• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Link at the Reds and now Wallabies seems to be happy with a scrum that wins its feeds even if a bit dusty at times but with the 3 front rowers having a very good work ethic around the paddock

Personally I think our scrum looks better then it has in years. Not perfect but it was pretty close with the All Blacks scrum last weekend.

I hope it would only get stronger too once Moore and/or TPN returns.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Robinsons scrummaging even been that good? I thought it has been quite poor the last 2 years. It use to be his point of strength but I think he's far from our best scrimmager at the moment.

Disappointed Sio is injured, he would provide great impact from the bench.

He had no issues with Owen Franks in the Super Rugby final so that's a pretty good indication he's up to it.

You'd expect him to get on top of the reserve THP against the All Blacks which is who he'd likely face.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally I think our scrum looks better then it has in years. Not perfect but it was pretty close with the All Blacks scrum last weekend.

I hope it would only get stronger too once Moore and/or TPN returns.

... until Cowan came on which is what people are worried about.

Slipper and Kepu are going fantastically. It's the end of the game that's the worry.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
... until Cowan came on which is what people are worried about.

Slipper and Kepu are going fantastically. It's the end of the game that's the worry.

At this stage I don't think Robinson is going to improve it drastically. He needs another season to get find his scrummaging legs again. I know you mentioned he held his own in the super xv final but he needs a bit more consistency I think.

Cowan didn't look like a liability at scrum time in super rugby so I would hope he will be able to hold his own given another chance and he deserves another chance (over Robinson).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wonder if Hansen asked Peyper about the triple advantage to the Wallabies inside the AB 22 that he let expire?

You know, in the interests of fairness and consistency

o_O

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At this stage I don't think Robinson is going to improve it drastically. He needs another season to get find his scrummaging legs again. I know you mentioned he held his own in the super xv final but he needs a bit more consistency I think.

Cowan didn't look like a liability at scrum time in super rugby so I would hope he will be able to hold his own given another chance and he deserves another chance (over Robinson).

If we ever agree on something I'll start getting worried.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Has Robinsons scrummaging even been that good? I thought it has been quite poor the last 2 years. It use to be his point of strength but I think he's far from our best scrimmager at the moment.

Disappointed Sio is injured, he would provide great impact from the bench.

Robinson used to ride the power hit and use the momentum to drive under the opposing tight-head, particularly if they were tall with long levers (Smit was the classic example) and then lever up so the tight-head couldn't apply the full force directly forward. He hasn't really been able to modify his technique since the IRB removed the power hit. They may be due in part to the lack of dedicated scrum coaching at the Tahs. He might benefit from Blades' training the Wallaby set-up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Robinson used to ride the power hit and use the momentum to drive under the opposing tight-head, particularly if they were tall with long levers (Smit was the classic example) and then lever up so the tight-head couldn't apply the full force directly forward. He hasn't really been able to modify his technique since the IRB removed the power hit. They may be due in part to the lack of dedicated scrum coaching at the Tahs. He might benefit from Blades' training the Wallaby set-up.

Might need some Giraffe peptides in those legs of his

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I think you hit the nail on the head. On the bright side players like Slipper and Alexander really benefited from the new laws.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think you hit the nail on the head. On the bright side players like Slipper and Alexander really benefited from the new laws.

Funnily enough, given the power hit was thought to de-emphasise technique, the new laws emphasise size, strength and the ability to wrestle into a good position after the feed. Robinson needs to work out how to use his lower centre of gravity to still get under the tight-head after the feed instead of using momentum from the hit.

Although Robinson is not thought to be as proficient around the ground as some props, he is good at the breakdown and uses his lower centre of gravity to get a few pilfers. This can be as important as props who are more noted ball-runners, depending on the mix of players you have in the forward pack.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry I don't get the Messam image too much... Is video meant to start too??

Either way I think Wallabies and Link much rather play v Messam than Kaino - Kaino's way tougher... and Messam was sorted out in the ring by aussie Paul Gallen earlier in the year I believe.... :D even if gallen had been pumping the peptides...

I think Messam's addition to their back row actually evens the balance out further... definitely not as physical as kaino so nothing to be too worried about...

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Another case of Hansen's character.... just imagine what he'll be like when the Aussies actually beat them (whether this weekend or in future)

Hansen’s willingness to discuss the rights and wrongs of Peyper’s game contrast sharply to last year, when the All Blacks coach got into a war of words with Ewen McKenzie over the South African’s performance in Bledisloe II in Wellington.
On that occasion, Peyper refused to sin-bin any Kiwis despite blatant tactics to kill Wallaby ball when on attack, conceding seven penalties in their own 22. When McKenzie and Will Genia questioned why Peyper hadn’t done more, Hansen said: “Usually you’re better off to play the game and get on with it, you can’t blame the ref.”
“You could pick holes in every decision made, but where does it get you? It is what it is, you’ve just got to take it on the chin,” he added.
“If they think that’s why they lost the game — the hardest job on the field at the moment is the referee’s.
“They’re getting put under a massive amount of pressure from their own boss, and they don’t need coaches to be putting it on them either.”

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the most like scenario is a close loss for the wallabies this weekend and then a win at Suncorp in the third game. Hansen will predictably clamour about how it was a dead-rubber and didn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.