• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Interestingly enough. Over on The Roar an Aussie bloke living in SA mentioned that this game was actually broadcast via DSTV in the Republic. He and his co-workers were impressed by the game. Made the comparison between it and the ITM Cup.

The Currie Cup comment is a little silly for mine. To expect a competition in its first game of its first season to match the standard of a competition that over 100 years old is a little ridiculous. He'll, if it gets up to ITM standard in a year or two I'll be proper chuffed considering that's in its 39th season.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Wow, that was ordinary.

I thought the whole point of the NRC was to be a step up from Shute Shield. So why have the Stars run out with half of Sydney University's First Grade, plus a few Colts and Second Graders and some subbies from Balmain? Defence on both sides was poor and everyone tossed the ball around as though they were playing Sevens. What genius decided that it was good preparation for Super Rugby to tinker with the Laws to produce a style of Rugby different to Super Rugby?

This was not the Currie Cup. By a long shot.
Then don't watch it.
Problem solved.
The rest of us can still enjoy it,and watch it grow.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
There's already a game that's super fast and don't contest scrums with kids playing its called rugby league or school boy rugby. Now all we need is interchange what a joke. If you want fast rugby with bad defense watch sevens don't spoil a great game.

T

Tigers Tale

Did anyone else struggle last night with the fact that we had two teams in very similar kits, then we put the referees in a similar colour and to top it off we played with a ball that was the same colour as the team jerseys - must have been a broadcasters dream!!!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Did anyone else struggle last night with the fact that we had two teams in very similar kits, then we put the referees in a similar colour and to top it off we played with a ball that was the same colour as the team jerseys - must have been a broadcasters dream!!!

Honestly no. I knew who was who. Different shades of yellow made it easier. For the most part I don't think the clashes will be too difficult to distinguish however when the Stars and the Spirit meet that could be a different story.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought the kits were easy enough to tell apart at the game, though I imagine it might have been harder on TV.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I thought I would but I didn't. The yellows were just different enough with the shorts and socks being the deciding factor.

It's a bad branding decision more than an issue for broadcasters and refs but we'll see how the other yellows go together.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Brad Wilkin (Bench Loose Forward for City) is first year out of school. He didn't seem to be out of place when he came on for Shatz just after half time.

I think the argument is Colts-aged V actual Colts. Nothing wrong with Colts-aged players being there, happens in NZ too.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There's already a game that's super fast and don't contest scrums with kids playing its called rugby league or school boy rugby. Now all we need is interchange what a joke. If you want fast rugby with bad defense watch sevens don't spoil a great game.
What do you want?
80 minutes of fucking scrums?
It was the first game of the first round of a new comp.
How about you wait a few rounds and identify trends before you put the boot in?
I think a couple of mismatches were more responsible for a lot of what you complain about,than rule changes.
Buts let's see eh?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What do you want?
80 minutes of fucking scrums?
It was the first game of the first round of a new comp.
How about you wait a few rounds and identify trends before you put the boot in?
I think a couple of mismatches were more responsible for a lot of what you complain about,than rule changes.
Buts let's see eh?

Wholeheartedly agree but it's also worth noting first round of the ITM is always similar in terms of open rugby, then teams get more clinical.

When you combine good players with a short prep, anything can happen.

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thought I would but I didn't. The yellows were just different enough with the shorts and socks being the deciding factor.

Yeah it actually wasn't too bad last night. Having said that, I'd still like to see the gold/yellow teams get themselves an away jersey.

xccjWku.jpg

The Spirit could get themselves a black alternate:

Mv7gWQa.png

And Rohan Hoffmann might have looked better, say, (prettier?) in pink:

1LIbx8C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.