong but I can't help but feel that it would be good to have Robbo there for a crucial scrum late in the game.

I wonder if that thought has crossed Link's mind?

Link obviously values the work load + scrummaging of Slipper. Pek whilst a bit deficient at scrum time probably offers more than Robbo around the park.

BUT shit in the last 10 minutes when our scrum seems to be under pressure (with Slipper off) I think I would prefer that scrum being solid - therefore I would go with ben. However if Slipper got injured early I'd then prefer Cowan. Suppose its the same for all guys in starting positions.

Answer: Slipper doesn't get injured, replaced by Robbo at 65-70.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez reckon there must be some nervous NZ'ers around here and back in the Land of Darkness. Eden Park - bring it on !!!!

To take from good old Gough Whitlam's campaign slogan in the early 70's:

"IT'S TIME"

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Selective quoting.
Citing evidence well beyond the question: suggests he was caught just a "wee bit" on the assertion that Peyper had admitted stuff.
He's a master manipulator.
Is Peyepr going to come out and correct the record? "I told him I had really ****ed up on this one but I told him that this was only a minor **** up, by my standards".
Are we really that much more cynical than our Anzac brothers/sisters?

Peyper could say the same thing after every match he referees. (and may well have, but Hansen is the first to repeat such a conversation publicly)

A cheap shot really as Hansen would know that refs can't hold a press conference to deny or otherwise that such a conversation took place, or to correct the record.

Perhaps a career in politics beckons for Mr Hansen after he finishes with rugby? The Piggy Muldoon of the 21st century.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Jeez reckon there must be some nervous NZ'ers around here and back in the Land of Darkness. Eden Park - bring it on !!!!

To take from good old Gough Whitlam's campaign slogan in the early 70's:

"IT'S TIME"

The ABs are still the favourites, but Hansen's behaviour since Saturday night suggests we're a lot closer than the Kiwis would like.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think some you (IS, QH) are jumping at shadows on the Hansen comments. What about the "private" conversations between players and the ref prior to the game and then in a pre-game interview the captain or coach says we've discussed this and that with the ref. yes leading questions are often asked by the media, but nonetheless what is discussed is revealed and to what end? Not just to answer the media's question I'd suggest.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think Peyper was pretty clear with the AB scrum - they were pre-engaging* and he told them to cut that shit out. They didn't, so he short-armed them. He said he was going to penalise them as well.

Fuck I wish we didn't have Cowan on the bench.

* you have to ask: if the kiwi scrum was so dominant, why were they removing even a small hit from the engagement?

Reactions: TSR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Peyper was Peru clear with the AB scrum - they were pre-engaging* and he told them to cut that shit out. They didn't, so he short-armed them. He said he was going to penalise them as well.

Fuck I wish we didn't have Cowan on the bench.

* you have to ask: if the kiwi scrum was so dominant, why were they removing even a small hit from the engagement?

And why is their coach verballing the ref over scrum penalties/fks?

T

Train Without a Station

What the fuck is Hanson commenting on Scrums anyway? I know he's a fat fluffybunny and all now but wasn't he a back?

M

Moono75

Green and Gold Devil Dogs tasted blood last week. In NZ to finish the kill. 2 Days to go!

T

Tip

Hansen is a lvl80 troll overlord. He is every journalists wetdream and never fails with a juicy soundbite or (10x)one liner. He practically writes the articles for them.

At first I took everything he said at face value. Then I realised that he's the sensei of mindgames and referee management. Now I literally cant wait for him to open his mouth and lay some verbal blows at referees and the opposition. (Fu*k last weeks take on kurtley is a classic example)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
lol, lighten up. This thread is already 30 pages of moaning and accusatory comments.

Guess I should have used my ;) emoticon, barbs always go better this way.
Me too.
But it wasn't always like this: you guys were the ones in a cold sweat by Thursday - remember?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Link obviously values the work load + scrummaging of Slipper. Pek whilst a bit deficient at scrum time probably offers more than Robbo around the park.

BUT shit in the last 10 minutes when our scrum seems to be under pressure (with Slipper off) I think I would prefer that scrum being solid - therefore I would go with ben. However if Slipper got injured early I'd then prefer Cowan. Suppose its the same for all guys in starting positions.

Answer: Slipper doesn't get injured, replaced by Robbo at 65-70.

Has Robinsons scrummaging even been that good? I thought it has been quite poor the last 2 years. It use to be his point of strength but I think he's far from our best scrimmager at the moment.

Disappointed Sio is injured, he would provide great impact from the bench.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Has Robinsons scrummaging even been that good? I thought it has been quite poor the last 2 years. It use to be his point of strength but I think he's far from our best scrimmager at the moment.

Disappointed Sio is injured, he would provide great impact from the bench.

Yeah you probably are right. But scrummaging was his strength and he supposedly was classed a number of years ago as the best LHP in the world !!!! The game seems to have moved on somewhat and around the park work nearly seems just as important.

Link at the Reds and now Wallabies seems to be happy with a scrum that wins its feeds even if a bit dusty at times but with the 3 front rowers having a very good work ethic around the paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.