• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
BDA - I think you're probably right there... everyone certainly expects the ABs to win and may be one bridge too far to win @ eden park...

BUT pressure is still definitely all with the ABs - Aussie got everything to play for and attack attack attack...!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Funnily enough, given the power hit was thought to de-emphasise technique, the new laws emphasise size, strength and the ability to wrestle into a good position after the feed. Robinson needs to work out how to use his lower centre of gravity to still get under the tight-head after the feed instead of using momentum from the hit.

Although Robinson is not thought to be as proficient around the ground as some props, he is good at the breakdown and uses his lower centre of gravity to get a few pilfers. This can be as important as props who are more noted ball-runners, depending on the mix of players you have in the forward pack.

I was on the bandwagon for many years to defuse the power hit because it was literally hit or miss and it devalued technique. It's good to see that the hit has been outlawed and I hope that the next generation of referees don't let it creep back in as their fathers and grandfathers did.

Fat Cat is proficient around the ground as you say but he is not a bruiser in contact whether making dominant tackles or dominant runs, nor is he a dominant counter-rucker.

I think that's another reason why he has been overlooked: because other props, on both sides such as: Kepu, Slipper and Alexander answer those requirements better, as does Sio.

McKenzie has given a premium to bruiser props and I think he is right in the matter.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'll put my balls on the line now....Wallabies to get pumped. Wallabies will lose game and get beat up physically around the park all night.

ABs held out with just 14 men for a quarter of the game. Yeah we lost Nonu and Kaino but Fardy still isn't as good as Messam and we get Conrad Smith back. Wallabies still don't have any wingers.

ABs will get better, ref will realise that Richie McCaw does actually know the game and it's Laws better than him and balance will be restored to the universe.

Folau to score an amazing try in the last 20min and make Wallaby fans believe that there is hope for a win in Bled III

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'll put my balls on the line now..Wallabies to get pumped.

ABs held out with just 14 men for a quarter of the game. Yeah we lost Nonu and Kaino but Fardy still isn't as good as Messam and we get Conrad Smith back. Wallabies still don't have any wingers.

ABs will get better, ref will realise that Richie McCaw does actually know the game and it's Laws better than him and balance will be restored to the universe.

You had me until the last para and then I realised: troll

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You had me until the last para and then I realised: troll

The last para was a bit of fun but I do think the ABs will be fine.....in about 36hrs or so you guys will probably be complaining about the blatant cheating or something again and how much of a troll/dick/mind-game master Hansen is as well as how Foley should have been selected at 10 with Phipps starting as well :)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
haha I realised he was troll (or delusional) after the words "get beat up physically around the park all night".

Not bloody likely. Cant wait for Skelton to start smashing into people in the last 20 minutes.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
haha I realised he was troll (or delusional) after the words "get beat up physically around the park all night".

Not bloody likely. Cant wait for Skelton to start smashing into people in the last 20 minutes.

Skelton is hardly an anomaly in NZ.....we've been running against and tackling big island boys every week since we were 7. 3x per week after about 12 :)

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was on the bandwagon for many years to defuse the power hit because it was literally hit or miss and it devalued technique. It's good to see that the hit has been outlawed and I hope that the next generation of referees don't let it creep back in as their fathers and grandfathers did.

Fat Cat is proficient around the ground as you say but he is not a bruiser in contact whether making dominant tackles or dominant runs, nor is he a dominant counter-rucker.

I think that's another reason why he has been overlooked: because other props, on both sides such as: Kepu, Slipper and Alexander answer those requirements better, as does Sio.

McKenzie has given a premium to bruiser props and I think he is right in the matter.
I don't disagree about getting rid of the power hit. Robinson needs to learn new techniques and perhaps that is as much due to the coaching as to Robinson himself.

As for bruiser props, I think it depends on the composition of the pack. If we had a blindside flanker who was more a ball runner and less involved in the rucks, unlike Fardy, then a prop who plays over the ball at the ruck would be more valuable. At present, that isn't the prop we need. But it might be if the other forwards are changed.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Another case of Hansen's character.. just imagine what he'll be like when the Aussies actually beat them (whether this weekend or in future)

Hansen’s willingness to discuss the rights and wrongs of Peyper’s game contrast sharply to last year, when the All Blacks coach got into a war of words with Ewen McKenzie over the South African’s performance in Bledisloe II in Wellington.
On that occasion, Peyper refused to sin-bin any Kiwis despite blatant tactics to kill Wallaby ball when on attack, conceding seven penalties in their own 22. When McKenzie and Will Genia questioned why Peyper hadn’t done more, Hansen said: “Usually you’re better off to play the game and get on with it, you can’t blame the ref.”
“You could pick holes in every decision made, but where does it get you? It is what it is, you’ve just got to take it on the chin,” he added.
“If they think that’s why they lost the game — the hardest job on the field at the moment is the referee’s.
“They’re getting put under a massive amount of pressure from their own boss, and they don’t need coaches to be putting it on them either.”
Yep he is a knob thats for sure.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The last para was a bit of fun but I do think the ABs will be fine...in about 36hrs or so you guys will probably be complaining about the blatant cheating or something again and how much of a troll/dick/mind-game master Hansen is as well as how Foley should have been selected at 10 with Phipps starting as well :)
And in 36 hours poor sheep all across NZ are eithier copping the brunt of celebration or frustration.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Peyper might (or might not) have said so in a private conversation. Hansen was the one highlighting the comments to the press.
You don't think if it was bullshit, that Jaco might have mentioned it. Are meetings between refs and coaches now considered private conversations?? I am sure if Link or anyone else had been told same thing he may mention it in interview.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And in 36 hours poor sheep all across NZ are eithier copping the brunt of celebration or frustration.
Or all the Aussie sisters will be copping the same huh Pete, as the saying goes in Aus a draw is like kissing your sister, not something a lot of us from other places know a lot about:p

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You don't think if it was bullshit, that Jaco might have mentioned it. Are meetings between refs and coaches now considered private conversations?? I am sure if Link or anyone else had been told same thing he may mention it in interview.

That's the point, refs aren't allowed to comment, or hold press conferences to put their side of it, we only get one side of a conversation between 2 people in which the one that can't comment is presented in a most unfavourable light.

Meetings aren't considered private conversations, but two participants talking over the match frankly and in private, would be a text book definition of a private conversation I'd have thought.

It may well be the last private conversation that a referee has with Hansen though, as we now know that any conversation with him is likely to be repeated to the press.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

It seems like an extremely detailed conversation to hold AFTER the game but at a time when Peyper has had an opportunity to review the whole game on video - because let's face it: if Pepyer had known during the game that the first short arm was dodgy he wouldn't have given the 2nd and if he had known during the game that he had been wrong to bin Crockof I doubt he would have binned Beuagan.
I smell bullshit - which is a lot larger and more pungent than sheep shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.